PDA

View Full Version : How to question: creating polygons to fill an area

joeldberry
08-24-2005, 02:32 PM
Is there any quick and easy method (besides clicking points in sequence and then creating a polygon from the selection) to fill a region with multiple polygons based on the surrounding geometry?

To illustrate my question:

Is there a convenient way to go from this:
http://63.73.84.9/joel/jet_engine_open.gif

to this:
http://63.73.84.9/joel/jet_engine_completed.gif

without having to painstakingly recreate each joining polygon from the points?

Thanks,

jdb

Dodgy
08-24-2005, 03:34 PM
Drag a lasso selection around the end points. Press 'p' for poly, and LW should fairly intelligently create two polys, one for each circle. Press 'l' (lowercase L) to bridge those those two polys and it should make the arrangement in the picture. If it doesn't do it quite right, just move one of the polys a little further away, then try it again (sometimes the bridge tool can become confused by polys which are in the same plane).

Silkrooster
08-24-2005, 07:00 PM
The easiest way I know of is create your cylinder, delete the end caps, select the side polys, copy, paste, flip, smooth shift, then merge points.
Silk

Captain Obvious
08-25-2005, 12:37 AM
You can also create a flat plane in a new layer and position it so it's just 'above' the lowest end of the cylinder. Then use the Drill>Slice tool and delete the unwanted polygons.

joeldberry
08-25-2005, 03:36 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses... the kicker is that I know how to replace the bottom "hole" with a solid polygon: I want to create several smaller polygons to fit together to fill in the hole, just like the second picture (notice it's not one big polygon, but several small polygons).

I have tried bridge and the other methods, but it doesn't create all the perfect little polygons. That's what I am asking...

Or do I just have to go selecting 4 points in sequence and convert it to a polygon for each of the small polygons? (Which is what I am trying to avoid in the future...)

Thanks,

jdb

Dodgy
08-25-2005, 04:47 PM
I have tried bridge and the other methods, but it doesn't create all the perfect little polygons. That's what I am asking...

It did create all the little polys as you were asking on my test. How odd. It was just two sweeps of the cursor and two key presses and it was done...

lesterfoster
08-25-2005, 04:50 PM
Have you tried to use the bevel tool with the Bridge tool?

Hear is a good video tutorial on how to do this
Bevel and Bridge tool (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/bridgering.mov)

Hear is the thread on where I found out about this method
2 new demos- splineguide and bridge tool (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=37003)

Is this what you are trying to do??

Surrealist.
08-25-2005, 07:37 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses... the kicker is that I know how to replace the bottom "hole" with a solid polygon: I want to create several smaller polygons to fit together to fill in the hole, just like the second picture (notice it's not one big polygon, but several small polygons).

Or do I just have to go selecting 4 points in sequence and convert it to a polygon for each of the small polygons? (Which is what I am trying to avoid in the future...)

Thanks,

jdb

That example is a wedge primitive for the future. :D "Once again, information I could have used yesterday" right?

Could have just pulled out a wedge and then added gemoetry to whatever you did to the top - can't see it clear.

For other things just plan ahead. Try and think in primitive shapes and the simplicity of your objects. Also try and think of the final outcome and the easyist way to get there before you start. Hind sight is 20/20 and all of that rubbish but that's why you have to do it alot to get good. :)

Here is a great site that goes over alot of the basic modeling tools/primitives and will give you some tips for the future.

http://www.suture.net/tutorials/modeling/index.php

joeldberry
08-29-2005, 06:50 AM
It did create all the little polys as you were asking on my test. How odd. It was just two sweeps of the cursor and two key presses and it was done...

Thanks -- I'll try it again, because I thought the bridge tool would be perfect -- part of what got me started (and led to this question) is the little bridge tool tutorial (for creating a "ring") on Newtek's website...

I'll go back and see what it does again, but that's what surprised me the most: bridge didn't work, and this seemed like the perfect place for it to -- but maybe I was holding my mouth wrong.

Thanks again,

jdb

MonroePoteet
08-29-2005, 10:39 AM
Dodgy mentioned the trick that made Bridge work for me: offset one of the two circular polygons a tiny bit along the axis, then use Bridge, then move the offset points back into the plane using Set Value.

mTp

Surrealist.
08-29-2005, 01:35 PM
Thanks -- I'll try it again, because I thought the bridge tool would be perfect -- part of what got me started (and led to this question) is the little bridge tool tutorial (for creating a "ring") on Newtek's website...

I'll go back and see what it does again, but that's what surprised me the most: bridge didn't work, and this seemed like the perfect place for it to -- but maybe I was holding my mouth wrong.

Thanks again,

jdb

Sorry, I completely misunderstood even your original post. I thought you were just putting that up as an example of how you would create groups of polys in any situation. Then everyone jumped in to tell you how to creat that shape and I thought, well that's the wedge and expected you to come back and say that this was just an example.

I was actually hoping I'd get some tips on how to do the same actually, which I got - thanks again dodgy.

So now forgive me I think I am on track, I understand that you tried to use the bridge tool for this and it did not work.

I do know that the bridge tool would be perfect for this. I use it all the time and about 50 percent of the time it does not work so I reselct the polygons in a diferent order. By some kind of black magic it seems to eventually work.

However in this example - as I understand it- the bndge tool is just three steps:

1) Create a disc. Select the end Polygons.

2) bevel

3) click bridge tool.

There are only two polys selected for 3. The offset idea sounds good.

I's a great tool for many situations and especially for more complex shapes than say, ...a wedge :rolleyes:

Sorry again for having completely missed the boat on this one.