PDA

View Full Version : Matching 24p footage

pilkiwilky
08-24-2005, 02:20 PM
I am trying to match live footage shot in 24p mode with CG elements - the footage I have was captured off a DVD though, which means it is in 29.97 fps (I believe) how do I set up LW to 24 p and match the footage - or should I just animate in 29.97 fps?

Surrealist.
08-24-2005, 02:54 PM
I am trying to match live footage shot in 24p mode with CG elements - the footage I have was captured off a DVD though, which means it is in 29.97 fps (I believe) how do I set up LW to 24 p and match the footage - or should I just animate in 29.97 fps?

If you are in windows you can right click on the video file to pull up the propoerties panel and click on the Summary tab to see the frame rate of the video.

If you want to convert it back down to 24p - should you need to - you can use a video editing app for that, if you have one that supports it. If not you can load the animation as a background image sequence in LW and render the seqeunce out as a 24p animation which will will pull it back down to 24p. Use quicktime and it should work as long as you have it set to 24 frames before you do anything.

To change the frame rate of the scene it is int the general options tab. With field rendering unchecked(default) this will create a progressive scan animation in 24 frames (24p)

You could also render out frames but you know what, I am not sure that would actually be converting to 24. Animation would be a sure thing.

Then load that animation up as a BG sequence to do your scene.

Audio will be the only problem with this method. To get the audio 24p you will have to use the video editor method.

Mebek
08-24-2005, 03:50 PM
After Effects has a pulldown removing function. If you have access to it, I'd suggest using it to regenerate the 24p, and it will keep the audio preserved (since audio generally doesn't care what frame rate is playing - 30 seconds of audio is 30 seconds of audio). Load the footage into AE, right click on it before adding it to any composition and select "Interpret Footage." There should be an area in the dialog box that is for removing 3:2 pulldown. I'd suggest letting it guess what format to remove (unless you know whether it was WSSWW, WWSSW, WWWSS, SWWWS, or SSWWW). THEN create a composition with the footage, easiest to drag the footage down to the composition button, render and viola!

Having 30fps animation playing on top of 24p video with 3:2 pulldown is very noticeable and looks amateur. I've seen way too many really bad movies make this mistake.

pilkiwilky
08-24-2005, 05:03 PM
OK, I took my footage and opened it in Quicktime Pro then exported it out at a frame rate of 24 fps (23.98 to be exact) then I brought that in to lightwave as a background plate but there was no sound, so I went back to the file and exported it as a wave file and brought that into lightwave as a sound file I added to the scene, now the audio does not synch up - I have not touched where the background image movie starts and stops! Please help

Surrealist.
08-25-2005, 12:01 AM
OK, I took my footage and opened it in Quicktime Pro then exported it out at a frame rate of 24 fps (23.98 to be exact) then I brought that in to lightwave as a background plate but there was no sound, so I went back to the file and exported it as a wave file and brought that into lightwave as a sound file I added to the scene, now the audio does not synch up - I have not touched where the background image movie starts and stops! Please help

Audio syc can be a very touchy thing. One thing to check is to make sure "play at exact rate" is checked in the options panel. Also make sure that your scene is 24 frames. beyond that I can't think of anything.

How far off is it and are you talking about scrubbing through your scene or playing it back?

pilkiwilky
08-25-2005, 07:05 AM
play at exact rate is checked - it's still pretty darn far off

Surrealist.
08-25-2005, 12:23 PM
play at exact rate is checked - it's still pretty darn far off

Do you have any kind of timeline video editor to load both up and check the sync there? Both windows (xp) and apple have video editing apps included. If you can load it up there (each separate file thyt is) and line them up and see if they are in sync, if not the processing is your problem. If they are in sync it's just lightwave or your comoputer is not fast enough to do both - in LW.

pilkiwilky
08-25-2005, 12:34 PM
yes, I opened up Final Cut Pro and they are in synch.

I have a Dual G5 2.0 gig machine with 2 Gigs of ram! You cannot buy a faster Mac.

This is really frustrating! Thanks for your suggestions

Surrealist.
08-25-2005, 12:47 PM
yes, I opened up Final Cut Pro and they are in synch.

I have a Dual G5 2.0 gig machine with 2 Gigs of ram! You cannot buy a faster Mac.

This is really frustrating! Thanks for your suggestions

Killer. Listen, it must be LW then. My guess is that LW does not optimize this playback the way a video editor does - you follw me? I mean Video/Audio sync in the past has been a real problem for NLE and only in recent years has it been smoothed out. So, I don't think LW is optimized for it. That's my thinking. So coming back to your computer, it may be the fastest thing on the market but not for doing audio/video in LW. That was my point more or less. It may be that even with a faster computer it may not work.

However the workaround would be simply to sync to the video and audio as separate tasks.

So what you would do is line things up to the video with the audio off and check that. Then check how the scene plays to the audio with the video off and so on. You get the idea, whatever sequence you choose. Just don't expect LW to do it all at once is all.