PDA

View Full Version : Creating Terrain Using the Airbrush

WilliamVaughan
08-24-2005, 10:53 AM
Creating Terrain Using the Airbrush
Modeler

Learn how to use a simple morph along with the airbrush to model terrain from a segmented plane.

Running Time: 2 min
Size: 9.5 MB

Click Here to Download (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/Terrain_Morph.mov)

Surrealist.
08-24-2005, 12:33 PM
That's amazing man! I was watching this Zbrush video and thinking, damed if there isn't something very similar in LW. I remembered the airbrush tool having this sizeable brush and vaguely something about painting on morphs but for some reason fell short of getting a grip on it.

How simple. This is actually huge. Proton if you have seen any of the stuff I've been working on you'd understand the significance of this for me.

Also there has been some talk around about other modeling tools. Seems like you keep your finger on the pulse and always come through with a way to do it in LW or at least something similar!

Awesome! I can see the potenital for this in character modeling as well, not just endomorphs for anumation but as a modeing tool.

Sweet!

Intuition
08-24-2005, 12:53 PM
Ok, see this is like Z-Brush. Only difference is that it only brushes on one plane, the Y axis here, at a time.

I couls easily see Z-Brush style sculpting in Modeler if its capable of this already. Add some symmetry code and go to town.

PLEEEZE Newtek! Show us your ultimate L337 Ownage.

Surrealist.
08-24-2005, 01:24 PM
Ok, see this is like Z-Brush. Only difference is that it only brushes on one plane, the Y axis here, at a time.

I couls easily see Z-Brush style sculpting in Modeler if its capable of this already. Add some symmetry code and go to town.

Well that depends on your morph. He only morphed on the Y as an example. You're tight it's not exactly like Z brush. Z brush is by far more advanced.

There are other poossibilities though.

A sphere for example if sized up and down would give two morphs possible, both in the direction of the polygon normals which would give you movement on the normal. (XYZ) True only one path. However, a good deal of movements for character modeling are in this normal direction.

If you want acces to more paths at once use the move tool with radial fall off. You might have seen my thread on this in tips and tricks. It does the same thing as this video only you can have movement and position in any direction and have multiple fall of settings. Not only that but you can right click and size your brush on the fly - something this video just reminded me of.

One other difference with Z brush is the mesh.

But that not withstanding, this is yet another great tool to add to the mix.

Imagine what you could do with varios morphs such as rotate, not to mention morphs created from normal displacement maps in layout and saved transformed then added as a morph. Or even createed with textured point. The possibilities for this are actually endless. The only limitation is your imagination. :)

Tima
08-24-2005, 01:28 PM
i use this technics since lightwave 6.5 version...
it's not a new features :rolleyes:
its possible to remake video from siggraph 05 with a good quality ?

Surrealist.
08-24-2005, 02:32 PM
i use this technics since lightwave 6.5 version...
it's not a new features :rolleyes:
its possible to remake video from siggraph 05 with a good quality ?

Go ahead rub it in. :)

Not the new tool or technique that is the point though. It's new to me and others as is most of lightwave for some.

Mebek
08-24-2005, 03:15 PM

If we're using 1337, we may as well spell "pwnage" correctly. :D

This totally makes sense too. Wonder why I never tried this in the past. I'd like to see some support for a tablet's pressure sensitivity too, in the future (don't know if that's in ZBrush, never used it).

Wheeee! :jester:

Tima
08-24-2005, 04:55 PM
humm i have wrting a tutorial to explain this technic

http://www.game-lab.com/?p=viewtut&id=134&l=3

sorry this is a french tutorial :)

you can create one other morph to dig the model.
Just switch morph map in numeric panel of airbrush =)

Tiger
08-24-2005, 05:14 PM
Thanks Proton! :lightwave

Dodgy
08-24-2005, 05:25 PM
For moving the points along their normal, you use Smooth Scale on the morph target. In theory you could even paint a normal map in this way.

1)UV texture your mesh.
2)Copy and paste it in a new layer, subdivide it a lot, create a morph and smoothScale 3)the whole object out a bit.
4)Create another morph, and use the airbrush to paint the displaced morph onto this new morph in the place you want to apply bumps.
5)This leaves you with a morph map of displacements.

I'm not sure exactly how normal mapping works (maybe you could just use the morph's displacement values to make this?xyz corresponding to rgb?), so you might be able to get directly from here to a normal map, but you could also do this:

6)Now what you need is a plugin which converts the vector magnitude of the displacement into a weight map. I could quite easily write an lscript to do this.
7)Apply the weightmap as a gradient input to a luminosity channel say, and bake this out to a texture using your UV map.
This becomes a bump map which you can use on your low poly object.

Now because you can use any number of morph maps, you could have them with movement just in the x for example, and paint with this map. In this way you can get any kind of painted displacement in LW. You could even copy the bump morph and use Smoothing on it to make it all over less harsh, and then paint with that to smooth out rough areas. It's very very powerful.

DC777
08-24-2005, 08:23 PM
In the video, the gentleman is using the airbrush and rotating the model almost simultaneously, is this a simple key depression to do this?, but I feel as though I have to drop the tool and then use the rotation buttons up top to see another part of the model as opposed to just create, spin, move, create. Can anyone shed light how that is done?

Thanks

DC

UnCommonGrafx
08-24-2005, 09:01 PM
Press "alt" in that perspective view and spin to your hearts desire.

This is old but another reason why I stand by my passion: most everything in the other apps we've had for quite some time. Unfortunately, people attempt to belittle these things as workarounds or other deragatory type terms. As well, the manuals don't state what you can do. Larry and Proton have shown this as part of NAB or SIG demos, that I've seen. Not on the streams, though. ;)

All of this can be parlayed into some really nice application for [9]. IF not already incorporated and being given to us in 8.5. (Dreaming.)

:lightwave

WilliamVaughan
08-24-2005, 09:20 PM
You'd be suprised at how some of the oldest techniques are some of the most powerful...yes this has been in LW for quite some time....but many people are not aware of it.

I showed a group of LW artists the old 2 point poly lightning setup from back in the day and they did some amazing stuff with it.

This is why I tell users that everyone should write tutorials....everyone knows something that someone else doesnt already know :)

Old feature....new feature....I say use what gets the task done :thumbsup:

The videos and tutorials I write are for users of all levels of experience...be sure to check out my next article in HDRI3D....it talsk a bit about this :)

WilliamVaughan
08-24-2005, 09:21 PM
BTW...this is also in the Help file :) I use a sphere for that example to show it works in all axis :)

colkai
08-25-2005, 02:26 AM
This is, as UnCommon says, why folks DO tend to love LW with a passion.
A lot of time, things can be done with LW jsut by "thinking outside the box". I can't recall the number of "EH?" moments I've had when folks come up with this sort of gem, expecially when you find out it's always been there, which means "EH?" is normally followed by "DOH!". This when you realise how much time you could have shaved off your last piece of work had you known about it. :p ;)
It's like Dave Jerrards quote about the marble being good for just about everything but marble, be it space explosions, sword blades, or sea surfacing.
Gotta love LW. :D

DC777
08-25-2005, 10:24 AM
You guys are a great help! Every little bit helps, effeciency, production, quality all are affected by one simple technique! Thanks again.

DC777

art
08-26-2005, 11:12 AM
This is my result of the same technique applied to a sphere.
Cool possibilities. Thanks for the tip Proton