PDA

View Full Version : Update 7.5c to 7.5d LOST EVERYTHING!

kabod
08-24-2005, 10:03 AM
O.K. I'll start off by admitting I must have taken a "stupid" pill this morning instead of my vitamins. I had a major system harddrive crash last week and had to re-install VT3 on my system. I don't work much in Lightwave right now (did a major new show open last year for our TV program) but noticed that the LW version was 7.5c. Downloaded 7.5d and ran the install. Forgot to point it to the VT3 dir so it installed 7.5d "Discovery Edition" into a LW folder on C:
Removed it...pointed it to the LW dir in VT3...now had 2 .exe files....lw.exe and lightwve.exe (or something like that). The lw.exe was still 7.5c and the other would't run at all....soooo ( I know right now some of you are shaking your heads and saying unkind things about where this is heading).
Yep, I went to "Add/Remove Programs" and removed 7.5d.....Presto, Change-o NO MORE LIGHTWAVE...at all!
I'm getting ready to run repair install from my VT3 Disk but before I end up with any more egg on my face, I will humbly beseech the accrued wisdom of the ages on this forum on how to proceed...

Mebek
08-24-2005, 10:40 AM
Well, if it's any consolation, you're not the only one who's done that. May I join you in a "D'oh!" ? :foreheads

Aegis
08-24-2005, 11:40 AM
The 7.5d LightWave update won't work with your VT copy of LightWave anyway :(

If you're using Windows XP, you might want to see if you can do a "System Restore" prior to installing 7.5d

kabod
08-24-2005, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I could have used XP's "System Restore" but while I was waiting on reply's, I upgraded a lot of other things on my system including resetting up my network here at work...bummer! I DID have a standalone version of 7.5 but cannot find the disk....
It's not my day!

Matt
08-24-2005, 12:35 PM
Personally, I'm not a fan of the way installs / updates are done with LightWave, could be done a lot safer IMO.

evenflcw
08-24-2005, 05:49 PM
They could definatly be made safer! Frankly, the person or company that constructed the installer/uninstaller is an IDIOT (first time I called anyone that online btw). Anyone with the least bit of common sense would have written a better safer installer. I also think NT is/were irresponsible and nonchalant towards their customers (some of which lost work because of the way the uninstaller works) to ever let such a thing plague LW.