PDA

View Full Version : Rack Mount for TriCaster?

StephenW
08-24-2005, 08:39 AM
If anyone has fabricated a rack mount for the TriCaster I would like to buy one. I suppose I could zip tie it to a tray, but it would be nice if it could be nice.

Chris L
08-24-2005, 07:54 PM
Check out the attachment...

I've been trying to find the right portable rack unit combination for my Tricaster as well. Take a look at the mini gig rig. I think it has potential. the top shelf has velcro on it which could store a flat panel monitor. The bottom section could probably hold the Tricaster with a large piece of velcro on the side of the unit. A traditional rack might be difficult to find due to the small size of the unit. If you find something, please let me know.

Chris

John Perkins
08-25-2005, 09:12 AM
That's interesting. TriCaster gets really hot if you smother it on the rear or left (video card) side.

How do those areas look?

Cool find Chris.

John Perkins
08-25-2005, 09:14 AM
Wow, I just found it on the web. It's MUCH bigger than I thought. Somehow I expected it to be more TC sized.

Should stay cool in there once open though.

Jim_C
08-25-2005, 10:21 AM
Wow, I just found it on the web. It's MUCH bigger than I thought. Somehow I expected it to be more TC sized.

Should stay cool in there once open though.

Yea, I have a Gig Rig like that one pictured, and it does have some bulk to it. It will hold a 16 channel Mackie in the top. And 6 rack spaces below. 7 if you do a little mod.

Down to earth description, it takes up an entire passenger seat of a car.

StephenW
08-25-2005, 08:22 PM
Hi Chris-

What a great find!

I spent the day cramming my equipment in to an 8RU box. It includes everything but audio and a computer monitor. No pop top for me!!! At a later date I will find an appropriate monitor & audio case.

In the meantime, here is what I did (photos to follow after the weekend):

1. 1RU Cablecast Modulator, for cablecasting.
2. 1RU Breakout box. This box carries 3 video channels, 2 audio channels, duplex voice communications and camera power.
3. 3 screen Marshall video monitors.
4. TriCaster box.
5. 5 channel input switcher (rigged to camera 3).
6. 5 channel distribution amp.
7. Power strip and a whole lot of video/audio cables.

What is missing:
1. All audio, mixer, mics, wire.
2. Computer monitor for the Tricaster. (We have it, just not in its own case yet.)
3. A real monitor for color correction and so forth.
4. Recording deck (We have several decks, not mounted)

Benefits:
This is for a Public Access TV station.
1. You don't have to know very much to operate this system. We trained 8 people who never had switched before on the job in 3 hour time slots. They all loved it and 7 out of 8 got it within 20 minutes to the point where we could leave them alone and they did a respectable job.
2. Wear and tear is less of an issue because wires are already where they should be and the case protects the system.
3. It is one of the smallest do it yourself TV (3 cameras) in a box ever made. Its cool.

Detriments:
1. It may be small relative to the old days, but not small enough yet. It takes two people or one relatively strong person to move the 8RU unit around.
2. There are many parts, and if something goes wrong...
3. Not all parts are together in one unit yet.

Overall I give the TriCaster an "A" rating. It is amazing what can be done with this machine.

PIZAZZ
08-26-2005, 09:53 AM
Hi Chris-

What a great find!

I spent the day cramming my equipment in to an 8RU box. It includes everything but audio and a computer monitor. No pop top for me!!! At a later date I will find an appropriate monitor & audio case.

In the meantime, here is what I did (photos to follow after the weekend):

1. 1RU Cablecast Modulator, for cablecasting.
2. 1RU Breakout box. This box carries 3 video channels, 2 audio channels, duplex voice communications and camera power.
3. 3 screen Marshall video monitors.
4. TriCaster box.
5. 5 channel input switcher (rigged to camera 3).
6. 5 channel distribution amp.
7. Power strip and a whole lot of video/audio cables.

What is missing:
1. All audio, mixer, mics, wire.
2. Computer monitor for the Tricaster. (We have it, just not in its own case yet.)
3. A real monitor for color correction and so forth.
4. Recording deck (We have several decks, not mounted)

Benefits:
This is for a Public Access TV station.
1. You don't have to know very much to operate this system. We trained 8 people who never had switched before on the job in 3 hour time slots. They all loved it and 7 out of 8 got it within 20 minutes to the point where we could leave them alone and they did a respectable job.
2. Wear and tear is less of an issue because wires are already where they should be and the case protects the system.
3. It is one of the smallest do it yourself TV (3 cameras) in a box ever made. Its cool.

Detriments:
1. It may be small relative to the old days, but not small enough yet. It takes two people or one relatively strong person to move the 8RU unit around.
2. There are many parts, and if something goes wrong...
3. Not all parts are together in one unit yet.

Overall I give the TriCaster an "A" rating. It is amazing what can be done with this machine.

Sounds like a nice design. Please post some pictures when you get a chance.

I will get some pics done of our designs also.

Chris L
08-26-2005, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the replys. I hope to see some pics soon. I'm still looking and thinking... I can't get it out of my head.

Chris

StephenW
08-26-2005, 11:11 AM
Hi-

Here is a video about our Mobile Production Studio featuring the TriCaster. Windows Media & broadband required to stream.

mvtv.org/production1.wmv

Let me know what you think...

Chris L
08-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Very nice....Your demonstration is very good for Newtek. I think the gig rig would allow us to store the flat panel in the case. How did you secure the Tricaster?

Chris

StephenW
08-26-2005, 12:13 PM
Very nice....Your demonstration is very good for Newtek. I think the gig rig would allow us to store the flat panel in the case. How did you secure the Tricaster?

Chris

I drilled some holes in the plastic casing an zip tied it. I left just enough space on the side for the keyboard to fit snugly and I zip tied a lens pouch on the side to secure the mouse. When it is all packed up yopu can turn it upside down shake it sideways, whatever. Nothing moves.

The gig rig did not work for me because it was 2RU short for my needs. Gig rig does have a larger one (10RU) but I wanted to keep it so one person could lift it. I will secure the monitor in its own box and get a VGA extentender to protect the VGA on the back of the TriCaster from abuse.

Lee Hopper
08-29-2005, 01:23 PM
There is a dealer in Arizona, check out his website
www.videonowaz.com

he has a rack mount unit on his site

Lee Hopper
future Tricaster owner

StephenW
08-29-2005, 01:48 PM
Here are links to pictures of our TriCaster Mobile Kit.

http://mvtv.org/pics/image0.jpg
http://mvtv.org/pics/image1.jpg
http://mvtv.org/pics/image2.jpg

PIZAZZ
08-29-2005, 09:23 PM
Just wait till you see what we have been working on.

We have two different transportation options for TriCasters.

You will like them both. I will post pictures by the end of this week.

:)

pwhill
08-31-2005, 07:24 PM
Stephen,

Cool system -- I use the following two companies for my cases and displays.

http://www.generaldigital.com/products/rackmount_flip-up_lcd_keyboard/slimline_1u.htm

I have several of their older 15" XGA units and they are great. You can get the newer units with Composite video inputs and 2U units with S-video input.

For Cases I don't think you can find one better than the Hardigg brand -- they can take about anything that you can throw at them and they have shock mounted internal rails to protect your hardware.

http://www.hardiggvbc.com/broadcast_video_cases.htm

There are links to find a dealers on their sites. :)

StephenW
08-31-2005, 08:01 PM
Thanks pwhill-

My system isn't even 2 days old and I am already making two major changes. The first is that I am replacing my modulator in the rack with a 1 RU audio mixer (6 XLR input). Always need a mixer, sometimes need a modulator, guess which has priority.

Second, I am going with a 15" LCD Touch Screen. Tap the camera you want... Very cool. The 15" LCD Touch Screen will be separately cased. The idea here is that nothing is too big for one person to handle.

I like your cases. We are a public access station so the monitor/keybord in a drawer are a bit pricey for me. Most of what you see in my pictures, I already had in the station.

Chris L
09-03-2005, 11:58 AM
Just wait till you see what we have been working on.

Any pics yet?

JumboCast
09-03-2005, 03:19 PM
a 1 RU audio mixer (6 XLR input).Is this the Rane? Their 1U mixers came out just after I bought a Rolls, which disappointed me greatly (although, in fairness, the Rolls has actually worked pretty well).

Good luck with the mods -- we're waiting for the "Son of TriCaster Rack Mount" video...

Steve Clay
JumboCast

StephenW
09-03-2005, 04:14 PM
I went with the Rolls. The only 1 RU Rane I saw was either a 6 channel with 1/4 inputs or a 4 channel with XLR inputs. The Rolls (as you know) is a 6 channel XLR for mic level or 1/4 for the line levels.

Seemed like a no brainer to me, but I have not plugged it in yet.

PIZAZZ
09-03-2005, 07:21 PM
Any pics yet?

Surely Chris you being in Lake Chuck and all have heard of that hurricane thing... This week has been pretty crazy for us trying to get some help to the victims here in Beaumont.

I will get some pics uploaded soon I promise but other things have taken priority.

PIZAZZ
09-03-2005, 07:30 PM
ooops double post.

pwhill
09-03-2005, 10:26 PM
Jef,
It is great to hear that ya'll are helping out. I spent part of the day at Camp Gruber, in Braggs, Oklahoma where we were getting ready for about 2500 victims to show. They arrived this evening at about 22:00 CST. It amazing how people have come together to help. It is hard for people to get a grasp on the scale of the problem.

batdemon
09-05-2005, 07:00 PM
I brought a combo flight case from Markertek and added the shelves and draws that I need.

This unit will go on tour handling the video for a live tour, thats why I added the mixer and the external hard drives.

Here are the photos:

Also you can see a description of the unit opened and closedMobile Tricaster (http://www.roaddoggz.com/example_gallery/tricaster_layout.html)

PIZAZZ
09-06-2005, 11:30 PM
First off I want to say that it sure looks like you put lots of thought and time into your setup.

That said... I would like to offer a couple suggestions from someone who has been moving computer based audio, lighting, and video systems for over 12 years all around the country... 2 words "Shock Mounting"

The road is not going to be easy on any design like yours if you do not shock mount the TriCaster somewhat. It can be as simple as placing a 1 inch foam pad below the Tricaster or completely surrounding the TriCaster like we have in our case design. The hard drive in the TriCaster is NOT shockmounted in any way and vibration will be something to kill a drive during transit. I have had it happen to us many times in the past. If you are using a large truck or shipping the case from show to show then shock mounting is especially important. If you are throwing your TriCaster rig in the back of your car or possibly cargo van, then you should be okay.

Just be prepared for what "could happen" and figure out a way to isolate that expensive little black box.

My 2 cents. :)

Chris L
09-07-2005, 07:59 AM
Jef,

I'm really waiting to see what you have come up with....but, I'm glad to know that you have been helping out our neighbors displaced from there homes.

Chris

jdnell
10-22-2005, 10:13 PM

Did these options for transportation of the Tricaster ever materialize???

Just wondering....need a solution.

PIZAZZ
10-23-2005, 03:38 PM
Did these options for transportation of the Tricaster ever materialize???

Just wondering....need a solution.

After Katrina, some other gal named Rita, distracted me. Sorry for not getting back to you guys yet.

We have several solutions we have provided for our clients.

We have one system configured for a client to be able to carry his complete TriCaster rig on the airplane with him as a carry on.
Included in a very durable and well padded Pelican Case is:
1 TriCaster
1 VM Switcher
1 mini Keyboard
1 mouse
1 10 inch Touchscreen monitor
1 Power cable
3 50' SVideo Cables

The biggest problem he has is with TSA wanting to verify exactly what is in the box. He keeps the manual/documentation in there to aid that matter.

Attached is a picture of the 10inch Touchscreen:
We have sold quite a few of them to the DJ/VJ and Club markets.

Also here is a picture of the Pelican 1510 case we pack it all in:

http://www.pelican.com/imatges/3cases_1510.jpg

PIZAZZ
10-23-2005, 03:45 PM
Another concept we have used in the past for TriCaster and other Shuttle based systems is pictured below. We custom built the case to have a slide out drawer for the keyboard and mouse. Throw in a flip down LCD panel and you are pretty good to go. The only picture I had was one with a DJ based Shuttle style computer. You can picture taking out the DJ mixer and throwing in a small Mackie or Behringer audio mixer to mix the audio before the TriCaster. Also you could take out the CD player on the right side and place a DV deck or DVCam deck for tape backup.

PIZAZZ
10-23-2005, 03:54 PM
On the TriCaster we have to careful not to choke off the air flow coming in from the bottom of the sides of the case. This air flow is critical.

If you would like a custom rackmount facade to rackmount the TriCaster then let me know. The prototype I have come up with would have the Tricaster mounted in the middle with foam under the TriCaster to cushion it during transportation. The whole rack piece would be 4 RU tall if you do not want cushioning under TriCaster and 5U if you want cushioning. I suggest the cushioning if at all possible.

I could always cut the panel so that the TriCaster is on one side or the other and place a DV Deck beside it or better yet a Firestone FS1 and Firewire drive.

What do you think?

PIZAZZ
10-23-2005, 03:58 PM
We custom build many cases out of the same Aluminum case material you see below. Pretty much any size can be done. It depends on your needs and mostly what all you want to carry along with your TriCaster.

Cases can be long or short
Skinny or Wide
Tall or low profile

http://www.pizazzme.com/images/pcmix1pics/PIZAZZ-RackCasePic-LidOn.jpg

http://www.pizazzme.com/images/pcmix1pics/PIZAZZ-RackCasePic-DiamondP.jpg

http://www.pizazzme.com/images/pcmix1pics/PIZAZZ-RackCasePic-BlackLam.jpg

PIZAZZ
10-26-2005, 08:34 AM
Any questions ?? I will be glad to field them.

Creating small compact systems has been an obsession of mine.

wadeace
06-13-2007, 10:26 PM
the break out box/camera you are using for your mobile system
who makes it?
was it custom made, or off the shelve
who's cameras and communication system dose it work wit,
and is it possible to get one

DMcClaflin
06-18-2007, 12:58 PM
McClaflin Mobile Media's Portable Rackmount Systems are the perfect complement to NewTek's revolutionary TriCaster™ or TriCaster Pro Live Production System.

McClaflin Mobile Media's M3-TCCR offers a creative solution for rackmounting NewTek's TriCaster or TriCaster Pro.

http://www.mcclaflinmobilemedia.com

DMcClaflin

Videolink
07-04-2007, 12:56 PM
We have been producing a custom flight case ever since Tricasters release
so far over 30 have been sold with out any problems or concerns
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250097913575&rd=1&rd=1