PDA

View Full Version : better rendering with hdri reflection maps

marko
05-01-2003, 12:50 AM
http://vision.ucsd.edu/~sagarwal/structured/

cavalos
05-01-2003, 09:54 AM
Thsi guy Henrik Wan Jansen is a feaking genious! Really cool Marko, I hope NT is seeing it.

Best
Christian

Lightwolf
05-01-2003, 10:21 AM
Wow, very neat and clever. Especially if one could save the result of the pre-filtering (whch seems to be quite slow) to disc.

Valter
05-01-2003, 12:38 PM
holy sh|t!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Our method handles occlusion, high-frequency lighting, and is significantly faster than alternative methods based on Monte Carlo sampling."

"We have rendered several scenes illuminated by natural lighting, and our results indicate that Structured importance sampling is better than the best previous Monte Carlo techniques, requiring one to two orders of magnitude fewer samples for the same image quality"

Newteeeek!!!! look this man heuhueueh:D

Matt
05-01-2003, 12:58 PM
Henrik is indeed talented, have you seen his other papers? Amazing!

He's written his own rendering software called Dali, he should release it!!!

Actually anyone know if you can download it anywhere? I've looked but can't see any links.

I want to check the interface out.

Panikos
05-01-2003, 10:13 PM
I think Dali runs on Linux only, maybe I am mistaken

Matt
05-02-2003, 02:28 AM
you could be right! :(

he's sitting on a goldmine there!

harhar
05-02-2003, 03:12 PM
I'm sure Dali can be easily compiled on any OS. Henrik once said in an interview that he may release Dali's source, but that has not happen. Henrik once claimed that " Dali can render photon mapping 35 times faster than mental ray with less artifact."

cavalos
05-02-2003, 03:31 PM
OMG are you serious! 35 times faster!!!
I mean that is the most amazing statement I´ve ever hear.

The only problem here is greed (as always)...in one interview this guy told he was tempted by one company (he doesn´t say names or something like that) but they want all the code, rights and the credit for the entire renderer. Can you believe it?

Best
Christian