PDA

View Full Version : Wikipedia manual for lightwave?

Jockomo
08-23-2005, 10:32 PM
What do you guys think of the idea of starting a manual similar to the wikipedia site?

I think it could be done with the forums, by having a special forum for the manual, and the subjects to break up the chapters, and then a thread for each button or feature. Of course it would be a pita to transfer all of the info over, but once it got started the community might help fill it out. The nice thing is anyone could add little tips and tricks to the appropriate threads.

Silkrooster
08-23-2005, 11:16 PM
I have one started, but haven't had much luck at getting members. I am leaving it up anyways, who knows maybe one day it will catch on.
Silk

Dodgy
08-24-2005, 04:39 AM
I hope you don't mind, I've started adding Lscript stuff to it, hopefully I'll get all the commands up there including stuff in the Release notes so it is a current list.

benhaines
08-24-2005, 06:33 AM
I like the idea and I'm a big fan of the wiki concept in general. I guess the only real difficulty is finding people willing to contribute.

Scott_Blinn
08-24-2005, 12:02 PM
:agree: I'll second that - wiki rocks. I was actually thinking about this very thing the other night!

I also think it would be a great place to have a "Feature Request" section that we can track and collaborate on things we would like to see in LW in the future.

It would be even better if it was NewTek themselves that setup and hosted this wiki (and read it from time to time). It would be a very helpful and valuable asset for them I think.

NewTek?

Scott_Blinn
08-24-2005, 12:06 PM
Here are a few example wikis besides wikipedia.

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/

http://udn.epicgames.com/Main/WebHome

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SDK_Docs (this one has a great layout IMO)

mkiii
08-24-2005, 12:23 PM
The trouble with a wiki is that you can't stop people posting things that are just plain wrong. Unless of course you have someone who already knows everything about the subject that is willing to edit it constantly.

Jockomo
08-24-2005, 03:09 PM
Yea actually I was thinking it would be something that NewTek set up here.
(although that's a nice start you have there silkrooster)

It would certianly take some moderation, but I am sure there are some board warriors here who would volunteer to mod for a free upgrade.

The thing about wiki is that if someone posts something that is incorrect, there is never a lack of people willing to jump in and state that they are wrong. :D

Silkrooster
08-24-2005, 06:04 PM
I certainly appreciate any and all help. I believe this is a community effort, that one day could blossom. I made it necessary to register to keep spamming to a minimum. There is a record of all entries so I know who is purposely entering wrong data.
Silk

benhaines
08-25-2005, 01:24 AM
Just to clarify is this a Lightwave specific wiki or for general 3d?

Silkrooster
08-25-2005, 01:54 AM
I am allowing it to be 3d in general, but at the moment it is pretty much lightwave only. So far most members are from the lightwave community. So time and its members will tell.
Silk

LW_Will
08-25-2005, 08:53 AM
MKII,

Wikipedia uses its community to make sure that the 'pedia is accurate, make sure it is based on facts and not opinions, and to keep it clear of spam.

Maybe, in putting things in the LW 'pedia, there should be someone to test the facts of technique. Now, if there is stuff speculating to the function of the program, maybe we could get a software tech from the development team to look it over?

Beyond that, I don't see where people could post "damaging" information in this list.

LW_Will