PDA

View Full Version : New guy with a ?:)

frostbitten86
08-23-2005, 10:04 PM
Hello All, Im about to purchase Lightwave but i do have 1 question. I noticed that nearly all the modeling tuts i've read involve some kind of Subdivision Modeling(hitting Tab right when you start), im not crazy about this so im wondering if lightwave pretty versatile in terms of different modeling styles? Im used to starting with a cube/cylinder and slowly creating the model(whatever it may be) and adding a subdivision last to do some smoothing. Hopefully my question made sense, thanks for reading this! :lwicon:

Dodgy
08-23-2005, 10:51 PM
You can tab to and from subdivision mode at any point and your object doesn't become more complex, it just appears smoother. If you want to you can 'freeze' this smoothing, at which point you have more geometry, (and then you COULD tab again) but if you don't do that you can tab back and forth at whatever time during modelling and your poly count will remain the same.

Scott_Blinn
08-24-2005, 11:58 AM
Also, with LW 9 having N-Gon support for sub-d, you will also have more freedom in what primitives you start with/use.

frostbitten86
08-24-2005, 01:07 PM
I guess what i meant was is Lightwave's modeler flexible, so I can go about my own style of modeling?i am most comfortable modeling WITHOUT subdivision, maybe just using an iteration of it at the very end for smoothness, instead of making a cube/other primitive and hitting subdivide right away(clay type modeling), as MOST of the Tutorials/WIPS ive seen seem to do. Thanks a lot, As it probably shows i AM a bit new in 3d..i'm a 19 year old student, afterall:) Thanks a lot, and i look forward to being a part of the LW community!

lede
08-24-2005, 01:17 PM
Yes you can model how ever you want and if you feel modeling in the sub-d is not for you then thats how you can model. The nice thing about the tab key is that like an on and off switch for sub-d so during your modeling you can check to see how your model will look smothed. If your not worried about smoothing then don't hit tab and you should be fine. I know a few character modelers who work only in regular poly mode and only check their progress every once in a while.

Its all up to how you want to work in it. NewTek has an evaluation copy on their download page but its desguised as one of the updates. Not sure which update it is so maybe some else might remember.

-Lee

Scott_Blinn
08-24-2005, 01:47 PM
I guess what i meant was is Lightwave's modeler flexible, so I can go about my own style of modeling?i am most comfortable modeling WITHOUT subdivision, maybe just using an iteration of it at the very end for smoothness, instead of making a cube/other primitive and hitting subdivide right away(clay type modeling), as MOST of the Tutorials/WIPS ive seen seem to do. Thanks a lot, As it probably shows i AM a bit new in 3d..i'm a 19 year old student, afterall:) Thanks a lot, and i look forward to being a part of the LW community!

As far as I am concerned LW (Modeler) is the #1 polygon modeler you can get. Version 9 will make things even better it looks like.

I use everything under the sun except Lightwave at work to model things and I miss it every day.

The only things that Lightwave does not have that I really wish it did are: Edge support (coming in v9.0) and a Lofting system like 3DS Max (Rope Editor Plus is a good start, but Max's Lofting system is insanly powerful and useful).

frostbitten86
08-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Sweet, thats exactly what I needed to know! Ill play with the evaluation copy for a bit and maybe order it in the next couple days..thanks a bunch!

MonroePoteet
08-24-2005, 02:28 PM
I've used LW for about 8 years, and only recently started doing sub-d modeling after upgrading from V5.5 to V8.2. Non-sub-d modeling works great and the toolset for straight point/polygon manipulation is incredible. A very large percentage of my models have no patches at all.

Be sure to try patched modeling, though. Definitely easier for any sort of organic, flowing shape, and not very hard to get used to.

mTp