PDA

View Full Version : Remotely start nodes?

Cman
08-23-2005, 01:34 PM
Is there a way to get PC nodes to automagically run the bat file so I don't have to go to each node just to start it?

Thanks.

BeeVee
08-23-2005, 01:54 PM
VNC? Remote Desktop? :)

B

Cman
08-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Ahhh!
I always turn off and/or ignore that feature of XP as an evil thing and now I'm glad it's there!

Thanks!

Knight Chat X
08-24-2005, 02:09 AM
Maybe you could just create a batch file that executes shortcut or command for all nodes from 1 machine.

You could even store all shortcuts to LWSN.exe in 1 shared/mapped drive then when you want to start all try batch render or navigate to that drive and manually run each shortcut pretty simple.

That way you only need the shortcuts on 1 machine not all, such as the one your lightwave installation resides on.

For a technical solution, if you are a software developer could create a small app to streamline the process of creating and handling such shortcuts, for simplicity try giving the shortcuts the same name as the computer to which you wish to run that shortcut on, then save to mapped drive using same process as above.

There's no need at all for desktop sharing for this solution that would take more time and effort.

BeeVee
08-24-2005, 02:37 AM
That is true, but I was also thinking of the troubleshooting angle. If a node isn't rendering properly, you'll want to find out why and unless you are using VNC or something, you'll still need to examine the machine physically.

B

Cman
08-24-2005, 08:58 AM
Maybe you could just create a batch file that executes shortcut or command for all nodes from 1 machine.

Okay,I wrote a simple bat file that included this:

start \\node_1\lightwave\init_1.bat

But lwsn opens on the host machine, not the node machine.
How do I get it to run on the other machines?

Knight Chat X
08-25-2005, 03:08 AM
Ok, looks like the command needs to be executed remotely.

t_man13
09-21-2005, 08:18 AM
There is a free little utility (PsExec (http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PsExec.html)) made by Sysinternals (http://www.sysinternals.com) for doing just such a thing, I only just stumbled acrossed it. In order to get it to launch all your nodes it takes a wee bit of prep time.

1 - The batch file used to launch your nodes must be in the same place on each machine.

2 - The filename for those batch files have to be identical.

3 - Download PsExec (50 kb) (http://www.sysinternals.com/Files/PsExec.zip), and unzip it to the location of your choosing on the machine you don't want to leave.

4 - Create a simple TXT file containing nothing but the names or IP addresses of the node computers, with each name on a seperate line, like so:

renderNode1
renderNode2

Save that file with whatever name you like, but put in in the same directory as the PsExec.exe file you just unzipped. I called mine computerList.txt

5 - Create another TXT file and enter the following lines, replacing the example paths and filenames with the ones that correspond to your situation:

@echo off
cd "c:\path to where\you unzipped\PsExec"
psexec @computerList.txt -i -d "c:\location on remote machine\of Screamer\batchFile.bat"

Save that file anywhere you like (mine's on my desktop), but make sure to change the extension from TXT to BAT. I called mine launchScreamerNodes.bat (*Note* When saving BAT files directly from Notepad, windows sometimes appends the TXT extension so that your file is called something like foo.bat.txt. In that case, simply remove the .TXT at the end, and you should be good to go.)

6 - If everything's been done correctly, you're ready. Just run the lauchScreamerNodes.bat, and watch the magic happen.