PDA

View Full Version : 3ds max user - help for using lightwave scene

bowcat
08-23-2005, 07:58 AM
Hi,

I have a client that works with lightwave. I need to continue working his scene on 3ds max 6. They sent me a 3ds file but the mesh comes all in one piece and with too many polygons. How could I import to Max that scene with a clean mesh and separate parts?
Please tell me it's doable!! :help:

Btw...Kaydara belongs to Alias (those f...) and I can not afoard a software to convert files. I do have Autocad. May be there's a way to import files into autocad and then to Max? I asked the client for a dxf file but when importing it to autocad it was converted as lines instead as 3d. (and it is a 80Mb file!)

Thanks.

LMountain
08-23-2005, 08:24 AM
you could ask him to export every layer as one file or something like that, or every surface part to a file. (3ds should work) i know it would be more work for your client, but so you have a better overview! perhaps this helps

JML
08-23-2005, 08:35 AM
if you are planning to spend money, polytrans should work
http://www.okino.com/

otherwise, do it as LMountain said..

bowcat
08-23-2005, 08:36 AM
mmm... I can't ask the client to do that. There could be thousands of objects in that scene. It's an architectural scene.

bowcat
08-23-2005, 08:39 AM
JML: no, I can't afford other software for just one time use.

(btw, thank you guys)

trick
08-23-2005, 09:22 AM
I can make you a Max7.5 file with Polytrans if you like :) I don't have Max6 installed and polytrans only imports other formats into Max over the plugin route, so I can only save it from Max into it's native format.

Lewis
08-23-2005, 09:23 AM
Hi !

Let him (LW guy) to export you scene objects as OBJ file and not 3DS. Then you will have Quads and not triangles only like with 3DS format. AFAIK MAX can import OBJ also.

bowcat
08-25-2005, 03:24 PM
Hi,

Thanks trick, lewis.

Sorry, I forgot to answer before. My client sent me a .MAX file and it looks fine this time. He used Polytrans. The mesh is not quite good (not clean) but at least I have each part as a separate object.