PDA

View Full Version : Paint cans

Sculley
08-23-2005, 06:23 AM
I kinda was bored over an hour or two.. so knocked this togeather.

artecnl
08-23-2005, 06:45 AM
wow great image, ***** five stars men :D

Captain Obvious
08-23-2005, 08:24 AM
How did you blur the reflections so smoothly? I haven't been able to get that smooth results using bump maps, and reflection blurring is just too darned slow.

Nice image.

meanlebh
08-23-2005, 08:59 AM
Really great image, the paint dripping off of the brush is really well done. keep up the good work.

-Brian

starbase1
08-24-2005, 04:01 AM
Yes, the metal on the side of the paint cans is perfect - what are the settings for this surface?
Nick

ravantra
08-24-2005, 01:07 PM
sweet! I have to start creating quick project for myself.

Sculley
08-25-2005, 05:32 PM
Thanx for the comments.. for something that took a few hours you've all given me a nice happyness.

Right.. the metal surfaces are the chrome surface in LW 8.0 with a few adjustments.. The bump turned down.. specular lowered.. and smoothed off. A colour gradient added to give a yellow tint at certain angles. Im afraid no tricks on the softness.. its LightWaves reflection blurring at around 10-15%. A few more gradients are there in the diffuse and reflection to help define the shapes a little. Thats it.

The lighting is probably more what makes it work than the surface... lots of randomly placed points set to specular only at varying brightness and colours. and then lots of spot lights also slightly random to light the diffuse.

Thanx all again.

david_B
08-25-2005, 05:56 PM
could you possibly post a couple of screengrabs of the layout showing the lights & property settings? Lighting is really a weak point for me (also modelling, texturing, animating and rendering - I miss anything?) so it would be nice to see...

Captain Obvious
08-26-2005, 01:29 AM
Im afraid no tricks on the softness.. its LightWaves reflection blurring at around 10-15%.
Didn't it takes ages to render? I've done a few tests with Lightwave's reflection blurring, and it often took longer to render by a whole darn order of magnitude.

Demon
08-26-2005, 07:22 AM
render time?? Great work tho...i also like the cans surface. how about a tiny DOF? would make it even better imho. but hey, keep up the good work mate.

cheers

Demon

ravantra
08-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Thanks for posting the settings info. With reflective surfaces you need something to reflect and you did a great job.

lardbros
08-27-2005, 08:41 AM
Great image there... so simple but nice composition.

If i'm not mistaken there must be either some photoshop post, or a slight use of Bloom or corona? If not, how did you get the nice flared type areas like the white bit between the cans on the right?

Cool stuff!

Sculley
08-27-2005, 08:50 AM
The floors easy.. I was trying for one of those photoshoot looks.. the floor is white with diffuse off and luminosity turned up. Then gradients are applied to reduce the luminosity as it nears the objects pivot... which works here cos the cans are round at the base :)

lardbros
08-27-2005, 04:02 PM
Sorry, i don't mean the actual floor, i meant the reflection of the floor/sky in the can two from the right. It looks all nice and 'blooming' like where the light has created a flare type thing. Maybe i'm just imagining it, or maybe you have used corona or bloom? I can't tell, but i like it anyhow! :D

Sculley
08-27-2005, 04:06 PM
oOoOo i see what you mean now.. Ive no idea :( might be todo with changing the white point etc.. otherwise im lost.. only post done on this is to set the levels better.

Dont remember having corona etc on.