PDA

View Full Version : Display Problems with Modeler and Lightwave, SGI Version 5.6

jburford
08-23-2005, 04:33 AM
Oddly when I run Modeler or Lightwave on my SGI Octane System, all of the Tabs and displays, are pure white, except for the Preview (OpenGL) Window which displays properly.

If I move the mouse pointer out of the Modeler Window, and over other Apps, the Displays from within Modeler show up properly. . . .

Help, anyone using the SGI Version of Lightwave?

Regards,
Jeff Burford

marvinl
08-23-2005, 09:30 AM
Wow, this is a blast from the past. Sounds like you might be running your Xserver in pseudocolor mode. You can tell by looking at the file /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers. I always preferred running in TrueColor mode (and I believe Lightwave required it), but some older SGI software required pseudocolor mode, so here was the solution I always used:

Copy your current /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers file to /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers.pseudo (assuming it is currently configured for pseudocolor mode)

Create a new file called /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers.true with this single line in it:

:0 secure /usr/bin/X11/X -bs -nobitscale -c -class TrueColor -depth 24 -solidroot cadetblue4 -cursorFG red -cursorBG white

Now when you need to run in a particular mode, copy either the .true or .pseudo file to /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers, then restart your computer.