PDA

View Full Version : OSX LWSN memory problem

hcoat
04-30-2003, 07:26 PM
I have 4 macs, 3 with at least a gig of ram the other only has 640 MB, that I have set up to use LWSN. All of which are working fine. The problem is that I have started to render a more complex scene, and the mac with 640 MB is rendering with 2 segment when I use LWSN. It renders with 1 segment when it rendered as stand alone computer. I used the process viewer to see how much memory LWSN was using. It was only using 5% of the memory, so check all of the computer running LWSN for thier memory usage and they were all at 5%.

So the question is how can increase the amount of memory the LWSN will use.

Oh one other note is that each of these computer has a the segment memory limit in lightwave set to 400 MB.

head worm
05-01-2003, 06:02 AM
Hi,

I don't know how you're setting up your renderfarm, but please feel free to check out our comprehensive tutorial about using LWSN under MacOSX.

The issue of memory segments is not based on the amount of RAM in your machines, it's purely set from the preference file 'LightWave Layout 3 Prefs'.

If you set the segment memory too high and there's not enough RAM, LWSN will error, it doesn't intelligently allocate segments.

In our method, you're only using the preference file from one machine, so this minimizes the problems of different machines rendering using different settings.

Cheers

DavidT
Creative Director
www.the-worms-of-art.com

hcoat
05-02-2003, 11:11 PM
Thanx David.

That is a better way, with less problems.
I turns out that I had not put the a space in the command line (-2-c), which was good so that I could use your method instead and save time in the future.