PDA

View Full Version : Mirroring a fully rigged object?

kjl
08-21-2005, 01:25 AM
So I have a (left) hand that is rigged and working perfectly in a scene file. It was complex enough that I left that rig as a separate scene file and rigged the body in another scene file. The model is mechanical so the two models don't need to blend into each other - the pieces just have to line up.

I have found that it is easy to load the Body.lws and then load the objects from Hand.lws, parent the geometry and bones of the hand object under the left arm bones in the Body, and everything works fine.

What is the easiest way to make the right hand? Do I actually need to make a right hand model, a right hand scene file, and rerig the whole thing? Or is there an easier way?

Thanks!

Axis3d
08-21-2005, 04:15 PM
In Layout, go to Setup tab > Edit > Mirror Hierarchy. There are some options for mirroring.

kjl
08-26-2005, 12:38 AM
Yeah, looks like I'll need to mirror the model, and also mirror the rig (either by mirroring all the skelegons and then reparenting everything correctly in Layout, or leaving the skelegons unmirrored and mirroring the heirarchy in Layout)...

Oh, well. That sort of makes it a pain in the butt to make changes to the hand afterwards, though, I suppose. I'd have to propogate changes to the other hand and then I'd have to deal with bone changes twice as well... Ugh ;)

newsvixen8
08-29-2005, 07:21 PM
One of my older tutorial books talked about a plug-in for mirroring weight maps from one side of your model to the other... Yoichiro's Mirror Weights plug-in, supposedly available at www.flay.com Wonder if it's still there...

Dodgy
08-29-2005, 08:31 PM
Actually I was thinking of writing a mirror setup plug, what kinds of things would you need from it?

kjl
08-30-2005, 02:41 AM
Hey, there Dodgy - I'm still getting all kinds of mileage out of MGUpdateBones... ;) I think what I was hoping could be done can't be done with or without plugins (if I need to make a mirrored rig along with mirrored geometry, I don't think I can get that in Layout in any way).

If anything I need a way to quickly mirror skelegons and geometry in Modeler and then search and replace the string "Right" with "Left" in all the skelegon and weight map sets (so I could work on the right hand to my heart's content and immediately flip it for a left hand). Although I think David Ikeda's Kung Fu Tools, which I just found on flay might do the trick.

Couldn't find Yoichiro's plugins, unfortunately...

In a slightly related vein - I'm still pretty new at the whole rigging thing. Is there a way to reverse the effect of rotations around certain axes on a bone in Layout?

e.g. I have a left and right leg.

Increasing Pitch on both of them makes them both rotate forwards, which is fine.
Increasing Heading makes both of them lean left, which is not what I want - I want one to go left and one to go right if I increase heading (if I put the right leg in a bowlegged stance, I want to simply be able to copy the HPB info and dump it in the left leg and have it also be in a bowlegged stance - I don't want to have to reverse H).
Increasing Bank makes both feet rotate to the left, which is also not what I want - again, if I give the right leg a duck stance, I'd like to copy the HPB info into the left leg and also have it rotate outwards without having to reverse B).

Is there a way to do this? I can rotate the skelegon/bone and flip both H and P (which fixes H but breaks P), and in no way can I affect Bank.

This isn't really a big deal for the legs, since they'll probably be IK'd anyways, but, say, for the hands - I don't want to pose one hand into a fist, copy all the HPB's over and have the other hand be all bent backwards with the fingers broken ;)

spec24
09-29-2005, 07:49 PM
Does Yoichiro's Mirror Weights plug-in still work with LW? I'm using 8.2 and I can't get it to work.

Surrealist.
09-29-2005, 07:54 PM
Does Yoichiro's Mirror Weights plug-in still work with LW? I'm using 8.2 and I can't get it to work.

It probably fizzled out after 8.1 maybe, It used to work but someplace along the line it stopped mirroring the weights properly for me and I am on 8.3

Are you sure you are using it right?

Just asking cause I couldn't get it to work right away either.

walfridson
09-30-2005, 12:52 AM
Use kung fu tools for mirror weights, free & works well with 8.3

Surrealist.
09-30-2005, 02:07 AM
Use kung fu tools for mirror weights, free & works well with 8.3

I tried the plugin but it seemed bugged. I have it. I'll try it in 8.3

Thanks.

Sande
09-30-2005, 02:08 AM
Yo's mirror weights works fine with 8.3 - I'm using it nearly every day. It is one of those must have plugins when doing characters - which makes you wonder why there isn't such natively in Lightwave...

Newtek's priorities are sometimes hard to understand. :thumbsdow

Surrealist.
09-30-2005, 02:13 AM
Yo's mirror weights works fine with 8.3 - I'm using it nearly every day. It is one of those must have plugins when doing characters - which makes you wonder why there isn't such natively in Lightwave...

Newtek's priorities are sometimes hard to understand. :thumbsdow

My machine seems to be quirky on things. I have no idea what the deal is. Some plugins just simply don't work.

Thanks for the info. I am glad it is not busted in 8.3 for everyone.

Newtek included the ability to mirror weights in Vertex Paint. Only ON MY MACHINE it is bugged to ****.

spec24
09-30-2005, 07:54 AM
Hmmm. I can't even get Yoichiro's Mirror Weights to appear. It says it's loaded but I can't find it anywhere. I searched completely through the menu commands list and it's not there. Thing is I thought I already had it mapped but when I went to use it it was gone. Tryed loading it, loaded, but couldn't find. :( Oh well - the Kung Fu tools is nicer anyway, worked great!

spec24
09-30-2005, 08:14 AM
Newtek included the ability to mirror weights in Vertex Paint. Only ON MY MACHINE it is bugged to ****.

Have never used this option. Vertex paint was always a little screwy (I thought). However, doesn't mirroring in vertex paint just give you the same weight name on the other side?

Dodgy
09-30-2005, 09:14 AM
I think the mirror weights comes up as 'YMWC' somethign so look for that.

Mirror weights in Vpaint can either be use to mirror to the same wmap, or to a mirror map.