PDA

View Full Version : options for rigging/animating lightwave characters

cresshead
08-20-2005, 11:04 AM
options for rigging/animating lightwave characters...this includes 3rd party
3d apps.....

so for those looking at 'options'.......for character animation only...

td4 rigger for lightwave:- http://www.thomas4d.com/html/t4d_rigging_tools.html

maestro rigger for lightwave:-
http://www.stillwaterpictures.com/maestro/

acs 3:- [free]
http://www.pazur.3d.pl/AutoCharSetup/ACS3_Use.htm

acs4:-
http://acs.polas.net/acs/

rigging video training from splinegod for lightwave out of the box
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/professionalcharacterseries.htm

messiah workstation:-
http://www.projectmessiah.com/

softimage foundation with point oven
www.softimage.com
point oven:-
http://www.ef9.com/ef9/PO.htm

plus the lightwave manual of course!
:lwicon:

mkiii
08-20-2005, 06:17 PM
XSI Foundation definately seems to be one of the best LW plugins around at the moment, and anyone who hasn't snapped up a copy should do so.

cresshead
08-20-2005, 06:56 PM
remember you will also need to factor in the purchase of point oven for transfering your scenes to from lightwave to xsi and also you'd be best placed to get some decent video training for someone like digital tutors to get a hand up into xsi's workflow as many have not found it such an easy ride as they thought it would have been...all in all you should factor around $600-$650 to get up n running which makes it a large purchase descision...so you may want to have a good look at messiah animate if all the other options of lightwave 'plugin' plugins are not to your liking.

note..no hardbody dynamics in xsi..no fur/hair...still it does have it's uses as proved by t4d with his lightwave/point oven/xsi combination of animating characters in xsi and rendering back in lightwave.

:yingyang:

cresshead
08-20-2005, 07:03 PM
i surpose i should also add in ...

3dsmax and point oven [character studio and now standard max bone rigs can handle mo cap files really well including props
.....]
maya and point oven

motion builder...though i have read that there are many 'issues' with the later versions and transition plugins for fbx as alias failed to make it work well with other apps other than maya....and no point oven link either...

i believe that cinema 9.5 full studio bundle [all the modules] is still very weak for character animations so there's little point using cinema4d as a character animation module for use with lightwave as lightwave is much better than cinema by the looks of it......

as always just my opinion for what it's worth!

:lwicon:

riki
08-20-2005, 10:20 PM
I'm reading Jonny Gorden's book at the moment and just orderred Larry's rigging videos from Kurv Studios. I've personally had trouble with t4d, the training material is difficult to get into if you're just starting out at rigging. I'm sure his tools are great but I'd expect step by step instructions for Lightwave since it's a Lightwave plugin, not starting out in Poser or Daz and talking about IK Joints at step 1 without some kind of clarification. Larry waffles on a bit too long :p but at least he explains everything. Dan Alban had some freebie sections of his rigging tuts, which are easy to follow, but the audio goes out of sinc at the end, which makes it difficult (not impossible) to finish. I really wish Lee had've produced more training material, he was really effective at getting the message across. He was succinct, the best I've seen so far, he also knew how to teach, which of course is a profession unto itself.

SplineGod
08-21-2005, 12:56 AM
I find LW more then enough to do a good job at rigging and animating characters. Ive yet to feel that Ive had to jump onto something else. While some things may be better in some specific areas, in general Ive found that each also injects its own set up idiosyncracies into the mix which tends to negate those advantages. :)

Actually the rigging videos I have thru KURV arent general rigging videos. One covers the new bone tools in LW8 and the other covers IKBoost, another new tool in LW8. I would venture to day that Ive yet to see anything else that properly demonstrates the use of IKBoost which many are still confused about. For the most part the feedback on both those DVDs has been overwhelmingly positive. What I do have that covers rigging overall is about 21 hours of material and comes with unlimited online support.

On another note I was very happy to see both DVDs get reviewed in 3D world magazine. Both received 8 out of 10 and scored as well as the Gnomon DVDs they reviewed. :)

http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/personal/review.jpg

cresshead
08-21-2005, 01:47 AM
hi
i have the bone tools cdrom and the ik booster cdrom and they are quite detailed and really cheap...probably your first stop if you want to learn about bones, ik and general character rigging information...i also have the next dimension and world wide tour video's from splinegod and they add up to over 20 hours of training i think!...

once you start watching larry's [splinegod] video's you'll get to appreciate just what reserviour of really useful information he gives you one of the best things is he shows you how to get out of situations when they don't go how you'd expect...most training video's NEVER even touch upon this so you are left high n dry 'if' or more importantly 'WHEN' something YOU are trying to make/rig or animate/render doesn't do as it should..all the behind the scenes info he imparts to you enable's you to understand what and why things are doing what they do and how to get them back on track if/when they happen not to follow your commands in your project whih will most probably be nothing like what the training project is.......think about it.....VERY useful. :king:

i also have the introduction training from larry [splinegod] which is about 20 hours long! and that's a great primer for anyone who's starting out in lightwave or like me transitioning my skills from 3ds max over to lightwave.

:newtek: :lwicon:

cresshead
08-21-2005, 01:56 AM
re Jonny Gorden's character creation book and rigging/animating book..i have both and onlt wish i had the time to properly read them then go and do the projects..they look great but having gone thru the alien creation in book one it took too long to decifer certain things from the book to my lightwave scene...i REALLY wish Jonny Gorden would make a training DVD of all the book content i'd happily buy it!...even at $100 or more......books are okay but video training is THE WAY for detailed things like modeling and rigging characters...

the best book i have is a maya 5 fundemental's book as the WHOLE book is also on dvd as chaptered video tutorials...fantastic!...best of both worlds! :D

riki
08-21-2005, 01:58 AM
Hi Larry, yep that's the two I've just orderred. The Character series would be good, but a bit more than I can afford at the moment.

cresshead
08-21-2005, 02:02 AM
hi riki did you know that T4D has just RE WRITTEN the manual for his rigging tools?
they read much better now...
they are on pdf over at his website... :dance:

Go get 'em!

T-Light
08-21-2005, 06:35 PM
Hi Cresshead.

Where did you order Splinegod's IKBoost CD, was it a UK supplier or Kurv in the States?

SplineGod
08-22-2005, 12:21 AM
Hey Riki,
Those would be the CDs. The character material can be ordered per module. Also if youre interested and dont think you can afford them drop me a line ;)

Cress,
Thanks for the comments :)
I agree. I think many things are easier to learn from videos. Plus there is support on top of that. BTW, if you didnt already know it Ive moved my support site to http://support.3dtrainingonline.com. Ive got some nice options for support nobody else is doing.

T-Light,
Those can be ordered off my site or KURVs site. :)

riki
08-22-2005, 12:39 AM
Thanks Larry I will take you up on that offer in a month or so. I just orderred Macromedia Studio 8, so I'm on the bones of my b-um at the moment. :) Just need a few weeks to recover.

UnCommonGrafx
08-22-2005, 06:41 AM
Larry's stuff is topnotch and for the person who plans on Living LightWave.
:lwicon: Two years in and though I've looked at all the vids I still let them 'run in the background' because it's not only a lot of material to digest but it runs like a lecture series on LightWave.
I'm finally using the shear tool. Who'da thought?

Combine this knowledge with the tool that is Maestro and whew! What a combo! Maestro 1 is already an amazing tool for animating; what's been promised for 2 is crazy cool. The only text I haven't seen on the list of features, to make it perfect, is the ability to mirror poses on the fly for walkability like in MotionBuilder.
Besides it being an 'autorigger' it is best suited for controlling the other autoriggers created rigs. That's the one thing that has surprised me: not many have talked about or shared panes for ACS4, T4D et al. I guess it makes sense though. With the updates had for all soon, mayhaps.
The ability to use them all together is the best of it all. Rig with what you want even setting up a button for alternative riggers; animate with Maestro's sophistication always at hand; very smooth workflow and power over all that one has to manage in animation. 2.0 is looking better and better.

T-Light
08-22-2005, 10:52 PM
SplineGod-

Those can be ordered off my site or KURVs site
Cheers Larry, just thought I'd see if there was an outlet in the UK for cheaper / faster postage etc.

Now that I'm reading this back it just sounds that I'm really tight.
1*IKBoost Vid = 13 + 50p postage and packing.

My Great Grandfather was a Scot, I'm destined to live out my days with moths in my wallet :D

SplineGod
08-22-2005, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. :)

I also give ppl the option to download the videos
Drop me a line :)

Knight Chat X
08-23-2005, 06:47 AM
Larry does a good job at showing the important steps simple and straight forward, the one thing that makes me unhappy about other videos on the net is the lack of up to date information with simplicity and using the same tools in the graphics app and not trying to go overboard with too much detail in one wack.

For example, the face video's show the basic concepts of making face, and the armour examples, instead of re-creating each piece from scratch it saves time to keep it simple and use what you already have when possible from the existing model, then from there on branch out to more complex detail.

Other videos try too cram hours of detail and steps which may not be required using simpler methods, and some videos are too simple and don't even cover using Lightwave but more navigating windows.

SplineGod
08-23-2005, 12:11 PM
Thanks Knight,
Glad to hear you found it useful. I like to keep things simple. Its how you get things done. :)
Also, Ive moved things to a new support forum if you havent checked it out yet. Please register when you have the chance. :)
http://support.3dtrainingonline.com :)

cresshead
08-23-2005, 12:15 PM
:bowdown: splinegod's training ROCKS!

also the video's from proton are rather nifty too! :newtek: :lwicon:

SplineGod
08-26-2005, 05:55 PM
Thanks Cress! :)