PDA

View Full Version : Wacom Users Question

kiwi dave
08-19-2005, 04:11 AM
Friends of mine have convinced me that a Wacom tablet is the best thing when doing lots of Photoshop work. But are they good for Lightwave?

And then there's the age old debate of size. One says the small tablet is better, while another says that the larger size is the one to go for.

Can any users out there please share their views on which Wacom to get.

Cheers

Dave

Safe Harbor
08-19-2005, 08:32 AM
Many of our customers really like the 21UX. It's a monitor tablet, which allows you to draw right on the monitor's surface, making it so much easier. Of course they're in short supply and expensive, but WELL worth the money.

http://www.sharbor.com/products/WACN5650022.html

Mebek
08-19-2005, 09:25 AM
I have an Intuos2 9x12 tablet. A little older, and I'd love one with the built-in monitor, but it is indeed wonderful for Photoshop. I've used it a little for drawing curves in Modeler, but not much other than that. Still, a very good toy to have.

My reasoning for getting the 9x12 is two-fold: 1 - it fits the dimensions of the monitor so my drawings aren't squashed or stretched, and 2 - I tend to make sweeping motions when I draw so having a lot of surface area is good for me.

lardbros
08-19-2005, 09:31 AM
Yep buy one... i have always thought i'm pants at Photoshop (despite being okay with a pencil or paintbrush) and have always used a mouse to paint texture maps or sketch about. BUT i got given a wacom graphire, it may be small, but it does a pretty good job still. I would love a larger Wacom, just to get rid of the fact that even if your hand moves a TINY amount with the Graphire the movement translates into much larger ones. I'd go a5/a4 if i could afford it... they are a god send.

Never really tried it for long in Lightwave, but the Graphire, being so small would be infuriating trying to grab those tiny little points.

Nigel Baker
08-19-2005, 01:44 PM
Yes do yourself the good deed of having a TABLET.
They will save you in later life, the pains of RSS in your wrist and hands.
They are very comfortable and relaxing to use.

gerry_g
08-19-2005, 01:48 PM
Lardbros is right, the bigger the better (as all the ladies say), an A2 Intuos coupled to a 24" 16:10 aspect monitor will give you a virtually 1:1 environment which is heaven (believe me I know), but A:- thatís a lot of arm stretching to reach the corners, B:- they're sweaty in hot weather an real cold to the touch in the winter, and C:- you're waving good by to a ton of cash !!

Hoopti
08-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Digitalresources.com has supplies of the 17 version still available and they're about $600 less than the 21UX. Just thought I'd post it in case anyone is interested and has that kinda cash.

Hoop

riki
08-19-2005, 07:16 PM
As good as the wacoms are, it's impossible to type text on a wacom, so invariable when you're using Lightwave you will at some stage need to enter values into input fields. The problem with a huge Wacom is that they take up a lot of space, making it difficult to to reach your keyboard. My experience anyway.

kiwi dave
08-21-2005, 05:02 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've decided to go with the A4 Intuos3, so that should keep me out of mischief for a while as I play with my new toy.

Dave

ingo
08-21-2005, 03:15 PM
I am working now for many years with a Wacom A5 tablett (well, actually i have a new Intuos II since a month) which is in my opinion the optimal size, since its the size of a normal mousepad. Its a bit difficult to work with at first, but than you wont never go back to a mouse. And as riki mentioned you should not forget where to place your keyboard next to the Wacom.

Nigel Baker
08-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Hello All,

Yes, I would have to indorse Ingo's view here.
I have an A4 A5 and A6 and without a doubt the A5 Intuos Wacom pad is the best.
The A4 way to large, remember it is way bigger than an A4 page.
The A6 crazily too small, even for a door mouse, although is very useful for small jobs on the go (visiting clients).

The A5 is the perfect working Pad for me.

Stormrazor
08-21-2005, 03:50 PM
I have a Wacom Graphire 3. It has the mouse and pen also. In photoshop, i use the pen but when modelling and in lightwave i just switch back to the mouse. No batteries to mess with, Wireless and compatible with Windows. :lwicon: :thumbsup:

kiwi dave
08-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Yep, after saying I was going to get an A4 when I actually saw one I realised it was massive (I'd need to get a new computer desk to put the **** thing on). So I have followed your words of wisdom and got an A5 pad - with training wheels. A bit wierd to get use to, but already I love it!

Dave