PDA

View Full Version : To 9 or not to 9...

alvin_cgi
08-18-2005, 09:50 PM
:o I am currently in the middle of deciding upgrade to 9 or wait for little while to see any new offer from NT later... also the cost of upgrade to 9 can buy me a new seat of XSI 5.0 foundation(don't get me wrong, LW is a great sw but LW ca... :mad: ), problem is I not sure how much improvement on LW9 character animation and the Vue bundle offer is ending on Aug...hmmm... :question:

Mipmap
08-18-2005, 10:03 PM
I'd just wait until it was out and then read user opinions on the new features and everything, since theres been features in the past that sounded good in writing, looked great even in the demo videos, and then in the final product wasn't really too good at all.

Then you can just use that to decide on if you want to update or not.

BazC
08-19-2005, 01:36 AM
If you want Vue5I grab the upgrade offer, you're basically buying Vue at half price and getting LW9 for free! What have you got to lose? The offer will continue until LW9 is released BTW so no rush to make a decision.

If you don't want Vue I agree, wait to see what other users think of LW9 when it's released. - Baz

jorbedo
08-20-2005, 12:46 AM
Wait, Wait and Wait.

NT is so desperate to sell LW, that they will offer more specials on the future, just look on past offers. when your product is becoming old and obsolete, bundles are the next logical step.

Wait for LW10, LW9 will be full of bugs and patches every three months that will be better to keep working with old versions, they will break everything (AGAIN!). More workarounds.

I'm not pessimistic, just realistic. I;m waiting to see something really really cool coming from NT, like the old days.

JB

Ernest
08-20-2005, 02:37 AM
Better yet, wait for LW125.7!! That one will really have 0 bugs! Or maybe their neurointerface will have one... better wait for 234.4...

Seriously though, the 9.0 core has been built during the 8 life cycle! Where are all these bugs and patches you speak of???

I think that the right time for buying any software offer is when the bundle is so good that, even without the main software, you still won't regret your purchase. That's how I still feel about getting DFX+ for 1/3 of the price when getting 8 for free! Even if 8 had been a dud, even if it hadn't fixed the SDS UV distortion that couldn't be fixed in over 2000 of the "old days" and all the other features, I would have still been happy about all the money I saved on DFX+!

I won't be able to buy Vue for $200 less after this offer expires, so any consideration about LW9 is meaningless for me. If you don't care about Vue, wait for the next offer. LW 9 will still be there. BUT if you'd buy Vue anyway, why not save $200 and get 9 free?

cresshead
08-20-2005, 03:49 AM
lightwave right now is quite neat on it's own for character animation but with something like meastro 1 or VERYU soon meastro 2 will be VERY neat for character animation :thumbsup: :lwicon:

with xsi there's a few things your going to need...headache tablets, a degree in computer programing,...patience, patience, patience IF you want to use only xsi for all your needs..it's very capable but as we've seen elsewhere it also approaches the whole dealof 3d production from a different angle and some will drive you round the twist with their type of 'logic'....but...ahh there's alsways a but!...........

but.......if you only intent to use xsi to suplement certain tools in lightwave suchas rigging and character animation then it maybe a good idea..along with point oven to transfer your animations back to lightwave for rendering out in lightwave's superior workflow for shading/rendering quiality renders 'on time and looking great!

of course others may not agree :twak:

but it's a good compromise and not too expensive...Td4 already uses this workflow for his animation and is in essence similar to how captain scarlet is produced in that modeling and rendering is in lightwave but motion capture animations are handledby maya then transfered back to lightwave via the beaver project/point oven......

if i were you i'd tryout the meastro demo.....
then the Td4 demo....

then have a look at xsi demo [30 days] and ONLY concentrate on rigging and character animating in that...

then decide what's best for YOU.........

which would also include waiting for lightwave 9.0! :D

steve g :thumbsup:

madjester
08-20-2005, 06:24 AM
I really think LW 9 will be well worth the money. I started with 7.5 and I was alittle dissappointed that 8 felt like a patch not a real version jump. However, taking a look at just the features list for 9 shows quite a bit.

N-Gon support, faster rendering, a whole new core, node-based texturing, I think 9 will be what I expected to see from 8, a true leap in what Lightwave can offer.

Unfortunatly its tough to download a demo for XSI or another app to compare to LW 9, theres no telling when a demo will come out. I will say though that 8.5 should be a good intro into the Lightwave world.

Edit: Jorbedo you are negitive, though you do have some points there. Some of the workarounds are little frusterating. I'm going to add a positive rebuttle though. LW 9 looks like a possible end to many problems, with a core rewrite and learning well from 8's problems.

mkiii
08-20-2005, 06:59 AM
I think we should all just wait and see what 8.5 has to offer us.

Forget 9.0 for now, that could be months away yet, and I'm not inclined to spend any more cash until I at least see *some* proper bug fixing in modeler, because at the moment, sub-d uv compensation or no, I'm finding it almost unusable & have had to revert to 7.5 on more than one occasion just to load a high poly model (for hi poly, I'm thinking over a million tris).

Jeff_G
08-20-2005, 07:32 AM
The release of Lightwave 9 is nebulous. It might be released this year, might not. If you have a project you need to get started on, don't bother waiting.
Do you need Vue? If you do, then you might consider this as an inexpensive way to get it.

I'd personally buy XSI if I was doing characters. Our studio switched from LW to XSI, and we love the character and rendering stuff. It's different, but IMHO, so much better.

Chuck
08-20-2005, 08:47 AM
Wait, Wait and Wait.

NT is so desperate to sell LW, that they will offer more specials on the future, just look on past offers. when your product is becoming old and obsolete, bundles are the next logical step.

Wait for LW10, LW9 will be full of bugs and patches every three months that will be better to keep working with old versions, they will break everything (AGAIN!). More workarounds.

I'm not pessimistic, just realistic. I;m waiting to see something really really cool coming from NT, like the old days.

JB

Actually at the new pricing we expect that we will be unlikely to offer value add bundles with the same frequency in future. It is also the case that our marketing research with customers indicates that the releases from 8.0 onwards are in fact among the most stable releases ever done for LightWave, and 9.0 will build on that stabilized foundation. It will release as the most stable version of LightWave ever, and with a streamlined workflow that will make it the fastest version of LightWave ever for producing your 3D content. And each succeeding version will improve on that.

I've had an inside view for years and I've never felt more excited about the direction that LightWave is taking. This is an innovative team of terrific programmers, and the overwhelming majority of folks are finding what they have in the works for v9 and beyond to be very cool indeed.

Having watched your posts for the last few weeks, I see nothing that indicates realism about anything, and no constructive intent whatsoever. For now I'm closing off your account. You can email me if you wish to request reinstatement.

Karmacop
08-20-2005, 09:13 AM
I looked at his posts too. You'd think that he would have made at least one positive comment over the years, but I couldn't find one.

KillMe
08-20-2005, 01:01 PM
about time i wouldn't be at all surprised if hes in the employ of another 3d company

cresshead
08-20-2005, 02:11 PM
nice one chuck... :lwicon: :agree:

Intuition
08-20-2005, 02:11 PM
I've always jumped on the next Lightwave. Since 4.0 every release gives me some more useful stuff. Sometimes it is nto as stable as I'd have liked it but all in all the new release gave me more things to work with.

8.0 while not perfect did give me the ability to do some hard FX dynamics. They were not scientifically accurate but they pulled the effect off.

I've had my complaints about LW over the last 10 years (length of time I've been a newtek customer) but they are not make or break problems for me.

I've longed for memory usage sharing between Layout and modeler so that you don't have to have the textures and models loaded twice (once for each program) but instead have the object and texture loaded once and have the software share the data. Also, I've always wanted Newtek to not have to load the textures into ram but instead just trace the textures at render time, like the ECW format does. Then I could load as many textures as I wanted.

But regardless of the hangups I have been able to make some pretty neat stuff.

I'll be jumping on 9 as soon as it comes out. Will it have modeling like z-brush? No, probably not. Will it have rendering like Maxwell? no, probably not. Will the hypervoxels be much faster at rendertime? I dunno.

Why would I jump on 9 then? Well, because Lightwave has and always will be the best darn all in one package available. It has been my main form of income for 10 years. Heck, a scene I'm building right now barely holds together and often crashes Lightwave.

Yet, I remember just how I am able to build such a detailed and beautiful scene. With Lightwave. Nuff said. Regardless of my liitle complaints here and there it has been evolving along over the years and always gets better.

I'm surprised Newtek can maintain thier business as development costs must be skyhigh and they have to balance what they CAN DO against what they WANT TO DO with they time they have.

www.themarsunderground.com

watch the trailer. Everything was Lightwave.

or

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/deepimpact/multimedia/DI_disc_channel.html

With the exception of the earth comet collision all the other stuff was Lightwave. I think Nasa had thier own footage for the earth collision. The rest, jupiter comets/collisions, deep impact ship and comets were all done in Lightwave.

To see the last two projects I worked on helps me remember that even with my little irks here and there with LW :lwicon: I have still been able to make some really neat stuff. These are done with Lightwave 7.0 through 8.3.

With 9 I'm sure the visuals will only get more impressive. Oh yeh, and here yet another "C,mon Lightwave 64bit!" plug from me. :D

So....to 9 or not to 9?

Most definitely.

theo
08-20-2005, 09:34 PM

:2guns: :twak: :cursin:

alvin_cgi
08-21-2005, 07:22 AM
well... :cool:... I am decided TO 9! :rock: :rock: :rock:

Sande
08-21-2005, 08:15 AM
It is also the case that our marketing research with customers indicates that the releases from 8.0 onwards are in fact among the most stable releases ever done for LightWave, and 9.0 will build on that stabilized foundation. It will release as the most stable version of LightWave ever, and with a streamlined workflow that will make it the fastest version of LightWave ever for producing your 3D content.

Research without marketing (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=37074) in this same forum shows that nearly every 4th user has 1 or 2 crashes per day... I'm personally having maybe 2-5 crashes/day average with Lightwave 8.3 (using it about 8 hours a day) and I certainly hope your "stabilized foundation" with Lightwave 9 is indeed a way more stable than with 8...

Other than that, feature list looks very impressive (compliments to coders) and I can't wait to get a hold of version 9. :)

Karmacop
08-21-2005, 09:01 AM
I'm sure Newtek do much better (statistically) research than a forum poll, and even then the forum poll shows that more than half the users only get a few crashes every week, which I would say was fairly good. :)

Still, I think everyone would agree that LW8 has been the most stable version yet and that the dev team have done a lot of bug killing. Remember those bugs that have been in there for years and now they're finally gone? :thumbsup:

Chuck
08-21-2005, 09:06 AM
Research without marketing (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=37074) in this same forum shows that nearly every 4th user has 1 or 2 crashes per day... I'm personally having maybe 2-5 crashes/day average with Lightwave 8.3 (using it about 8 hours a day) and I certainly hope your "stabilized foundation" with Lightwave 9 is indeed a way more stable than with 8...

Other than that, feature list looks very impressive (compliments to coders) and I can't wait to get a hold of version 9. :)

"Research without marketing"? The foundation of marketing research (research by the company's marketing team on current and potential customers) is to get accurate results - nothing else would help to correct problems and create workable plans for future development and marketing. It really is not the case, as your message seems to indicate you may feel, that it is research distorted for marketing purposes.

We've taken note of the poll results you cite but the fact of the matter is that it isn't as accurate as the results from our marketing research for a number of reasons. It does represent the subset of users who participate on the forums and who were willing to respond to a poll on the forum - 196 out of 55K forum members. It may not accurately represent any larger subset of the LightWave user community.

If you have repeatable steps for the crashes you are experiencing, please do report those, either here in the Bug Workshop threads in our support fora, or via email to [email protected]

pixeltek
08-21-2005, 09:23 AM
Intuition, you said:

"I've longed for memory usage sharing between Layout and modeler so that you don't have to have the textures and models loaded twice (once for each program) but instead have the object and texture loaded once and have the software share the data."

Maybe I don't understand your concern, but the way I have been doing since LW6 with the advent of the Hub, I believe, is that when I change or add a texture in Layout, a quick switch to Modeler will carry forward any change without having to load the change again in the other part of LW. It works both ways. Also, any objects or layers added in Layout, are reflected in the Modeler, and the other way around, you can hit the Synchronize Layout button, though I hardly ever find that necessary.

What I don't know is how to re- or unload a texture. If I make a change, I always have to change the name of the changed image, because LW will not reload the changed image on the fly, when you tell it to load the changed texture image once more, but with the same name.

Karl
http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/

Karmacop
08-21-2005, 09:24 AM
Although fora is a correct plural for forum, it's based on the latin plural. Forums is also a correct plural of forum and not only is it more descriptive but it also takes the form of a common English plural ;)

Sande
08-21-2005, 09:29 AM
Chuck, you read me between the lines quite accurately... :)
I'm indeed a bit sceptical when it comes to the claims of that research (mostly because of my own personal experience with LW 8), but it's also true that the poll on this site isn't exactly accurate or very scientific.

It would be nice to see even more people participate in that poll, so the numbers would become more accurate. :)

Naturally I'll report any bugs I can trace. Last time I reported a bug in UV-viewport which caused 8.2 to crash and I was pleasantly surprised to see it got immediately fixed at version 8.3. :)

Ade
08-21-2005, 09:36 AM
I think lw9 looks like an excellent update thats a must have if you own a pc and want to middle weight animation.
Its only going to get better.
NT has been great with their stability on pc update slately, from lw8.
For $300ish upgrade its freakin excellent!

Im only going to hold off this time upgrading due to not being happy with the mac side of things. I will use mod o 201 till I see other mac users praise the parity with lw9 then I will upgrade. I feel lw mac isnt important to NT as we havnt been upgraded to many of the things said in the past.
Xcode g5 optimisations is an oldie.
I dont believe 8.5 hardware shading features will be supported for mac as theres been no response or assurance of mac development.

Chuck
08-21-2005, 09:46 AM
We are every bit as committed to the Mac platform as we are to the Windows platform. We've been at parity on the platforms for quite a long time. The only things we can't provide are those for which Apple has not yet added support - hardware shaders in OpenGL and 64-bit GUI capability, since LightWave is an application that has to handle data within the GUI. Apple is working on those, and we're confident that they will bring those updates to the OS in a timely fashion.

Karmacop
08-21-2005, 09:49 AM
Ade, you should complain to Apple. Yes Newtek could change their Mac development to Xcode (and maybe they will with 9?), but a lot of the problems are with OSX. OSX doesn't support 64 bit GUI applications, nor does it support open GL 2 which is needed for the hardware shading. I'm sure you're upset about these and other issues, but I think your blame is a bit misplaced.

Lude
08-21-2005, 10:38 AM
In short, im going to get the company to go for 9 just to have faster render times. For me that's all that maters at the moment.

Intuition
08-21-2005, 10:39 AM
Intuition, you said:

Maybe I don't understand your concern, but the way I have been doing since LW6 with the advent of the Hub, I believe, is that when I change or add a texture in Layout, a quick switch to Modeler will carry forward any change without having to load the change again in the other part of LW. It works both ways. Also, any objects or layers added in Layout, are reflected in the Modeler, and the other way around, you can hit the Synchronize Layout button, though I hardly ever find that necessary.

Karl
http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/

I do utilize the HUB and changes are reflected in Layout after I switch to modeler. That is not the problem though.

My concern here is that both programs use RAM seperately. An object loaded into Layout, say a 2MB object with 10MB of imagemaps on it, can be called into modeler through the hub like you mentioned. The problem is that it has to be loaded into the RAM again for use in modeler. So another 2MB object and 10MB for images gets loaded into modeler even though its the same object. SO your ram usage is doubled for the same object.

Now imagine that you have a 2million plus polygon scene and decide you want to make some changes in Modeler. Essentially your computer better be able to handle 4million polygons loaded becuase to switch to modeler loads the object again. If HUB utilized one set of memory for Layout and Modeler to refer to (images too) then the RAM usage would be better optimized.

That is what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

Not sure if 9 addresses this but I'm buying it anyways.

madjester
08-21-2005, 10:54 AM
Its interesting hearing about this, I'm quite the amateur 3D user, and I use LW in a very different way. I tend to work totally in modeler (Modeling and Vmapping) one day then the next day work only in Layout (Rigging and Texturing.) Its not often I have both open at once so I never really notice the problems with connectivity.

Ade
08-21-2005, 06:14 PM
Ade, you should complain to Apple. Yes Newtek could change their Mac development to Xcode (and maybe they will with 9?), but a lot of the problems are with OSX. OSX doesn't support 64 bit GUI applications, nor does it support open GL 2 which is needed for the hardware shading. I'm sure you're upset about these and other issues, but I think your blame is a bit misplaced.

Karmacop, agreed.
But as I stated to Chuck, Newtek needs to be more discriptive with their updates and say *pc only requires open gl 2.0 when theres a feature not available for macs.

I would argue to Apple, Turbo and I blasted ATI when they had that display crash rotate bug and got it fixed.
But when you see your platform not getting any of these features, you start to think its being neglected.

Karmacop
08-21-2005, 07:46 PM
My concern here is that both programs use RAM seperately. An object loaded into Layout, say a 2MB object with 10MB of imagemaps on it, can be called into modeler through the hub like you mentioned. The problem is that it has to be loaded into the RAM again for use in modeler. So another 2MB object and 10MB for images gets loaded into modeler even though its the same object. SO your ram usage is doubled for the same object.

I think this is one of the major reasons that people want "integration". If Modeler and Layout used the same memory then then hub wouldn't need to look for updates, they'd just happen. You could have layout open and running an animation and paint the weight maps in modeler and you wouldn't need to sync the programs to see the changes. At least that's how I understand it. I don't know if this has been changed in 9.0, but I hope it is.

Karmacop
08-21-2005, 07:49 PM
Karmacop, agreed.
But as I stated to Chuck, Newtek needs to be more discriptive with their updates and say *pc only requires open gl 2.0 when theres a feature not available for macs.

That's a good point. They should be more up front with that.

I would argue to Apple, Turbo and I blasted ATI when they had that display crash rotate bug and got it fixed.
But when you see your platform not getting any of these features, you start to think its being neglected.

I'm sure you do. You will be getting new features, just not all of them ... and I guess OGL 2 is a big feature of 8.5. But when you look at it, you're really being neglected by Apple, not Newtek.

Ade
08-21-2005, 08:13 PM
I dont know about that Karmacop.
Ive seen features in c4d and modo in display modes that can be achieved but arent in lightwave.
The Ui's of those apps feel more mac based than newteks.
Its like as if we have a UI thats very pc based and we have to be held back cause of that.
Much of lightwave was made to save memory back in the Amiga days, with 8 gigs of ram, these mimitations arent a big deal nomore.

I think out texture shaded display needs a few more features supported.

Chuck
08-21-2005, 08:34 PM

The platform specific OpenGL issues will certainly be included in the documentation with the release, and we have mentioned it in forum posts when folks asked about the topic. Apologies if this doesn't seem up front enough - we probably have been just kind of assuming that since Apple has documented the level of OpenGL capability available in the OS, that when we discussed OpenGL 2 specific capabilities Mac users would understand that those would have to come to Mac after Apple brings the capability to OS X. The advance communications regarding the update are not intended to fully document 8.5 by any means, and freighting them with detailed qualifying statements did not seem appropriate.

Our LightWave management and development staff have been communicating with Apple to add our voice to the urgency for enhanced OpenGL and for full 64-bit status for the OS, as we want to bring these elements to Mac users as quickly as possible.

Ade
08-21-2005, 08:38 PM
The platform specific OpenGL issues will certainly be included in the documentation with the release, and we have mentioned it in forum posts when folks asked about the topic. Apologies if this doesn't seem up front enough - we probably have been just kind of assuming that since Apple has documented the level of OpenGL capability available in the OS, that when we discussed OpenGL 2 specific capabilities Mac users would understand that those would have to come to Mac after Apple brings the capability to OS X. The advance communications regarding the update are not intended to fully document 8.5 by any means, and freighting them with detailed qualifying statements did not seem appropriate.

Our LightWave management and development staff have been communicating with Apple to add our voice to the urgency for enhanced OpenGL and for full 64-bit status for the OS, as we want to bring these elements to Mac users as quickly as possible.

Chuck few things:
Hows the request for Open Gl 2 going according to you guys from Apple?

Also, whats the best way to talk to Apple about specific things?
Do they visit this board? Should you tell em to visit this board?
How quick are they in listening and being aware of whats needed?

Chuck
08-21-2005, 08:44 PM
I dont know about that Karmacop.
Ive seen features in c4d and modo in display modes that can be achieved but arent in lightwave.
The Ui's of those apps feel more mac based than newteks.
Its like as if we have a UI thats very pc based and we have to be held back cause of that.
Much of lightwave was made to save memory back in the Amiga days, with 8 gigs of ram, these mimitations arent a big deal nomore.

I think out texture shaded display needs a few more features supported.

On both platforms up to 8.3, display performance in LightWave has not necessarily matched that of other applications, specifically because LightWave has used a lot of native drawing routines rather than catching up with the available graphics technologies being provided in OpenGL and new display hardware. The changes in 8.5 do away with those obsolete approaches and will greatly improve performance on both platforms, even though the OpenGL 2.0 features will only be available for now on the OS that allows them.

Ade
08-21-2005, 08:52 PM
Chuck we appreciate this insight.
Newtek has to realise mac people are pretty loyal and if they kept in the know, they'll be patient BUT only if they know you are ontop of developing for it. Please in future tell us we dont have support so when the update comes we dont start pointing features.
This 8.5 update seems to be a tell tale where lightwave will be heading.
What would be great is stuff like support for apples new mouse where you can use the trackball feature to scroll and use the slider to zoom in and out.
Small feat but a nice one im sure many would appreciate.

T-Light
08-21-2005, 09:11 PM
Pixeltek-

What I don't know is how to re- or unload a texture. If I make a change, I always have to change the name of the changed image, because LW will not reload the changed image on the fly, when you tell it to load the changed texture image once more, but with the same name.

To delete an image...
Click on Image Editor (Press F6) and right click over the image name to the left, you should see a small 'delete popup', click it :)

To update an image...
Click on Image Editor (Press F6), click on your image name to the left, click "Replace" (the upper center button) and select your newly updated image of the same name. You should see the small display update with your latest image.

Sorry that's all a bit off topic.

ps Definetely on to 9, BRING IT ON :lwicon: :thumbsup:

SplineGod
08-22-2005, 12:26 AM
:o I am currently in the middle of deciding upgrade to 9 or wait for little while to see any new offer from NT later... also the cost of upgrade to 9 can buy me a new seat of XSI 5.0 foundation(don't get me wrong, LW is a great sw but LW ca... :mad: ), problem is I not sure how much improvement on LW9 character animation and the Vue bundle offer is ending on Aug...hmmm... :question:

Theres some things going on with the changes in LW 9 that will definatley effect rigging and animation. One is that the modeling tools will be in layout. That means that point level animation will be possible for things like smart skinning.
It will also be easier to create endomorphs directly in layout.
Weight mapping will be available in layout. It will be cool to be able to create and adjust weight maps right there.
The expression engine will be based on relativity which will be integrated into LW 9. This is something thats way more powerful then what is currently in LW.
On top of that Im pretty certain that Newtek will be making improvements on whats already there. That and the additions mentioned will help to vastly improve the character rigging and animation tools.

Verlon
08-22-2005, 12:52 AM
The UI is PC based????

As I understand it, UI stands for "user interface" in this context. This would be defined as where you click to get what result, what the clicked object looks like, and keyboard shortcuts, right?

Ok, keyboard shortcuts are editable..if you can't bear ctrl-c to copy, change it to something else.

The rest of the UI looks suspiciously like LW3.0 on the Amiga from more than a decade ago. That's about as UN-pc as you can get and still have graphics that aren't based on ASCII characters. I mean, even APPLE has taken money from microsoft. Commodore never did that (they just went bankrupt instead...)

mav3rick
08-22-2005, 05:24 AM
splinegod how about edit and modify skelegons inside layout?
that's called improvement... so i can setup/fix/edit my setup on the fly and not reedit and reconvert my skelegons all over

JML
08-22-2005, 06:36 AM
a little question,
is there any plan later to have LW support both DirectX and OpenGL2 ?
just wondering..

Chris S. (Fez)
08-22-2005, 07:15 AM
We will see some of the opengl improvements in 8.5? Does Modeler in 8.5 support true transparency mapping?

T-Light
08-22-2005, 07:24 AM
Chris S-

We will see some of the opengl improvements in 8.5?
It seems that we're going to get the full (or thereabouts) updates of OpenGL in 8.5 :cool:

Does Modeler in 8.5 support true transparency mapping?
They haven't said so but you'd expect them to, why would they only have the faster drawing code in layout?

dwburman
08-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I remember seeing a review of LW 5 (or something like that) for the mac that complained about the UI looking like a PC or something along those lines. There was definitely more of Amiga style in there than a Windows look.

The UI is PC based????
The rest of the UI looks suspiciously like LW3.0 on the Amiga from more than a decade ago. That's about as UN-pc as you can get and still have graphics that aren't based on ASCII characters. I mean, even APPLE has taken money from microsoft. Commodore never did that (they just went bankrupt instead...)

Oh, and to stay somewhat on topic... I ordered the LW9 upgrade... Vue could come in handy and I would've upgraded anyway so why not.

:dance:

Chris S. (Fez)
08-22-2005, 02:24 PM
Hot ****. I sure hope so. Please Newtek. Give us true transparency mapping in 8.5. Do it for old Fez :angel: .

Chris S-

It seems that we're going to get the full (or thereabouts) updates of OpenGL in 8.5 :cool:

They haven't said so but you'd expect them to, why would they only have the faster drawing code in layout?

SplineGod
08-22-2005, 02:44 PM
splinegod how about edit and modify skelegons inside layout?
that's called improvement... so i can setup/fix/edit my setup on the fly and not reedit and reconvert my skelegons all over

You can pretty much do that now. If you rig in layout its easy to swap bodies and retweak the bones into place.
If you use skelegons theres 2 plugins that I know that will allow you to tweak skelegons and have them updated in layout.
You can also use the load bones plugin to convert bones back to skelegons as well. :)

mav3rick
08-23-2005, 01:45 AM
i know spline there is always workround... wouldnt it be cool to have all in 1 solution?

julos
08-23-2005, 04:15 AM
Speed in rendering is what we need, therefore Lw9 looks very good.

Animation is not that bad but an already built Skeleton wouldn't hurt and be a big time saver (see XSI, CS4 etc...).

Anyway I'll wait before I order Lightwave 9.

Sande
08-23-2005, 06:21 AM
Speed is good, stability even better. I don't care if it takes couple extra months to finish as long as they make it stable this time...

JCG
08-26-2005, 03:31 PM
It seems that the ovewhelming vote is "to 9" since, today, the LW9 upgrade climbed to the #1 bestseller in Sharbor! (and that's not counting all the upgrades to LW8 with free upgrade to 9 that are also among the top 5) (And Vue was shipped in just two days, now.)

kopperdrake
08-26-2005, 04:12 PM
Oh yep - I finally got an upgrade attached to an offer so I'm a happy bunny :D

I've considered other options before but to be honest I always come back to LW as an all-in-one answer. Sure, I use FPrime for the majority of arch viz stuff nowadays, but modeler still rocks and lets you get dirty and intimate with points and polys.

I vote for 9 (as I have just done with my cash) because I've more faith in Newtek over the last 6 months or so than I have for the previous year or so - point updates are rolling thick and fast. Faster rendering is always good, as is opening up the code for 3rd party renderers :D Choice is (usually) always good! I'm also a bit of a sucker for loyalty - if they deliver then I'll feel it's paid off :)

Vue 5 looks like a nice piece of software and I honestly can't wait for a free minute to sit and play with it, but work just keeps happening and I have Lightwave to thank for that :) I can churn work out with the speed and quality that keeps clients happy and stays one step ahead of the majority of arch viz around my area - at the end of the day it's the tools I use that let me do that.

Please one thing I would dearly love to see:: and I mean DEARLY!!!!::

I want to be able to assign surfaces to polygons without a drop down menu that I have to scroll down. I want to be able to choose several polygons that I want to assign a surface name and attribute to, by highlighting them, hitting a hot key and dragging a rubber band from a polygon that already has the surface I want (or surface name in surface editor attached to another object, or from a preset in the surface library) to the highlighted polygons. This would save me a fortune in time over the course of a project!

Sure, we have the surface library but you can only copy those to a surface name in the surface panel, which means you have to type the name in first.

PLEASE :D Dreamweaver uses something similar to create hotlinks from one html page to another - you just rubber band them. It's great!!

If you give me this feature, as I've said before, I'll send some decent English beer over to Newtek :D

Dunk

http://www.albino-igil.co.uk

Riplakish
08-27-2005, 04:48 PM

I'm sure you do. You will be getting new features, just not all of them ... and I guess OGL 2 is a big feature of 8.5. But when you look at it, you're really being neglected by Apple, not Newtek.

Apple is moving towards x86 hardware. Its OS(X) is primarily Mach and FreeBSD with a nice GUI on PPC now.

I think you're going to find Apple on the road that Sun is well down now - a company that really can't figure out what makes it special and worth investing in.

I do have to give them credit for finally brining Unix to the masses, however :)