PDA

View Full Version : Help! AGP not recognized

CB_3D
08-18-2005, 09:41 PM
Hi. After a reinstallation of Windows my Geforce 6600 is shown as a PCI card. I noticed the problem because videofiles kept freezing, actually not playing at all.

Just to make sure i swapped it with an older GF 5200, and the problem was gone.

I really need the 6600 because of the digital connection for my monitor.

If someone has a solution to this bizarre problem please post it here ASAP.

BTW, i use the latest Nvidia drivers, but that has nothing to do with the problem . I tried several driver versions and it]s always the same, 5200 recognized as AGP, 6600 not.

Sigh...i do hate computers.

EDIT>

I have a MSI 875P Neo motherboard with AGP 8x.

Verlon
08-18-2005, 11:45 PM
Hmmm. that is bizarre.

1) check bios setting for initial display device to AGP, not PCI. It SHOULDN'T make a difference, but I did not do much with Win2k.

2) I once, long ago, saw a cyrix processor that was toasted in such a way that it would boot a ISA video card normally, but not a PCI one (yes, it was that long ago). Again, this doesn't sound like your issue since the other card is coming up.

3) Any chance itis being seen as PCI Express? The 6600 is available in that format (and its a bit faster than the AGP 8X at that). Perhaps the software is confused a bit? I have never had any trouble with nvidia reference drivers, but this is an unusual problem.

Does the card work ok when seen as a PCI card? is that extra power connector hooked up correctly? Nothing else on that rail except case fans?

JCG
08-19-2005, 12:34 AM
It seems that it's not that uncommon...
http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4023
http://discussions.hardwarecentral.com/archive/index.php/t-22854.html

There's also a bunch of links about this on linux machines, but they fix it by editing stuff in /etc and stuff, so it's probably not very useful...

Aquaman
08-19-2005, 05:53 AM
Make sure you have the latest chipset drivers installed. IF your windows version is Win2k or XP pre SP2 or SP1 it will not have the correct drivers for your chipset. I'm not saying its your problem but if it you haven't done it already it's definitely a good thing to do and should be one of the first things done after a clean windows install.

Verlon
08-19-2005, 06:23 AM
good point...if the motherboard is via, you need the 4 in one drivers. If this is a fresh install, they should be installed before the video drivers. So you might have to reinstall nvidia drivers after you install 4 in one.

CB_3D
08-19-2005, 11:19 AM
Hmmm. that is bizarre.

Does the card work ok when seen as a PCI card? is that extra power connector hooked up correctly? Nothing else on that rail except case fans?

There is no extra power connector?!

I tried everything, but still no luck. I think iŽll go for a complete re-install now.

CB_3D
08-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Ok, thx to the tips here i solved the problem without actually knowing the culprit.

In the Bios I changed the AGP width to 256mb as the card has. Then i uninstalled the NVIDIA drivers and upgraded the motherboard with the automatic MSI Liveupdate utility...after installing all Windows servicepacks and patches.

Only then i installed the Nvidia drivers. In the adapter properties the card is still shown as a PCI1 card, but 3d apps and video run ultrasmooth and fast. A system diagnostic tool from MSI also sees it as an AGP8x adapter.

Phew... :thumbsup: