PDA

View Full Version : Studio Reference Speakers Recommendation

wess
08-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Hi,

I am getting to replace my current speakers that I am using with VT3. I would like to get a number of recommendation on good speakers for monitoring audio so I get a true representaion of the audio being recorded. I record live video in a church setting.

I am currently using a Sony MDR-V600 headset which is not comfortable when used over an extended period of time.

Thanks!

bradl
08-19-2005, 12:17 AM
According to guys I trust, Genelec is the best.

Jim Capillo
08-19-2005, 05:09 AM
Hi,

I am getting to replace my current speakers that I am using with VT3. I would like to get a number of recommendation on good speakers for monitoring audio so I get a true representaion of the audio being recorded. I record live video in a church setting.

I am using the 824 Mackies (http://www.mackie.com/products/hr824/index.html) and love 'em ! :thumbsup:

nevmoor
08-19-2005, 03:35 PM
How much is your budget? I like the Mackies too. As a matter of fact I know a guy who sold his genelecs after hearing the Mackies. I think they sound like they should cost much more. Dont turn them up too loud though!!!!

wess
08-22-2005, 05:06 PM
I had posted a reply the other day but it some how did not get posted.

Anyway thanks for all the recommendations. My butget is around $250 and I was thinking about the M-Audio BX5a series speakers.

Thanks!

Wess

Shasari
12-17-2006, 10:06 AM
With your budget you might want to take a look at KRK systems. I use a set of the Rokit RP-5's as they both fit beside my dual monitor setup and also work well with PC sound cards. I've got the RP-5's and the RP-10S to make up the full system (the RP-10S being a 10" powered sub, 210w) and I've very much enjoyed them. "Plenty of bang for the buck" as they say. They really do sound sweet. The sub was about $300.00, and each speaker was about $200.00

http://www.krksys.com

With monitor speakers, in general, you get what you pay for.

Though if my budget had been higher I probably would have gone with something more high-end. I've had a few friends who are also serious audiophiles like me give them a listen-to and they like what they hear as well.

Excellent presence and sound quality. They have truly exposed quite a bit of hidden "stuff" in some of the recordings I've listened to through lesser speakers, and I was surprised at what I've heard from some of my favorite recordings.

David

wess
12-17-2006, 11:50 PM
Shasari,

Thanks for your interest. I had a pair of KRKs. I liked the sound but unfortunately I could not turn the audio all the way down. At the lowest level, you could not hold a conversation. I could not resolve the loudness issue with the vendor or the manufacturer and hence had to return the speakers.

Shasari
12-18-2006, 07:38 AM
I've never experienced that with the setup I have, so I wonder what the deal was. What model did you have? I assume you tried tweaking the gain control knob on the back and all of that?

I'm just curious because that is behaviour I've never experienced from my setup.

abrenz
12-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Wess,
Whatever you purchase decision, it might be helpful to buy from a local Guitar Center. The one I buy from will price match any item that is available on the internet. I got around $150 off each Mackie 824 I bought. All my GC requires is that I show them the website with the price, or bring in an email quote from a competitor.
Good luck,
Andy

wess
12-18-2006, 03:46 PM
I got mine (KRK-5) from Musicians Friend. I finaly setlled on a Roland monitor. Thanks for asking.