PDA

View Full Version : To the LW, Reno Area User who...

Zach
08-18-2005, 06:13 PM
Ok, who ever you are, I am severely miffed by you and your purchasing things when I was going to go purchase them!

Yah, you know what I'm talking about... Timothy Albee's Essential LightWave 3d book over at Borders Books... Sound familiar? You went ahead and bought that book, and I drove all the way down from Lake Tahoe, when gas prices are $3.01 and 9/10ths a gallon, to buy that book with my 30% off coupon that is only good for 3 days, and yes, it wasn't there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not kewl man, NOT KEWL!!!!

You are now officially on my POOP list!!

I didn't know anyone knew what 3D was down here... I thought it was safe to let it lie on the shelf for just one more week. It had been there for god knows how long. You could have bought Dan Ablan's Inside LW 8 or 7... you could have bought the LW 8's Killer Tips and Tricks, but noooo, you had to buy the book I didn't have yet!

Auuuuuuuuuugh!!!!!!

Hope you enjoy it... I know I would have.

Just joking. It's nice to see LW user's down here. Maybe we'll bump into eachother and say, "Duuude", "Duuude"

Karmacop
08-19-2005, 01:59 AM
Best thread ever! ;)

colkai
08-19-2005, 03:15 AM
Classic! :)
Yeah, I've done that myself, now I know there are more wavers around these parts, I make sure I get 'em whilst the going is good. :p

lede
08-19-2005, 09:12 AM
That would of been me :D Yeah I stopped there one day to see if they had a copy because I've been doing a crud load of reading and learning. Really sorry I know how thes f*ck*** gas prices are going and all I can say is sorry. If its any conselation the book is awsom and a great educational read with plunty of good advice. I would be more that happy to let you barrow it.

-Lee

Zach
08-19-2005, 09:50 AM
Thanks for your heartfelt apology, I most undoubtedly accept it! :D . I usually come down to Reno 2x a week to work out at the 24hr on Neil Rd, so I was trying to kill 2 birds with one stone. Since this last hike in gas prices, I might have to slim my trips down, or come up with some kind of rational excuse other than keeping my computer body fit!

I was looking through that book, and I really thought it'd be valuable to have. It's got a ton of quickie tips in there for modeling that I wanted to get into my brain. I sold LightWave late last year ( I was going through mental problems or something ) with all my books, and old boxes, but this VUE deal gave me a good excuse to get it again. The Lightwave Manual is just way too big for me to put it anywhere ( I have absolutly no deskspace at the moment ) and Albee's book seemed to be just what I needed for a refresher, and then some.

Is there a Lightwave User Group around here?

lede
08-19-2005, 10:04 AM
Right now that I know of there isn't any group but I've been trying to get people interested in one for about a year now. IGT has a couple of people who work in Lightwave who presented at the 2004 siggraph with NewTek. It would be really great to get a group started in this area though.

-Lee

TheDynamo
08-19-2005, 10:12 AM
Convieniently enough, I actually have 2 copies of that book from 2 different transactions.... I could easily part with the extra one for $23 plus shipping ;)

-Dyn

Zach
08-19-2005, 10:27 AM
IGT?

Yah, a user group 'd be pretty awesome.

I'm from Portland and helping out with the Tahoe/Reno International Film Festival, and I'm looking for an excuse to stay here job-wise. I've met somebody in Truckee, and she's tops, the shizzle, the cat's meow, the alpha to omega, you get the picture. Don't really want to be too far away from her, so i'm curious what kind of graphics production work involving 3D and the web is going on down here. I'm beginning the process of looking.

There didn't seem to be much interest in LightWave in Portland, it's pretty much a Maya first, Max second kind of town, although a lot of the fx shops over there have their roots in LightWave (Will Vinton and all the offshoots from Vinton). Even the one I was working at used LightWave and Softimage at one point. I've met the nice guys from Antipodemedia.com, and they're a Maya-centric place too.

It's funny, Maya has become to 3D what Photoshop has become to graphics in common vernacluar. When ever i tell someone i do 3D, they ask what software I use, then i say, "LightWave, XSI, and Zbrush.... (face becomes overwhelmed with a perplexed look) and most of my shop work has been in Maya (face smiles in recognition of familiar name)."

Zach
08-19-2005, 10:31 AM
that's funny, I posted the above comment... and you're from portland Dyn!

Actually, i have it on order already, but thanx for the splendid offer. You could probably get a good trade in over at Powell's Technical. It's a fairly new book, and i don't think they have a lot of them.

Where are you based out of in Portland? Freelance?

lede
08-19-2005, 10:46 AM
IGT = Internation Gaming Technologies, their the larget manufacurer of slot machine in the world right now. They did a slot machine with the Star Wars characters that featured a really good replica of Yoda.

I guess then we should just start a user group and let the area know about it. :D

-Lee

Zach
08-19-2005, 10:48 AM
Let's do it then!

Imatk
08-19-2005, 11:30 AM
Awesome.... great post :)

Verlon
08-19-2005, 01:39 PM
You could always ride a bicylce to the bookstore (or the meeting for the user group you are on the verge of starting), and not only save the $$$ on gas, but cover your workout as well.

Zach
08-19-2005, 01:58 PM
Marvelous idea Verlon except for one thing... besides the fact that there is a 2500 foot difference in elevation of winding hill to climb, and it takes nearly 45 mins. to traverse one way by car, I have a fear of the drivers on the road here (although I see tons of folks riding their slick road bicycles, the likes of which I don't have; bike or their tour de france style biking outfits) and i fear i will get smashed by some tourist or impatient local behind a tourist.

I was witness to a car flipping over on the road due to a blown out tire on Monday, and there is no way a bicycler could have made that one out alive if they had been on the road at the same time.

Also, how would i get through the 12 feet of snow that tends to fall here in Tahoe around 6 months out of the year?

Nope, I think I'll stick to polluting the environment within the safer confines of my sport utility wagon, where the seatbelt is my best friend and George Bush thanks me for it. I'll just have to rob a bank or get into prostitution (which i hear there is a lot of in Nevada) in order to pay for the outrageous gas prices that in turn stop the terrorists! (please note: I'm being fecetious)

Then again, I AM open to suggestions.

Verlon
08-19-2005, 02:13 PM
well, lets see....

45 minutes of winding hill, well its only bad one way.....the downhill run ought to be easy :P
The uphill side is just the kind of agressive exercise plan to get you into shape. I can't say it will make you into the next Lance Armstrong, as I live in/near Austin, and he is about to be canonized here or something (and I work for AMD, and he is about to be canonized there as well I think).

It will however, help you to become the best mere mortal cyclist you can be.

On a bicylce, you would be a much smaller target, and thus much less likely to get hit. Also, consider in your example the car with the blowout. How did the driver of that car fare? What happens when your bike tire goes flat? Nothing, you just stop and fix it.

Snow? Well, assuming you maintain this pessimistic attitude, you aren't going to get anywhere, now you just turn that frown upside down (or rotate 180 degrees along the appropriate axis if you prefer), and get out there and make a difference.

You can use the $9 in gas saved to buy yourself a double helping of ben and jerry's because you KNOW you'll work the calories off. ICe cream makes everything better.

Zach
08-19-2005, 02:18 PM
lol

you got me!

Oh, um just to be annoying...

The hill ascends on both trips.
Bikes aren't cheap, nor the clothes you ride in.
The driver of the car had a scratch on her finger. The seat belt literally saved her life and whatever else.
I'm Lactose Intollerant.

I'll work on the pessimism! :D

lede
08-19-2005, 02:21 PM
Well since you are in a higher elevation why not get a hang glider and just fly down from the mountian tops to the meetings. Now of course getting back might be interesting but maybe one of the members would be willing to bring you back home.

Hey wait a minute how many mebers do we have??? Two :question:

Just to note Nevada only has 6 different weather conditions:

to cold
to hot
to dry
to wet
to calm
to windy

so take your pick on which condition would be the best to ride on.

Zach
08-19-2005, 02:23 PM
windy up hill

I like the hang glider idea A LOT!!

Verlon
08-19-2005, 02:28 PM
Well it is physically impoosible for it to be all uphill both ways. Equal parts of the round trip are uphill and down hill. If it IS uphill both ways, like back when I had to walk to school, then it is even better exercise. It becomes what my father (and football coach, and drill sergeant) used to call "character building" (though I might, if pressed, admit that "character building got lumped into the same category as hiccup remedies: i.e. more for the amusement of onlookers than any real help to you)

You don't have to get the latest bike. For the price of a tank of gas you could get a really decent bike from target (and a small cottage on Lake Tahoe and a vacation in Cozumel at the rate things are going)

You do not need special clothes, but another tank of gas saved will get you an entire new wardrobe, which you are going to need with that fresh new physique you will be sporting with all this exercise.

The scratch on her finger might have gotten infected.

They make some kind of now lactose ice cream....or substitute your favorite decadent dessert instead.

You can try all the pessimism you want, but I have plenty of time as I press F5 and listen for the UPS truck with my copy of Vue.

Lightwolf
08-19-2005, 02:35 PM
Hehe, sorry for jumping in... I really enjoyed reading through your thread, and if I was anywhere near NV I'd love to join your user group... just for the laughs...

Cheers,
Mike - still LOL'ing...

Zach
08-19-2005, 03:52 PM
Well, eh hem,

You can press F5 all day but I tell ya it's a waste of time seeing as the UPS website doesn't take into account any GPS tracking of their trucks. So, you might be thinking it is out on delivery to ya, but in all actuality, the dude/dudette is eatin doughnuts with the cops on the corner of "20 miles from your house" st.

F5, F5, F5... eh hem... F5

Sounds like a waver waiting for NewTek's latest update to show on the download page.

ok, so...

Not getting the best bike (condsidering the mileage I'd be putting on it) would be like making Shrek with Bryce and Poser... You might be able to do it, but it's not the most suitable solution for your production needs.

I'm not going to say anything about the clothes, other than I wouldn't be caught dead in those skin tight pants... eh hem, there is a reason why my car is big eh hem...

As for the scratch, I think there was enough alcohol in her system to counter any infection, as Stephen King said, "God takes care of those who are unbearably stupid, and severely drunk!"

as for the hill thing, it goes up hill both ways, and as we can tell from this post, if there is any more character building between the two of us, the whole forum might explode! :boogiedow

Good luck on the VUE man, me likey it a lotty. :goodluck:

Wish you were here too, Mike! The more laughs the better!! :beerchug:

Verlon
08-19-2005, 06:05 PM
F5 for 8.5
UPS for Vue
F5 for Worley and a plugin update so the dongle is seen in Win x64
Play a little guitar

Not a bad way to spend a Friday, all things considered.

T-Light
08-20-2005, 01:59 AM
3$ per gallon, sheesh, I seem to remember a time not that long ago when it was less than a dollar.

Nother few months you might catch up to us in the UK, a mere snip at 7 to 8$ per gallon, and we're cheap compared to Holland, suppose it's why the Dutch have a lot of bikes.

My advice, if you want to get fit, migrate to Holland :D

Verlon
08-20-2005, 09:33 AM
Yeah, but for us gad prices have nearly tripled. For you guys, they went from ~$6.00 to ~$8.00.

Not nearly so dramatic a change.

I think there are a few people who are making big bucks off of Wars and rumors of wars, especially since Exxon just had a record quarter (up by 38 percent over Q2 last year). Chevron would be having record quaters except that they got some extra income from sales and a tax break for nearly a billion dollars in the first half of last year.

Sheesh, just researching that info to make sure my facts were straight makes me want to take my bike to work (20 roughly level miles each way, but 38C heat is murder (about 100F))

Zach
08-20-2005, 09:49 AM
You could get one of those hard hats, Verlon, with the fan at the forehead and and get a thermal cooling suit that rushes cool water through little tubes around your body. Might be worth it for the sensation alone!

Verlon
08-20-2005, 11:08 AM
Good point. I could power it off a generator from the bicycle....and solar cells.

I need to research this....what a monumental geek accomplishment it would be.

Zach
08-20-2005, 11:32 AM
and on top of that, you might be able to market it and make money... instead of saving it or losing it.

gumfx
08-20-2005, 01:55 PM
http://forum.hkgolden.com/faces/kill.gifhttp://forum.hkgolden.com/faces/banghead.gif

http://forum.hkgolden.com/faces/hehe.gifBut, That's me!http://forum.hkgolden.com/faces/bye.gif

just kiddinghttp://forum.hkgolden.com/faces/sosad.gifhttp://forum.hkgolden.com/faces/369.gif

TheDynamo
08-21-2005, 11:32 AM
that's funny, I posted the above comment... and you're from portland Dyn!

Actually, i have it on order already, but thanx for the splendid offer. You could probably get a good trade in over at Powell's Technical. It's a fairly new book, and i don't think they have a lot of them.

Where are you based out of in Portland? Freelance?

I'm working as a full time motion designer at Respond2 as well as learning Lightwave at home and moonlighting my MAD! :rolleyes: After Effects Skillz ;)

I used to run Softimage at an old job but that was years ago so unlike bicycling.... one does get rusty :)

-Dyn

Zach
08-21-2005, 01:39 PM
Oh, Kewl.... not sure what a motion designer is ( is that like flash and after effects work? )... unless you mean the plugin in LW.

I was over at Animation Dynamics (now ADi) for a while, but now i'm in Incline transitioning to somewhere, who knows, maybe even back to Portland. Portland is definitely one of my favorite places i've been to on this earth.

There's an HD compositing production going on over there. I know they're looking for roto and keyers who work in AFX. They're based off a mac workflow using final cut, but it seems that they don't care what kind of hardware you use. The footage is 1080p (firckin' ginormous!). If you're interested in moonlighting there, it should be a pretty intense September.

TheDynamo
08-22-2005, 02:32 PM
Motion Designer is a fancy term for "Trained AE Monkey" in my case. :D

September eh? I would have some 'splainin to do to my future wife if I missed out on the joys of planning and executing our wedding & reception at the beginning of the month. I wonder if the dog would share the couch with me. I sometimes have the craving to do roto work. It's a sick craving I know but the end result can be worth it.

-Dyn

Zach
08-23-2005, 12:15 AM
how much of sept are you going to need away with the mrs?

TheDynamo
08-23-2005, 01:26 PM
Pretty much the first half of the month unfortunately. Wedding is on Labor Day weekend and the reception is a full week afterward... and then there is the cleanup :P I haven't had time to work on anything but my job and freelance... LW has to wait. Ahh well it's for the rest of my life... it can't be all that bad ;)

-Dyn

Zach
08-23-2005, 02:35 PM
Congrats on the marriage! Hope it all goes well!