PDA

View Full Version : Reflecting a light source

pilkiwilky
08-18-2005, 04:08 PM
I am trying to match some live footage of this ladder shot in a studio. On the footage I have I can see very sharp lines in the ladders reflections where the lights are hitting the ladder.

Attached is the image I have rendered and it's close, but I want to see more of the light source reflecting in the metal - any suggestions? I am using a basic 3 point lighting setup with 3 area lights and a 4th in the same place as the key that is only effecting specular values as area lights do not give much specular highlights.

Please help - thanks

toby
08-18-2005, 04:23 PM
You could either scale the area light down, so the spec isn't spread out as much, increase the gloss on the meatal, or swap the area light with a distant light.

Lightwolf
08-18-2005, 04:26 PM
You could also try painting a reflection map to get those highlights.

I find that decent reflection maps can be crucial to a decent studio lighting set up. Or have a look at the A5 Scene from Meni included with LW on how to place light strips that don't actually light the scene, but get reflected in objects.

Cheers,
Mike

toby
08-18-2005, 04:44 PM
HDR images make awesome reflection maps too.

pilkiwilky
08-18-2005, 05:05 PM
Yeah, where can I get my hands on HDR image maps? Is there a site I can download them free?

Thanks for your commenta

toby
08-18-2005, 09:40 PM
You should be able to find some in the LW Content directory, under Images/HDR. Also try a Google image search - they're usually free