PDA

View Full Version : IKbooster very slowwwwwww

EPYON
08-18-2005, 12:44 PM
Hi all
i have problem can any one here help me with it, i'm working with IKbooster and it's very slowwww when i move the bones?! is it my PC or LW....?
My PC is:
P4 2.6 Ghz
1 Gb ram
Geforce 4 Ti 4600...i upgrade it to 3DLabs WildCat Realizm 200 and it's the same problem

do i have to upgrade my cpu to AMD Opteron 252 or Xeon 3.6GHz to fix the problem?

HELP plz :help:

Surrealist.
08-18-2005, 01:00 PM
It's kind of a relative issue. It depends on how dense you mesh is. A high poly object is going to be slower in layout than a low poly one.

You can put together a proxy object that is lower in poly count for animating and then swap the high poly one for render.

Upgrading to a faster CPU and more ram would help. Fastest CPU set up you can get and at least 3 gigs RAM so that you have a good 2 gigs left over for the app after the OS uses some. ( more ram will come in use later as you know with 64 bit) The CPU speed is going to be key here with RAM comming in at a close second - only depending on the size of your object/scene.

My layout speed increased very much in relation to my CPU speed.

I am always in favor of a better graphics card as you need it for more than just layout speed, you also need it to play back ainimation/video. But that is going to change in LW9 with hardware implimentation so a good investment.

Also there are some things in LW that already do use the graphics hardware, but not like it will be.

SplineGod
08-21-2005, 01:18 AM
I dont have problems with it slowing down.
As Surrealist said its usually the mesh size. LW bones are deformers and having to calculate bone influence with dense meshes can slow it down.
Try turning the subpatch level down and see if that doesnt help.

Sande
08-21-2005, 02:21 AM
It's not always about the polygon count, seems like solving the IK just needs a whole lot of calculations.

I recently did a short character animation where there were 5 characters rigged with IK in a scene and it was really slow and sluggish...

In my case it was not about polygon count, since it was all lowpoly and there were only 6000 triangles in the whole scene (5000 from the characters), and there were only 15 bones/character. IK-chains were cut properly (unaffected by descendants) and so on.

Layout was running about 5-10fps on an [email protected]+.

Dodgy
08-21-2005, 05:14 AM
Try closing the graph editor when working with IKB, I've found that that can sometimes adversely affect it's performance. Try opening it again afterwards and it might function at full speed again.

Carm3D
08-22-2005, 05:02 AM
Tip: If you are going to do proxy object-swapping, be sure your low-rez object has the same morph maps as the hi-rez version, otherwise, any animation data you made to these morph channels will be removed upon swapping (and therefore lost for ever).