PDA

View Full Version : 8.5 available soon

Pages : [1] 2

mkiii
08-18-2005, 08:50 AM
Well nearly :)

Look at the dloads page http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/downloads/index.php

The link is there, but it isn't working just yet.

Wade
08-18-2005, 08:56 AM
today? :alien: :phone_cal

mkiii
08-18-2005, 09:00 AM
I'm not seeing things am I? That 8.5 link wasn't there earlier was it?

It's a bit silly putting the link up before the actual download is in place tho'.

Just generating work for themselves when dozens of over excited users phone them up asking why the link is broken. :screwy:

Mebek
08-18-2005, 09:02 AM
I'm not seeing things am I? That 8.5 link wasn't there earlier was it?

Well according to the downloads page, it's been there since April :stumped:

archimage3d
08-18-2005, 09:06 AM
Nothing over here yet....(no link on the european site)

Its nearly home time over here in europe......so I guess we won't be seeing it til tomorrow.

:( :( :(

benhaines
08-18-2005, 09:40 AM
It hasn't always been there, because it was only a few days ago that I visited the page and wrote the following entry in the PSC blog:

http://www.presetcentral.com/?p=29

Must have been added recently...

T-Light
08-18-2005, 09:41 AM
OH my God :D

10:40am in Texas, plenty of time yet, maybe they'll consider overtime at Newtek Europe.

Ben where are you? :thumbsup:

T-Light
08-18-2005, 09:45 AM
BenHaines-

It hasn't always been there, because it was only a few days ago that I visited the page and wrote the following entry in the PSC blog:

It certainly wasn't, :agree:
I was there in the wee hours of this morning and no mention of 8.5.

riki
08-18-2005, 09:50 AM
Page last modified Fri, 19 Aug 2005

gjjackson
08-18-2005, 09:52 AM
I bet someone hacked in to it and changed it, just to get everybody to hit F5.

Intuition
08-18-2005, 09:58 AM
Aw, Buzzkill!

Jeez...you gave me a jolt there for a second.

T-Light
08-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Riki-

Page last modified Fri, 19 Aug 2005
Wow, they posted it tomorrow :D

trick
08-18-2005, 10:06 AM
Well nearly :)

:twak: :bangwall: :cursin:

T-Light
08-18-2005, 10:07 AM
Couldn't see where you got the date from there Riki, however if the date was from a server and the server date/time was correct then that page must have been updated from the far east. Are Newtek servers based in the far east?

EDIT: Nope, the servers are in Bedford, Texas, 19th of August isn't the server time.

Brian Arndt
08-18-2005, 10:12 AM
It wasnt supposed to be there. the page got accidentally uploaded. Sorry for that 8/ i beg forgiveness
dont know how it got up but it shouldnt have been yet. But it is coming so dont worry :)

Limbus
08-18-2005, 10:14 AM
It wasnt supposed to be there. the page got accidentally uploaded. Sorry for that 8/ i beg forgiveness
dont know how it got up but it shouldnt have been yet. But it is coming so dont worry :)

I bet you guys did get a good laugh out of it. :D

mkiii
08-18-2005, 10:14 AM
And Lo the link was no longer there!

Obviously some webhead has just had a good slapping & been made to remove it.

[edit] D'Oh! I'm just too slow to keep up with events.

T-Light
08-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Brian Arndt-

dont know how it got up but it shouldnt have been yet. But it is coming so dont worry

Is it coming on the 19th then? :D

operation
08-18-2005, 10:21 AM
As always :

An annoucement .... and a delayed update :foreheads
I am joking .... :lol:

Anyway:

nothing new expected in this version (bug fixes are welcome of course), just an update to wait until 1Q/2006.
Hope we will get an 8.7 or 8.8 update until december.

I will wait Newtek to personal message me when the link will be active.

Cheers !
Operation.

Wade
08-18-2005, 11:13 AM

Meanwhile back in Gotham city - city workers work to clean up the mess, bandage the wounded, and fix the damage left as the crowds pushed shoved and stampeded to the link! – hey now lives could be lost with this kind of irresponsible accidental linking. Not to mention the few whos hearts just gave out while sitting quietly clicking clicking clicking click cl c

Your toying with us I just know it. :D

gjjackson
08-18-2005, 11:45 AM
They just wanted to do a test to see how many users at one time would try and go to the download section.

colkai
08-18-2005, 01:39 PM
nothing new expected in this version (bug fixes are welcome of course)

Nope - ya wrong dontcha know ;)
The OGL enhancements are going to be in the LW8.5 release according to all the 'blurb' i've read so far. :D

Signal to Noise
08-18-2005, 01:50 PM
As long as this false hope doesn't cause a stampede like that $50 iBook sale (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8973616/) did then we're okay. :thumbsup:

Wade
08-18-2005, 02:01 PM
Humans are pretty much monkeys with car keys.

made me chuckle. :thumbsup:

hrgiger
08-18-2005, 02:15 PM
Humans are pretty much monkeys with car keys.

made me chuckle. :thumbsup:

You've just insulted monkeys everywhere.

jorbedo
08-18-2005, 06:19 PM
You will never learn guys, jeje.

Keep waiting guys, I almost forgot, start saving money for LW9, you will get it by the 4th quarter (of 2006). It's the same history with NT.

For me I will wait for Lightwave 10, if NewTek don't close his doors by 2007. They are loosing market every day against all other really cool apps out there.
And they will loose a lot more with all their beautifull press-releases trying to show their inability to keep pace with the industry, they lost their magic touch a long time ago, they don't amaze me as before.

My 3D kit consist of LW7.5 (Only for modelling some things), Zbrush (Really Cool), Modo (That is real modelling with subD's), Maya (Cheap and industry based).

I only hope that tis post live long enough, they silence their users every time that they want to release the frustration generated after every siggraph.

DragonFist
08-18-2005, 07:13 PM
:ohmy: Someone needs to switch to decaf. :grumpy:

joeldberry
08-18-2005, 07:18 PM
....Maya (Cheap....)

Oh, that one had me rolling on the floor for hours! Maya... Cheap... HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! That's a good one!!!! I love it!!!!

Wickster
08-18-2005, 08:32 PM
Well on another note.

There seems to be race between Lightwave 8.5 and the Sony PSP Firmware2.0 upgrade (been waiting for both for awhile now). Maybe Newtek and Sony are collaborating on having a Lightwave Portable on the PSP. :D

inquisitive
08-18-2005, 09:39 PM
heh since LW 8.5 is not out yet.. i wish someone would change the title of this thread ;)

colkai
08-19-2005, 02:43 AM

Keep waiting guys, I almost forgot, start saving money for LW9, you will get it by the 4th quarter (of 2006). It's the same history with NT.

For me I will wait for Lightwave 10, if NewTek don't close his doors by 2007.
..and once more - we have the voice of authority and reason. :stumped: :censored: :2guns:

mav3rick
08-19-2005, 02:44 AM
personally i hope 8.5 is last update any more update will make 9 delayed and i dont want that happen.... want fully workin 9 at xmass

Radamanthys
08-19-2005, 06:51 AM
Breaking news

2005 august 19th

3drealms (http://www.3drealms.com/games.html) announce they have aquired Newtek, their plan for Newtek's software is to speed up the releases as they do for their games

--> [ ]

TheDevil
08-19-2005, 07:20 AM
Keep waiting guys, I almost forgot, start saving money for LW9, you will get it by the 4th quarter (of 2006). It's the same history with NT....

For me I will wait for Lightwave 10, if NewTek don't close his doors by 2007. They are loosing market every day against all other really cool apps out there.
And they will loose a lot more with all their beautifull press-releases trying to show their inability to keep pace with the industry, they lost their magic touch a long time ago, they don't amaze me as before.

I only hope that tis post live long enough, they silence their users every time that they want to release the frustration generated after every siggraph... .

LOL LOL LOLLY LOL LOL!!!!! All your posts are the same. Most are all as useful, insightful and intelligently well thought out as most of mine (which means not so useful, insightful or intelligent). Hey, but I suppose writing stuff anon to wind people says something about something. Lets hope both of us (trolls) get banned and save space for the intelligent humans around here.

LONG LIVE LIGHTWAVE!!! DESEE VIVO LIGHTWAVE!!!

Ayez un jour très beau !

http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm

mattclary
08-19-2005, 07:20 AM
Breaking news

2005 august 19th

3drealms (http://www.3drealms.com/games.html) announce they have aquired Newtek, their plan for Newtek's software is to speed up the releases as they do for their games

--> [ ]

That's just SOOOOOO far off base it's silly. It's only been, what, a year since 8 came out? There is a slight delay when the 5th patch in less than a year is not immediately forthcoming? While the next whole number release is imminent? :screwy:

mattclary
08-19-2005, 07:23 AM

My 3D kit consist of LW7.5 (Only for modelling some things), Zbrush (Really Cool), Modo (That is real modelling with subD's), Maya (Cheap and industry based).

I only hope that tis post live long enough, they silence their users every time that they want to release the frustration generated after every siggraph.

Hey Brad, how's it hangin'? Long time no see! I heard y'all will finally be able to render something in Modo near the end of this year! That's awesome! :thumbsup: How's the animation code coming? Any ETA?

madjester
08-19-2005, 07:52 AM
Good lord people 8.3 came out not that long ago and I dunno about you but it works pretty darn well. I think we should all take a breath and calm down.

Radamanthys
08-19-2005, 08:07 AM
That's just SOOOOOO far off base it's silly. It's only been, what, a year since 8 came out? There is a slight delay when the 5th patch in less than a year is not immediately forthcoming? While the next whole number release is imminent? :screwy:

that was just a joke man ;) thats why there is the --> [ ] at the end

Radamanthys
08-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Good lord people 8.3 came out not that long ago and I dunno about you but it works pretty darn well. I think we should all take a breath and calm down.

on my PC its fine, but on my mac (dual 2 GHz w/ gf 6800 GT) it crashes alot and OpenGL is soo ****ed slow, I thus put many hopes in 8.5 on the Mac.

mattclary
08-19-2005, 09:04 AM
that was just a joke man ;) thats why there is the --> [ ] at the end

Sorry, can't tell with this crowd. ;)

What does --> [ ] signify? I think I'm missing something. :confused:

Tima
08-19-2005, 09:56 AM
Sorry, can't tell with this crowd. ;)

What does --> [ ] signify? I think I'm missing something. :confused:

he take the door :D

mattclary
08-19-2005, 11:04 AM
he take the door :D

LOL!!! OK, now it's SOOOOOOO much clearer!!!! :bangwall: :confused:

janoverust
08-19-2005, 04:29 PM
--> [8]

:d

jorbedo
08-20-2005, 12:58 AM
I had been an active NT user since Amiga, I sold NT products on my country Toasters, Flyers, LW (A lot of them), I praised them, I just got tired seeing NewTek (lightwave) far behind of his competitors, and giving us more workarounds, broken plug-ins, unstable application, etc, etc, Do I have to say more?.

Silly, I don't think so, still looking how to make more money with my dusty LW package, I still feel something special about my LW, but that doesn't mean that I have to keep my mouth closed!.

MAKE A LOT OF NOISE.

(Some of you guys are like the BestBuy TV ad.)

Soemtimes revolutions starts with a litlle noise.

trygve
08-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Soemtimes revolutions starts with a litlle noise.

Well, not that kind of noise. And I think the revolution is coming anyway :thumbsup:

Intuition
08-24-2005, 12:15 PM
Um....just wondering. Siggraph is getting farther away. Anyone hear anything bout 8.5?

mkiii
08-24-2005, 12:21 PM
Yep.

It will be out soon.

They have already completed the arduous task of making a link for their downloads page, which I tested thoroughly (unpaid of course).

All they have to do now is provide a file to download.

Scott_Blinn
08-24-2005, 02:18 PM
Um....just wondering. Siggraph is getting farther away. Anyone hear anything bout 8.5?

Well, today's LW news letter mentions that it is in "Final Beta", so I hope soon. I REALLY want to play with the new OpenGL view stuff! :-D

gjjackson
08-24-2005, 02:23 PM
We must remember that they're releasing 8.5 Win/Mac and LW64bit. So it'll be a big release. That's a lot of beta-testing.

Earl
08-24-2005, 02:36 PM
I'm sure they're trying their best to make sure the OpenGL displays correctly with no bugs for both Mac and PC. What good would a faster OpenGL implementation be if it were buggy? I'm glad they're testing the heck out of it.

lw3d23
08-24-2005, 02:53 PM
Well, today's LW news letter mentions that it is in "Final Beta" ...

where is that newsletter?

Scott_Blinn
08-24-2005, 02:58 PM
where is that newsletter?

There was a recent post about it here: http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=39939

There is also a link to it from the main LW page: http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/

The direct link is: http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/newsletters/v2-n7/index.html

lw3d23
08-24-2005, 03:37 PM
thanks, scott_blinn.

prospector
08-24-2005, 04:08 PM
Ok, looking to get another seat of LW and saw this;
LightWave [8] upgrade, PDF manual, Vue 5 Infinite, free update to v9: $395
for those upgrading from 7.5 or earlier.

I have the one with the VT...ver 7.5
I have a regular LW with old dongle..ver 8
and I have the one with the flyer...ver 3.2 (about 50 floppies :) )

does this mean I can upgrade the flyer one for 395 and get a USB dongle?
and would I have to give up my flyer?

Brian Arndt
08-24-2005, 04:55 PM
i feel like im at a singapore cane beating here! :twak:

lets all just sit indian-style in a circle and meditate and breathe...
thats it.. your getting sleeeeeeppppy...
..thats right.. .you dont remember ever seeing a link on the site...
....its all in your head... .
..now when i snap my fingers you will remember none of this...
*snap*

We have to beta test everything so we dont release bugs.. im sure youd rather have a bugless version with a longer wait than a bug-ridden version in a day.

kcole
08-24-2005, 05:07 PM
... unless the hold up is just the 64-bit version. :O

hrgiger
08-24-2005, 05:07 PM
The pc version is probably ready to go. They should just release that now. Mac users are used to waiting.

There might be 2 or three people that disagree...

T-Light
08-24-2005, 06:14 PM
hrgigers how to make friends and influence people - :D

The pc version is probably ready to go. They should just release that now. Mac users are used to waiting.

Actually I agree with a staggered release policy, but I don't think Newtek do, and to make matters worse they announced that LW64 would be part of the 8.5 release. OK, they also announced that was released on the 1st of August but whose counting.

I'm a little concerned about two things regarding the 8.5 combined release

1) There's been talk over the 64bit dongle drivers not working, would hate to think we're waiting for those.

2) There's also been talk over the Mac's OpenGL not working, Apple's fault, not Newtek's, for goodness sake don't let us be waiting on Apple. :(

Intuition
08-24-2005, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the update Brian.

I'm the most patient person I know. I'm not trying to rush anything. Just remembering the release mentioned as "shortly after Sig05" so naturally I was wondering.

I can wait and would rather have a bug free version or a more bug free version then a rushed release.

Sorry bout the excitement. ;)

:jester:

Karmacop
08-25-2005, 01:19 AM

This was almost the perfect joke. You just had to change the last line to "The 2 or three mac people may disagree" :P

As far as I know all mac and windows code is the same except foe the system code, so if there's a bug on mac it'll be on windows too 95% of the time.

T-Light, the dongle problems I've heard are with there being no parallel port dongle drivers, and i don't think there ever will be, so I'm sure we're not waiting for that.

The open gl issues on the mac are with OSX not supporting open gl 2, and we'd be waiting for months if we waited for that :p

Also, they didn't announce the release of 64 bit Lightwave on the first of August, they announced the release of it with 8.5, which hasn't been released yet.

I know we all want 8.5, But don't beat up on the mac guys about it. Just so you know, I only have a PC.

T-Light
08-25-2005, 03:30 AM
Karmacop-

Also, they didn't announce the release of 64 bit Lightwave on the first of August, they announced the release of it with 8.5, which hasn't been released yet.
I know, it was cleverly conceiled behind the link

NewTek Releases LightWave® 64
http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/index.html
Which linked to another ever so subtle subterfuge, excuse me, I mean 'block title' stating...

NewTek Releases LightWave® 64
Even if you read the first paragraph it isn't clear that it hadn't been released, only that its release was also part of something else. In fact the only reason we know it wasn't released is that we don't have it, otherwise the whole press release would have made perfect sense.

Now I'm not saying Newtek's been naughty here, it's just that if I picked up a newspaper because of the headline
US President escapes Vice Chiefs by swimming the Potomac in wife's underware I'd be pretty miffed to turn the page and find two lines down...
In Spielbergs latest whacky comedy.

Anyway, probably brought up the above too many times over the last few weeks so that's the last I'll mention it. :)

Karmacop
08-25-2005, 05:14 AM
Ahh ok, good points. I haven't read any of your other posts about this from memory :)

Also, that's a great idea to sell newspapers :D

hrgiger
08-25-2005, 08:46 AM
This was almost the perfect joke. You just had to change the last line to "The 2 or three mac people may disagree" :P

Well, at least you know it was a joke. So you weren't my target audience. Just the 'panties in a twist' bunch.

And I didn't feel I needed to add that the 2 or 3 people that would disagree would be mac people. I thought that was just a given.

Cman
08-25-2005, 09:17 AM
Still nothing, eh?

colkai
08-25-2005, 01:40 PM
..tumbleweed.... :p
Seriously though, they've still got a month before they are even close to running out of deadline so I'm cool - still lots to do anyhoo. :)

Radamanthys
08-29-2005, 11:41 AM
so its there now ? :D :D :D

no, still not ;D

WindowLicker
08-29-2005, 11:56 AM
....and still.....not. :stumped:

Radamanthys
08-29-2005, 02:11 PM
http://www.newtek.com/shows/siggraph/2005/images/strippics/andybishop.jpg

http://www.newtek.com/shows/siggraph/2005/2005.php

... Lightwave 9 comes out in october-november, and Lightwave 8.5 just after the show ... (4:15)

... and of course lgihtwave 8.5 that is out jsut after the show ... (18:20)

... lightwave 8.5 that is out right now (18:35) ...

show is finished ! :compbeati

Lottmedia
08-29-2005, 02:22 PM
We've all been through this before, whatever NewTek says, add a few weeks (months...?) to it. Remember 8.0? 8.2? Any release? We can still love NewTek even though they're temporally challanged :)

J-Rod

DragonFist
08-29-2005, 04:19 PM

http://www.newtek.com/shows/siggraph/2005/2005.php

... Lightwave 9 comes out in october-november, and Lightwave 8.5 just after the show ... (4:15)

... and of course lgihtwave 8.5 that is out jsut after the show ... (18:20)

... lightwave 8.5 that is out right now (18:35) ...

Was exactly my point, I don't mind that it is taking a little time. I just found it insulting when some acted like we had no reason to expect it just after the show.

T-Light
08-29-2005, 11:04 PM
Two working days left then we're firmly into the last third of the third quarter.

If thirty days passes beyond this point then the 'tick tick tick' of the LW8.5 release will tresspass into the 'TICKETY TICKETY TICKETY' of LW9...

Fun Fun Fun. :D

Panikos
08-29-2005, 11:22 PM

"Show must go on..." Queen

Cman
08-30-2005, 07:25 AM
Two working days left then we're firmly into the last third of the third quarter.

If thirty days passes beyond this point then the 'tick tick tick' of the LW8.5 release will tresspass into the 'TICKETY TICKETY TICKETY' of LW9...

Fun Fun Fun. :D

Totally agree.
At this point they might as well just roll 8.5 into the 9 release.

I'd rather they spent the time to make v9 AWESOME, than split teams and release a decent v8.5 and so-so v9.

Signal to Noise
08-30-2005, 07:49 AM
I also agree that it would be wise that 8.5 gets rolled into [9].

More often than not, an upgrade will cause glitches to occur in a previous patch that may have already been working fine. NewTek should just ensure everything works fine in each update then combine the two, again making sure everything is good, and then unleash it on the public.

Meaty
08-30-2005, 08:00 AM
Hmmm, I wouldn't advise that. They have already said publically that 8.5 would be a free upgrade to LW 8 users, but LW 9 is a paid upgrade. If they take away 8.5, they are essentially saying to those who aren't or can't upgrade to 9 right away that, "Well, I know we said you would be getting 8.5 free, but we decided to scrap that. Sorry!"

Not that I care too much, I already have my upgrade paid for. I just think it would be a bit of a slap in the face to those who are not making the upgrade to LW9 and were already told that 8.5 would be a free upgrade for them.

Cman
08-30-2005, 08:12 AM
Oh right, I forgot 8.5 is a free upgrade.

Oh well...

connerh
08-30-2005, 09:17 AM
Considering that 9 is a paid upgrade, I'd rather they focus on making that one rock solid, and once released, they could go back and work out the bugs in the 8.5 release.

T-Light
08-30-2005, 11:48 AM
Come on lads, LW9 before 8.5 :p

There's no chance Newtek's going to release 9 before 8.5, Only said what I said above because of the fun and frolicks leading up to the release of 8. Basically, If 8.5 doesn't come out before the end of September these forums are going to be mayhem. :D

Signal to Noise
08-30-2005, 01:07 PM
Yeah, but for those who took advantage of the Vue 5 upgrade bundle offer, the [9] update can be considered "free" ;)

Good point tho', Meaty. :)

Radamanthys
08-31-2005, 09:56 AM
mail from Newtek Europe

LightWave v8.5 Release Announcement

NewTek is pleased to announce the upcoming release of version 8.5, the fifth free update for LightWave [8]. This new update will include the following enhancements:

New OpenGL Hardware shader option using the hardware renderer in OpenGL video cards to display many of the render functions in real-time. Lights, light falloffs, blending images on surfaces, per-pixel lighting will all be available in real-time, with an option to turn this feature on and off.
New Parts-to-Surfaces tool allows for easier integration of 3D objects created in other applications.
New Multi Shift allows the user to do multiple shifts in a single edit with a history profile that can be saved and applied to other meshes.
Dynamics now launch a control window that allows you to switch to other applications while calculating dynamics in LightWave.
Particle dynamics have been improved for accuracy, including interaction with collision planes. A new algorithm also allows large dynamic scenes to load up to 10x faster.
104 new configurable keyboard shortcut options.

LightWave v8.5 will be available as a free download for registered owners of LightWave [8] before the end of September 2005

gatibee
08-31-2005, 10:51 AM
LightWave v8.5 will be available as a free download for registered owners of LightWave [8] before the end of September 2005.

So I think three more weeks to wait.

mail from Newtek Europe

LightWave v8.5 Release Announcement

NewTek is pleased to announce the upcoming release of version 8.5, the fifth free update for LightWave [8]. This new update will include the following enhancements:

New OpenGL Hardware shader option using the hardware renderer in OpenGL video cards to display many of the render functions in real-time. Lights, light falloffs, blending images on surfaces, per-pixel lighting will all be available in real-time, with an option to turn this feature on and off.
New Parts-to-Surfaces tool allows for easier integration of 3D objects created in other applications.
New Multi Shift allows the user to do multiple shifts in a single edit with a history profile that can be saved and applied to other meshes.
Dynamics now launch a control window that allows you to switch to other applications while calculating dynamics in LightWave.
Particle dynamics have been improved for accuracy, including interaction with collision planes. A new algorithm also allows large dynamic scenes to load up to 10x faster.
104 new configurable keyboard shortcut options.

LightWave v8.5 will be available as a free download for registered owners of LightWave [8] before the end of September 2005

Wickster
08-31-2005, 12:59 PM
So September 30th at 11:59AM then? I'm cool with that...kidding! :D

I could always annoy and irritate my co-workers during the day and Newtek forum dwellers at night, to keep me occupied until 8.5's release :) . Besides I need to make sure I upgrade my graphics card (Radeon 9000) since I don't think it supports Open GL 2.

Stable and late is always better than early and buggy.

Radamanthys
08-31-2005, 02:38 PM
Stable and late is always better than early and buggy.

and early and stable is even better than late and buggy :D :D

lw3d23
08-31-2005, 03:01 PM
I wonder that NT could release V9 in october/ november, or the last month of Q4.

robewil
08-31-2005, 03:28 PM
Judging from past experiences with software upgrades from any company including Newtek, I'd bet real money we won't see Lightwave 9 until 2006.

Lottmedia
08-31-2005, 06:07 PM
ditto

J-Rod

Tiger
08-31-2005, 07:17 PM
What do you need to run the 64 version?

DogBoy
09-01-2005, 01:44 AM
64bit Intel or AMD CPU
64bit Windows
USB Dongle
OGL2 Vid card

.......16-32GB RAM :D

BeeVee
09-01-2005, 02:13 AM
:) hehehe, the last two aren't really and truly necessary, but boy howdy, do they make things nicer... :)

B

DogBoy
09-01-2005, 04:58 AM
It'd sure make it run smooth as buerre (sp?). Your right, I'd been reading the [9] thread, and forgot that you don't actually need an OGL2 card, but would WANT one instead.

But add a card with GOOD XP64 drivers (NV or ATI, prolly), I'd guess. I can't wait to try it :D

:dance: wanna play SOON! :dance:

BeeVee
09-01-2005, 05:03 AM
Talking of machines, this is the one I'd like to have... :)
http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=33905&afterinter=true

B

DogBoy
09-01-2005, 10:46 AM
Ben,
Newtek pay too much if this is what you're getting next ;). Dang maybe if I sell my kidneys AND liver, I could buy that thing.

"Get thee behind me, Vost!" your :devil:

Kurtis
09-01-2005, 10:47 AM
I think the operative words in Ben's post were "like to have". :D

Brianthreedee
09-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Beevee;

HOLY CRAP! Can I put that system on my christmass list?
I'll have to be good for several years for that item!

:(

fyrissian
09-01-2005, 01:00 PM
Great! Just in time for the release of Serenity! Choices, choices... rush out to see Serenity, or download LW 8.5?

I'm thinking movie first...

BeeVee
09-01-2005, 02:01 PM
To Brian: you certainly could put in on your Christmas list, but I think you might have to be for several decades before you'd havce paid off the purchase price... ;)

To Dogboy: Heck, I'd like to have a laptop that could do some of the funky stuff in upcoming releases, let alone a monster like this! :)

B

DogBoy
09-02-2005, 02:13 AM
Dang, BeeVee! I'll have to call off the banditos I was sending over to la belle France! I guess I'll just have WORK for my one :D

EmperorPete
09-05-2005, 06:19 AM
Great! Just in time for the release of Serenity! Choices, choices... rush out to see Serenity, or download LW 8.5?

I'm thinking movie first...
Set it downloading, then go out and see Serenity. That's what I'd do. ;)

Original1
09-05-2005, 07:46 AM
If you can't afford the system you can always buy the board

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8qw.html :devil:

Hey BeeVee I am think of buying one of these to run my toaster and Lightwave so you will need one in tech support :D

Intuition
09-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Honestly, I really just wish 64bit would get here already.

Its been on the rise for quite some time. I hope everyone switches over in the next year or so.

This thread is about 8.5 and I really would like to have it but, a big but, I would rather have 64bit lightwave asap. Hopefully Worley and co. have a 64bit F-Prime in the works too. Cause using LW without F-Prime makes me a dull boy.

I'd also like one of those 4 processor motherboards for the 64bit system as well. Although, XXbox guys are jumping the gun a bit. Intel has a little doozey in the works which will be alot better suited for this setup.

muah hahaha :hijack:

But never the less....8.5 will tide me till then.....heck 8.3 is tiding me already. :D :lwicon:

Panikos
09-07-2005, 05:43 AM
Waiting ... waiting ... waiting ...
:newtek: :bday:

CB_3D
09-07-2005, 08:51 AM
Are displacements handled better in 8.5? Not just along Normals, but true UV displacement?

Intuition
09-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Good question CB.

I'm not sure about it either.

Time to bang the forks and knives against the table while chanting 8.5!

8.5....8.5....8.5....!

Heheh. J/k NT. We are excited :thumbsup: .

Radamanthys
09-07-2005, 01:33 PM
sill 23 days before 30 september ... at midnight :D

digital verve
09-07-2005, 01:51 PM
I really hope 8.5 will be here tomorrow :D Those high poly converted cad models I'm working on could do with the new opengl. Rotating takes a long time. :bangwall:

In theory LW9 could be released next month. :devil:

gjjackson
09-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Don't forget this release is inlcuding the 64bit. So whatever bugs are found have to be addressed in the 8.5 PC/Mac version and the 64bit version. That's quite an undertaking to release so much at once.

DragonFist
09-07-2005, 01:57 PM
sill 23 days before 30 september ... at midnight :D :cry:

digital verve I really hope 8.5 will be here tomorrow Those high poly converted cad models I'm working on could do with the new opengl. Rotating takes a long time.

In theory LW9 could be released next month. :heart:

Radamanthys
09-08-2005, 04:19 AM
I really hope 8.5 will be here tomorrow :D Those high poly converted cad models I'm working on could do with the new opengl. Rotating takes a long time. :bangwall:

In theory LW9 could be released next month. :devil:

but in practice i bid on new year's eve :lol:

pauland
09-08-2005, 04:45 AM
but in practice i bid on new year's eve :lol:

Quite a few of us thought the same for LW8, but it didn't quite work out that way.. LOL!

I'm inclined to agree this time round, but who knows..

Riplakish
09-08-2005, 09:58 AM
Quite a few of us thought the same for LW8, but it didn't quite work out that way.. LOL!

I'm inclined to agree this time round, but who knows..

My guess is that they're holding both releases until everyone stops bugging them. :devil:

Signal to Noise
09-08-2005, 12:03 PM
My guess is that they're holding both releases until everyone stops bugging them. :devil:

Or until everyone stops debugging them. :thumbsup:

We want error free updates, right?

hrgiger
09-08-2005, 01:59 PM
Hooray, 8.5 is here!!!

Is it too late for April fools?

TSpyrison
09-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Hooray, 8.5 is here!!!

Is it too late for April fools?

Darn you!!! :twak:

papou
09-08-2005, 02:47 PM
fool
:2guns:

Zach
09-08-2005, 03:11 PM
um, did newtek forget to put 8.5 in the box and online for download or something?
I remember buying LW 8.5 and VUE, not 8.3 and VUE.

anyway, i don't think i'll be sad if 9 comes out before 8.5. 8.3 works fine for now... i guess...

Wickster
09-08-2005, 04:42 PM
Or until everyone stops debugging them. :thumbsup:
I'm actually surprised as people are more restrained this time around. I remember when 8.0 was delayed, there would be a new thread everyother day it was delayed. People were ticked off everywhere and anyone who unfortunate enough to mention the words where, 8.0 or delay in a sentence would get their digital @$$ whooped.

Either people are really patient, playing with Vue, have retraining order from NT or on a silent barrage protest. :D

Zach
09-08-2005, 05:03 PM
yah, but that was because it was something like 8 months or so before they delivered 8. It has only been a month. Give it time.

I do feel like they shouldn't advertise 8.5 when they are only going to give 8.3. I think that might be a little bit of false advertising, but i haven't re-read the offer to make sure they were promising 8.5 and not a pre-order upgrade to 8.5. Might be a little different.

Anyway, Free Willy 3 is on and it is time to change the channel.

colkai
09-09-2005, 02:29 AM
I'm actually surprised as people are more restrained this time around. I remember when 8.0 was delayed, there would be a new thread everyother day it was delayed.
Yeah, so far, so smooth.
I think it helps that certain "alive plugins" have moved on so folks are more understanding of the nature of software release dates. Also, I think given what we've seen of how the new development structure works, many of us are keen to give the new team the space they need. :thumbsup:

Of course, whether this holds up after the end of September is another matter. :jester:

colkai
09-09-2005, 02:32 AM
yah, but that was because it was something like 8 months or so before they delivered 8. It has only been a month. Give it time.

I do feel like they shouldn't advertise 8.5 when they are only going to give 8.3. I think that might be a little bit of false advertising, but i haven't re-read the offer to make sure they were promising 8.5 and not a pre-order upgrade to 8.5. Might be a little different.

Nope - you're mis-reading I think. If you're getting a pre-order now, it will be for LW9, you'll automatically get LW8.5 when it is available so it isn't false advertising per se. Just that, more than likely, you'd want to jump directly to LW9 from LW8.3, making LW8.5 pretty redundant for you, assuming of course LW8.5 and LW9 are released at the same time.
If LW8.5 is released first, then you'd no doubt be using LW8.5 whilst waiting for the LW9 release so again, not false at all, just a little wierd to wrap your head around initially. :)

Chuck
09-09-2005, 09:07 AM
um, did newtek forget to put 8.5 in the box and online for download or something?
I remember buying LW 8.5 and VUE, not 8.3 and VUE.

anyway, i don't think i'll be sad if 9 comes out before 8.5. 8.3 works fine for now... i guess...

We have announced 8.5 as forthcoming, not as currently available. We've tried to do our best in the preliminary information that we've been providing customers to insure that they will understand it is not yet shipping. Our apologies if in providing this advance news regarding forthcoming product, we've missed the mark and have confused anyone.

Our products offered for sale on our web site and as listed in our press release "Pricing and Availability" sections refer to "LightWave [8] and Vue 5 Infinite", and do not mention the specific revision such as 8.3, etc., so in fact no one has bought "8.5 and Vue" since that's not how the product is listed on any of our sales materials. Since 8.3 is the current version in release and 8.5 is still forthcoming, the shipping product CD contains the 8.3 version. It sounds as though in remembering our communications you've mixed the press release announcement with the actual sales info; again our apologies, but if you review the specific sales materials you'll find it simply isn't the case that we're listing 8.5 as currently for sale.

To give you an update on things, 8.5 will release before 9.0; for now we're still expecting that 8.5 will be out before the end of this month and 9.0 will be out sometime during Q4 2005. If anything needs to vary on these we'll try to provide the community a head's up in as timely a fashion as possible.

Zach
09-09-2005, 10:13 AM
Hey Colkai, I was in Lee Vining, on my way to Yosemite this weekend, and there was a falconer flying his bird with his girlfriend. She had some antennae array in her hand... is that normal?

Thanks for the clarification, i wasn't sure. I bought the VUE bundle less than a week before NewTek even announced the 9 upgrade (which i am very excited about!), that page was taken down before i could refer to it.

I'm not sure if i can take full advantage of 8.5 though, i'm running some dated hardware. I have a Quadro 900XGL, but i think that is going to be old hat unfortunately.

I'm just glad to be back in the LW community again. There are a lot of helpful people, and LW is essentially the first app i started using for 3D, so it's hard to break the paradigm i have ingrained in my brain!

Chuck, as usual, you're uncanny ability to smooth the choppy waters stirred up in the NewTek forum is greatly appreciated.

colkai
09-09-2005, 01:24 PM
Hey Colkai, I was in Lee Vining, on my way to Yosemite this weekend, and there was a falconer flying his bird with his girlfriend. She had some antennae array in her hand... is that normal?
:) Yeah, sure is if you don't want you're bird swanning off. It's called Telemetry and helps track your bird should it "straight-line" on you if it gets fixated on quarry.

I'm not sure if i can take full advantage of 8.5 though, i'm running some dated hardware. I have a Quadro 900XGL, but i think that is going to be old hat unfortunately.
How old is that? I personally am running a Geforece FX5200, which I understand is the "level-entry" to use the new OGL features in 8.5, seeing as this only cost me some £35 then I'm guessing getting hold of a suitable card, (if yours is older than mine), won't at least break the bank. ;)

I'm just glad to be back in the LW community again. There are a lot of helpful people, and LW is essentially the first app i started using for 3D, so it's hard to break the paradigm i have ingrained in my brain!

I hear that, Lw just "fits" me, I couldn't get into it at first, but that was me, not LW. These days, I just can't imagine using anything else, just love the feel of it. Plus, the community rocks, I have had help from people I hold in very high regard in the past. Be kinda like getting guitar lessons of Brian May, (I wish! :p )

Kurtis
09-09-2005, 07:47 PM

We will soon list official graphics card requirments for v8.5, but for now, check to see if your graphics card fully supports OpenGL 2.0.

Zach
09-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Those birds are real neat. I always thought they were deformed when i was a kid because my grandma used to watch this show, "Falcon Crest" and they had a falcon with the covers over its eyes in the opening, and I thought it was its actual head. Kids! Always leaping to conclusions!

I got a real deal on the 900XGL about 3 or so years ago. A friend of mine was always getting the test cards from a fellah who would test them and sell them to him. We didn't know what it was, he thought maybe it was a 550, so I paid something like $250 when they were going for $900. I took it home and Windows recognized it as a 900 and I was elated!

I did a preliminary search and it looks like the card is only 1.4 compliant. Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

Signal to Noise
09-10-2005, 09:32 PM
How can I tell if my card supports OpenGL 2.0?

I have a 128MB GeForce 6600GT and just dl'd the latest nVidia drivers which states OpenGL 2.0 compliant. But does this mean the card will be?

I also have a 64MB GeForce4 440 Go card in my laptop that I use for CG work. Can this card support 2.0 or is it too old?

Earl
09-10-2005, 11:38 PM
How can I tell if my card supports OpenGL 2.0?

I have a 128MB GeForce 6600GT and just dl'd the latest nVidia drivers which states OpenGL 2.0 compliant. But does this mean the card will be?

I also have a 64MB GeForce4 440 Go card in my laptop that I use for CG work. Can this card support 2.0 or is it too old?
Your GeForce 6600 will work just fine with the new features of OpenGL in LW 8.5 and 9.0. As far as the GeForce4 goes, from what I gather it will support OpenGL 2.0 as per the driver information (in fact all cards that have driver updates should work with OPL 2.0). But I think it takes more than just the OpenGL 2.0 driver support in order to see all the new effects of 8.5 and beyond. I think it takes Vertex and Pixel shaders, which would require a GeForce FX (5) or later.

At least, that's what I've gathered from the driver information and other sources. I guess we'll have to wait for an offical NewTek video card list before we know for sure.

T-Light
09-12-2005, 01:44 PM
Problem I have is the laptop, it's running a Radeon 9200pro. The ATI numbering system has been a little wonky over the years, the 9700 was released somewhat earlier than the 9600 for instance. I know the 9200 supports pixel/vertex shaders but there not at the level of the 9600 pro I have in the main system.

Anyway, Roll on the info Kurtis :)

Scott_Blinn
09-12-2005, 02:58 PM
Your GeForce 6600 will work just fine with the new features of OpenGL in LW 8.5 and 9.0. As far as the GeForce4 goes, from what I gather it will support OpenGL 2.0 as per the driver information (in fact all cards that have driver updates should work with OPL 2.0). But I think it takes more than just the OpenGL 2.0 driver support in order to see all the new effects of 8.5 and beyond. I think it takes Vertex and Pixel shaders, which would require a GeForce FX (5) or later.

At least, that's what I've gathered from the driver information and other sources. I guess we'll have to wait for an offical NewTek video card list before we know for sure.

Correct. The big issue is actually not if a given card has a fully compliant OpenGL 2.0 driver for it- it is if all of that is supported by the hardware on the video card. On some cards, parts of OpenGL 2.0 may be emulated in software on the CPU instead. When using those features, those cards will slow WAY down. The big ones will be pixel and vertex shader support.

The good news is that most of the newer "gamer" cards will support this stuff no problem. On the other hand, some of the "workstation" class cards will not do so well I don't think. Nvidia's newer quadro cards MAY do ok since they share the same GPUs as their gamer siblings (6x00 and 7x00 series), but I'm no expert there! :-)

Time will tell once NewTek gets us that list...

--SB

Karmacop
09-13-2005, 08:41 AM
As far as I know geforce 4 cards wont support the new 8.5 open gl features, only the geforce fx (essentially the geforce 5) and above. I'm also fairly sure that the 9200 and 9600 wont support the features either, only the 9700 and above will support it. What you need to look for isn't pixel shaders, it's programmable pixel shaders.

JohnMarchant
09-13-2005, 09:37 AM
I have an NVidea Geforce Go 4200 on my Dell Laptop, not OpenGL 2 compliant, but i can upgrade it to a Geforce FX GO 5650 with a little mod, so i will have to look into getting one of these.

But there are many new and improved features that do not rely on the OpenGL compliance issue that im looking forward to.

Regards, John

T-Light
09-13-2005, 01:05 PM
Karmacop-

I'm also fairly sure that the 9200 and 9600 wont support the features either, only the 9700 and above will support it

There's the problem, the 9700 is OLDER than the 9600 and possibly even older than the 9200:eek: . As I mentioned above, ATI keep messing with their numbers. Although I can't confirm it (just googled on release dates) but the 9200 was released in 2003 whereas the 9700 was released way back in 2002. Even that doesn't help as the 9700 is a DX9 card but the more recent 9200 is I believe only a DX8!

Go figure.

ps, Not worried about the 9600pro, that card can handle pretty much anything I've thrown at it with the exception of the very latest shaders for the extreme end of the market.

Kurtis
09-13-2005, 01:45 PM
But there are many new and improved features that do not rely on the OpenGL compliance issue that im looking forward to.

This is correct. Not having an OGL2 compliant card will not prevent you from using LightWave [8] version 8.5. It will only prevent you from taking advantage of the new OpenGL shader support.

WilliamVaughan
09-13-2005, 02:31 PM
for those that might have the same Gcard......I just recently starting using 8.5 on a new system that has the Nvidia Mobile 1400 and the OGL2 features work great on it....

Chris S. (Fez)
09-13-2005, 02:41 PM
Does Modeler in 8.5 support transparency mapping? If so, do we need a Open GL 2 compliant card?

Stooch
09-23-2005, 10:28 AM
7 days left.

StereoMike
09-24-2005, 02:53 AM
oh yesss, I almost forgot: "by the end of the month"...

starbase1
09-26-2005, 06:41 AM
Careful with all those s's Stereo mike! Next thing it will be, "8.5, my precious!"

oh yesss, I almost forgot: "by the end of the month"...

Intuition
09-26-2005, 08:17 AM
BRING IT!

8.5ive.

:lwicon:

Actually I want 9 more then 8.5. Not really sure I will use 8.5 that much different/more then 8.3. But, bring it on!

:D

Newtek is teh Ub3R L337 pwnage.

T-Light
09-26-2005, 11:06 AM
Funny, We had all the demo 8.5 vids with Chuck, Kurtis and Proton answering questions in the Forums, then er, nothing.

Was at least expecting the compatable graphics cards list or the usual 'bug fixes in this release' post by now.

Panikos
09-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Me counts frames in SMPTE :D

mkiii
09-27-2005, 02:36 AM
3 more days.

Fortunately, the XSI V5 demo is available for download, so I can while away the endless hours tinkering with that.

WizCraker
09-27-2005, 02:47 AM
I was told October when I called NewTek for my new Registration # [switch to USB Dongle], they also said December or January for 9.

Promethius
09-27-2005, 01:32 PM
I hope they meant October 1st.

T-Light
09-27-2005, 02:56 PM
Promethius-

I hope they meant October 1st.
Nope, that would be a Saturday. :)

I think the last few times there's been an announcement with improvements + bug fixes etc, followed a few days later by the release. I'd say Wizcracker's bang on with some time in October.

Wade
09-27-2005, 03:16 PM
Funny, We had all the demo 8.5 vids with Chuck, Kurtis and Proton answering questions in the Forums, then er, nothing.

Was at least expecting the compatable graphics cards list or the usual 'bug fixes in this release' post by now.

The Calm before the storm maybe? :2guns:

Stooch
09-27-2005, 03:27 PM
3 days left.

Radamanthys
09-28-2005, 12:53 AM
sounds like it will be posponed ...

maybe they should have announce lightwave 9 at sigraph 2006 :lol:

mav3rick
09-28-2005, 05:54 AM
man
it's so annoyn.............. :thumbsdow

Cman
09-28-2005, 06:47 AM
They could release v8.5 today, or early next week.
Don't lose hope! :thumbsup:

Nemoid
09-28-2005, 06:55 AM
Be quiet and patient. :lwicon:

Qexit
09-28-2005, 06:56 AM
Hm...I wonder which concerns me more the arrival or not of LW8.5 or my mum being in hospital with a cracked rib and a chest infection ... ?

er...what was the name of the software package again ? :stumped:

Stooch
09-28-2005, 11:56 AM
2 days left.

ibanezhead
09-28-2005, 01:25 PM
My guess is Friday...

Tiger
09-28-2005, 01:55 PM
Thursday :thumbsup:

DragonFist
09-28-2005, 02:00 PM
Hm...I wonder which concerns me more the arrival or not of LW8.5 or my mum being in hospital with a cracked rib and a chest infection ... ?

er...what was the name of the software package again ? :stumped:

Sorry to hear about your Mom.

colkai
09-28-2005, 02:05 PM
Likewise Kevin,
My best, as always, to you and yours.

hrgiger
09-28-2005, 02:22 PM
I'd be surprised if it came this week...

Radamanthys
09-29-2005, 02:00 AM
they said release in september ...

...but did they told us what year ? :lol: :lol:

starbase1
09-29-2005, 04:16 AM
Hey guys, see the 'Announcement from Jay Roth' message - they are claiming they are still on track for 3rd Quarter, so it can only be hours off!

:thumbsup:

Qexit
09-29-2005, 04:23 AM
Hey guys, see the 'Announcement from Jay Roth' message - they are claiming they are still on track for 3rd Quarter, so it can only be hours off!

:thumbsup:Link please, I can't find it :thumbsdow

colkai
09-29-2005, 05:09 AM
Here ya go Kevin
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=41153

mkiii
09-29-2005, 05:16 AM
here u are.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=41153

D'Oh!! - Beaten to it, because I spent too long searching for a witty reply. :grumpy:

Qexit
09-29-2005, 05:36 AM
Thanks to Col and mkiii for the link. I think I need a holiday !

:thumbsup:Hm, not quite what it says in the text. They are still projecting a 4th Quarter 2005 release for LW9.0:

from August 1, 2005 until the time we ship LightWave 9.0 (projected 4th quarter 2005)

but the wording for LW8.5 is slightly different:

We are just finishing the final beta testing for LightWave 8.5. In addition to new features ..... and stomp out irritating bugs. We should have LightWave 8.5 ready to roll shortly after you read this. So no reference to Quarter 3 given this time and beta testing is apparently still taking place so I would think in terms of days rather than hours. Fine by me if it means they kill a few extra annoying little bugs in the process :thumbsup:

hrgiger
09-29-2005, 06:54 AM
So no reference to Quarter 3 given this time and beta testing is apparently still taking place so I would think in terms of days rather than hours. Fine by me if it means they kill a few extra annoying little bugs in the process :thumbsup:

Well technically, Jay could have written this message a week ago and they are just posting it now because they are ready for the release.

Of course, they said that 8.5 would be available right after the show (siggraph) so take it with a grain of salt.

Stooch
09-29-2005, 08:06 AM
1 day left.

Exception
09-29-2005, 12:08 PM
Oooohboyoooohboyohboyoooohboy!
*does a little dance*
*wiggly wiggly*
*bounces around the studio*
*doing doing*

I.... *doing* ....... can't...... *wiggle doing wiggle*..... waait any longer!!!

Chuck
09-29-2005, 12:43 PM
so take it with a grain of salt.

Patience is a virtue! :)

mav3rick
09-29-2005, 03:58 PM
is this some kind of dalai lama conspiracy:)

DesignWave57
09-29-2005, 04:09 PM
Timeliness is also a virtue. :lol:

But i'm probably one of the last people that should talk about that... :o

on a more serious note, :lightwave

Chuck
09-29-2005, 04:49 PM
Timeliness is also a virtue. :lol:

Yup. And at this point, you may have a better shot at virtuousness than we do... :bowdown:

Or we have to go for our brownie points based on our patience, while you have your choice of patience or timeliness... ;)

kcole
09-29-2005, 11:32 PM
Yup. And at this point, you may have a better shot at virtuousness than we do... Or we have to go for our brownie points based on our patience, while you have your choice of patience or timeliness...
... erm... what?

****! I need to stop staying up so late. I'm sure this will make much more sense after the morning coffee. :D

T-Light
09-30-2005, 12:01 AM
kcole-

***! I need to stop staying up so late. I'm sure this will make much more sense after the morning coffee.

Nope :D

Radamanthys
09-30-2005, 12:42 AM
so Lightwave 8.5 is out :dance:

Not yet ;D

Tiger
09-30-2005, 12:53 AM
Downloading...

soon :D

mkiii
09-30-2005, 12:53 AM
0 days.

We have...

LIFT-OFF!

walfridson
09-30-2005, 12:57 AM
Couple of hours left dude. By the way, which timezone? :D

Sande
09-30-2005, 01:59 AM
Q3 ends today - Lightwave 8,5? Come on, make my day...

pauland
09-30-2005, 03:54 AM
I think I know what's happening.

As the development team speeds up, their realtive time is slowing in relation to ours, so when they think end of Q3 has arrived for them, it may well be that in relation to our timeline they will be in Q4. They're going so fast they just don't realise..

Of course, Andy Bishop must be working at an incredible pace.. ;-)

Paul

Stooch
09-30-2005, 05:41 AM
16 hours left.

gregsduncan
09-30-2005, 06:11 AM
Right on Time I've got the download link by e-mail :boogiedow and it's downloading now :boogiedow :boogiedow :boogiedow :boogiedow

Just thought I'd share my dream from last night with all you Wavers :D

Riplakish
09-30-2005, 06:23 AM
Right on Time I've got the download link by e-mail :boogiedow and it's downloading now :boogiedow :boogiedow :boogiedow :boogiedow
Just thought I'd share my dream from last night with all you Wavers :D

:twak:

Not funny. Bad dog.

;)

JML
09-30-2005, 06:30 AM
it will be nice to have it this week-end, this way we can play with it at home before installing it at work...

Riplakish
09-30-2005, 07:28 AM
it will be nice to have it this week-end, this way we can play with it at home before installing it at work...

Actually, it would make the most sense to release it late Friday or over the weekend. It would minimize the "the rush" to download it, and give a larger opportunity for critical bugs to be reported (so they can pull it) before _everyone_ has it :beerchug:

gregsduncan
09-30-2005, 07:39 AM
Probably best to wait a few more weeks actually.... that way we'll all appreciate it so much more when it comes :santa:

I'm sure everyone agrees :)

As long as it's here for my birthday..... in May :thumbsup:

Stooch
09-30-2005, 09:44 AM
12 hours left.

pauland
09-30-2005, 09:52 AM
..not for us UK LWers. I think it's not going to happen for us Europeans - at least not today. I think the signs aren't good for anyone.

Paul

nemac4
09-30-2005, 10:02 AM
You guys crack me up! :goodluck:

Reminds me of my kids while on a road trip. :cry: :cursin:

Anyway... is it out yet?

how about now!?
8~

Korvar
09-30-2005, 10:20 AM
I will turn this bulletin board around!

lw3d23
09-30-2005, 10:30 AM
If we cannot get 8.5 today, I wonder that newtek can release lw9 in the 4th Quater , LW9 is much much bigger than 8.5. :oye:

gregsduncan
09-30-2005, 11:26 AM
Not even an 8.4 today! :(

Oh well... we've all waited for updates in the past... it's not so bad..... is it?

Today we may be all :thumbsdow :grumpy: :mad: :cry: , but when it comes we'll soon be :D :thumbsup: :lightwave :bday: :I_Love_Ne

Have a good weekend everyone!

Stooch
09-30-2005, 11:28 AM
You guys crack me up! :goodluck:

Reminds me of my kids while on a road trip. :cry: :cursin:

Anyway... is it out yet?

how about now!?
8~

Umm, if you want to compare this to a trip, then we have been driving for several months now...and i REALLY REALLY need to pee.

StereoMike
09-30-2005, 12:28 PM
me is hungry.

hrgiger
09-30-2005, 12:34 PM
And I want to get off on this exit and see the world's biggest ball of yarn.

byte_fx
09-30-2005, 12:39 PM
Are you guys serious? Did anyone really think Newtek would break a long established tradition of never meeting a promised release date - even after it's been slipped a few times?

Love their products but gave up beleiving any relaese date quesstimates many years ago.

byte_fx

hrgiger
09-30-2005, 12:48 PM
Well, as I already said earlier in this thread, I'd be surprised if it came this week. I'm betting on next week sometime. Besides, there's no flash, boom, or bam by releasing it on Friday when the forums are all but dead. Even if it's done now, I'm guessing they'll wait until an earlier time of the week to unveil.

Lottmedia
09-30-2005, 01:06 PM
It's just not gonna happen......

Stooch
09-30-2005, 02:01 PM
Newtek Latewave 8.5

Chuck
09-30-2005, 02:05 PM
Doesn't look like we'll be able to put it up today, folks. We're still completing the final testing.

Chuck
09-30-2005, 02:26 PM
Just a reminder that the forums are for civil discourse - I just removed a completely uncalled for personal invective, and if there are any further kinds of comments those will be removed as well. We do our best to meet our estimates, but there's a very good reason that they are called estimates - it's a guess and given the R&D nature of this product, it's going to be subject to slippage more often than not. Such slippage is not an excuse for anyone to disparage the character of NewTek or anyone at NewTek.

JML
09-30-2005, 02:26 PM
Doesn't look like we'll be able to put it up today, folks. We're still completing the final testing.

so tomorrow , right ? ;)

Wickster
09-30-2005, 02:29 PM

Thanks Chuck! It's all good, 8.3 is still keeping me busy. I'm in no rush to the latest and greatest...sort of.

But I really do appreciate Newtek telling us that it wouldn't come out today rahter than keep us all hanging. With that said I'll still be here waiting. :D

Chuck
09-30-2005, 02:31 PM
so tomorrow , right ? ;)

:)

Unfortunately, we wouldn't be able to post earlier than next week, if all goes well.

nikturnal
09-30-2005, 02:35 PM
yeah tomorrow :thumbsup:. Well its not that big of a deal, looks like us mac users won't see much of an improvement anyways. Thanks Steve Jobs for giving us a new iPod "Nano". Maybe its a 64bit w/ OGL 2.0. Seriously though, how many versions of the same thing can they come out with? Where are the dual-cores? Chuck take all the time you guys need...just promise not to break anything thats currently working. :D

gregsduncan
09-30-2005, 02:36 PM
Thanks Chuck for keeping us updated - always appreciated.

Do you think when it's ready you'd be able to fly over in that space ship of yours and beam it into my house? That would really be appreciated too! :thumbsup:

Have a good weekend Newtek - and happy testing! :)

digital verve
09-30-2005, 02:59 PM
Nice to know what's happening. I'm still learning a lot of Lightwave stuff this weekend in 8.3, so 8.5 coming in the next week is fine by me. Looking forward to it though. :thumbsup:

Z_Render_8
09-30-2005, 03:09 PM

Unfortunately, we wouldn't be able to post earlier than next week, if all goes well.

Still rendering into the weekend. At least I know I can get some sleep tonight. Thank u for the update :hey:

Rabbitroo
09-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Just a reminder that the forums are for civil discourse - I just removed a completely uncalled for personal invective, and if there are any further kinds of comments those will be removed as well. We do our best to meet our estimates, but there's a very good reason that they are called estimates - it's a guess and given the R&D nature of this product, it's going to be subject to slippage more often than not. Such slippage is not an excuse for anyone to disparage the character of NewTek or anyone at NewTek.

I completely withdraw anything I might have said about Newtek's marketing. :lightwave

-K

Chuck
09-30-2005, 04:37 PM
I completely withdraw anything I might have said about Newtek's marketing. :lightwave

-K

No need; I know I'm taking it as the food for thought that you intend, and I'm sure other staff are as well. We appreciate your taking time to share your reactions on our communications.

Intuition
09-30-2005, 05:59 PM
Well, I'm an unabashed Newtek gusher and they have enabled me to make my main income for 10 years now by inventing Lightwave.

I have no complaints.
As always, thanks for the info Chuck. Before you know it we'll be back here tripping on when 9.0 will be released. Grabbing at it like kids in a toy store.

Gimme Gimme Gimme!

Nature of the beast I guess. :devil:

:lwicon: :thumbsup:

Riplakish
09-30-2005, 06:20 PM

Thats reasonable. Now we can all reset our expectations for next Wednesday, and start to count down all over again. :lol:

-R

Z_Render_8
09-30-2005, 06:37 PM
Thats reasonable. Now we can all reset our expectations for next Wednesday, and start to count down all over again. :lol:

-R

Yep once we get 8.5, start the countdown for 9. Soon the waiting game will be over and we can start exploring :lwicon:

gregsduncan
09-30-2005, 06:51 PM
Thats reasonable. Now we can all reset our expectations for next Wednesday, and start to count down all over again.

Hey - don't Monday and Tuesday come before Wednesday? What's wrong with resetting to those days? ;) :)

Sastira
09-30-2005, 07:06 PM
Monday and Tuesday don't really exist. It's a conspiracy.

Shh... don't tell anyone I told you.

Stooch
09-30-2005, 07:23 PM
hmm the emoticons are biased. How come there isnt an inverse of this? :lightwave

Rabbitroo
09-30-2005, 08:01 PM

-R
I think next week is officially over at midnight, Saturday, October 8th. 8/

We'd better take Chuck at his word and give them the whole week. :D

-K

DragonFist
09-30-2005, 11:34 PM

Thank you Chuck! I certainly cannot wait for the release; however, knowing not to expect it makes the waiting easier. Anyone that gets upset at communication of the truth has got things a bit backwards, I think. It may be frustrating to wait but personal attack or even attack of Newtek for communicating what is happening and trying give an idea of what to expect is a bit irrational.

Fortunately, those who would are in the minority. They are sometimes the most vocal, but they are the minority. There are plenty of people so patient that they do not even post about and wait silently.

Guess what I am saying is that most of us are very happy that you let us know what is happening and don't want you to take the actions of a few to mean you should communicate in the future.

Best,

Shawn "DragonFist" Smith

colkai
10-01-2005, 02:20 AM
Please please, if it doesn't look like it will be ready before Friday, wait until after the weekend to release it as I'm gonna be away and I'll sulk if I miss playing with it. :p ;)
Go Newtek! :D

gjjackson
10-01-2005, 10:48 AM
My only curiosity is whether any encountered problems are with 8.5 And LW64. If they'd be common problems or separate, or only with either one alone.

T-Light
10-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Chuck-

Thanks Chuck, good luck to the team for a release next week :)

Qexit
10-01-2005, 02:52 PM
Please please, if it doesn't look like it will be ready before Friday, wait until after the weekend to release it as I'm gonna be away and I'll sulk if I miss playing with it. :p ;)
Go Newtek! :DHi Colin, I think it is a fairly safe bet that it will be available in time for the next NW UK LW Users meeting on the 15th :thumbsup: Good thing we didn't have the meeting on the 1st October afterall :dance:

Red_Oddity
10-01-2005, 05:55 PM
hey, take your time, i rather wait a week longer and have a production ready update rather than having to switch back to 8.3 after figuring out the update isn't worth using until i have played with it for a month figuring out what all the bugs and workarounds are this time...

CB_3D
10-02-2005, 05:49 AM
Hi Chuck.

Since You seem to be monitoring this thread i´d like to ask one question.

Has Displacement support for ZBrush been enhanced in 8.3?
I need to know that for one particular project I am currently working on.

Thx

Panikos
10-02-2005, 07:03 AM
What satisfies me is the idea of LW9.
The 8.5 features are welcome, delayed released of LW8.5 is against LW9.0 progress.

Hopefully everything will go well and Xmas finds us all happy :thumbsup:

starbase1
10-04-2005, 07:20 AM
Maybe everyone is waiting for something...

Twas the night before 8.5, when all through the house,
Not a user was stirring, or moving their mouse.
The browsers were hung round the website with care,
In hopes that V8.5 soon would be there...

:santa:

pauland
10-04-2005, 07:34 AM
LOL - we must all have been bad boys and girls..

BeeVee
10-04-2005, 07:41 AM
Yes, you're all getting upgrades to the LightWave LOC* Edition, we're just having a little difficulty sourcing a supplier willing to deal with such a large and unruly community.

B
*Lump of Coal

:D

Riplakish
10-04-2005, 09:08 AM
Maybe everyone is waiting for something...

Twas the night before 8.5, when all through the house,
Not a user was stirring, or moving their mouse.
The browsers were hung round the website with care,
In hopes that V8.5 soon would be there...

:santa:

We told Chuck we'd lay off a bit, since he was nice enough to reset expectations. To continue gesticulating would simply be bad form.

pauland
10-04-2005, 10:19 AM
I have a mental mage of Chuck feet up on his desk with a big cigar and the LW8.5 final on a disc in front of him and he's thinking: Let's make the B*****S sweat for a few days longer after all the hassle they've given me.. ;-)

..and who would blame him?

Intuition
10-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Well, I can't wait for 8.5 to come out so I can start asking Chuck and CO. when 9 will be released on a weekly basis. :D :D :D

ROFL. Just kidding.

I am really more interested in 9 tho. Or LW64.

Its an addiction really. :thumbsup:

I think we will be jamming 8.5 by the weekend. ;-)

Wickster
10-04-2005, 10:48 AM
This is what we call "Crunch Time" and its been like this since the announcement. Most companies are like that including the one I work for...When deadlines are near, people are edgy and will growl and snarl at you if you dare say a word. So I wouldn't expect anything at the moment cause I can understand the stress their going through. I'm cool with short updates whether its going to be delayed or not, any news is all good.

More power to you Chuck and Kurtis. I think you have the toughest jobs out there, cause you get to deal with the unexpected us. :D

Remember when eyes starts to twitch (maybe a little late for kurtis, judging by his avatar) and voices in your head starts talking to you, time to get up and walk away from the computer and think happy thoughts. Same to all of you waiting for 8.5.

TheDAve
10-04-2005, 11:03 AM
I think Starbase1 may have something...
Maybe the delivery company only delivers once a year :)

(and to all the Newtek guys - thanks for the effort!, being very used to crunches I'll be happy to get it when I get it!)

DAve

Z_Render_8
10-04-2005, 04:07 PM
Well, I can't wait for 8.5 to come out so I can start asking Chuck and CO. when 9 will be released on a weekly basis. :D :D :D

ROFL. Just kidding.

I am really more interested in 9 tho. Or LW64.

Its an addiction really. :thumbsup:

I think we will be jamming 8.5 by the weekend. ;-)

(Well, I can't wait to start asking Chuck and CO. when 9 will be released.)

>>Yeah restart the clock for LW9

(I am really more interested in 9 tho. Or LW64.)

>>Me too.

(Its an addiction really.)

>>Tell me about it!

(I think we will be jamming 8.5 by the weekend.)

>>I hope so. My head is spining already with :lwicon:

maxxwv
10-04-2005, 06:50 PM
Remember when eyes starts to twitch (maybe a little late for kurtis, judging by his avatar) and voices in your head starts talking to you, time to get up and walk away from the computer and think happy thoughts.

That's not supposed to happen normally? Man, I need a new doctor...

To tell the truth, the fact that Chuck released the fact that 8.5 is at the end of beta now - in my opinion - doesn't give hope to the idea that it'll be out by this weekend. Possibly by the end of the month, unless Chuck meant they were at the end of squashing the bugs that people forgot to report or didn't discover.

Granted, I'll not call myself a programmer by any stretch - I design and develop web sites, therefor I work with server side scripting languages, not programming (and the stuff the LW team does is waaay beyond my comprehension) - but I know that even after the weeks of in-development testing I do and ask the client to do on a site, there's always bugs after it goes live. And that really makes clients (not much different that our unruly bunch - me included) really mad...

Jockomo
10-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Are we there yet?
no.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No!
Are we there yet?
NO!
Are we there yet?
yes.
Really?!?!?!
NOOOOO~!
Are we there yet?

pauland
10-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Where did you say we were going?
I don't know, but wherever it is, we're not there!

LOL

gregsduncan
10-05-2005, 12:06 PM
There is a press release given today here (http://not_really_true.com) which says 8.5 has been dropped so 9 can be released sooner :thumbsdow

Disclaimer : The information contained in this post may not exactly be true :p

Cman
10-05-2005, 12:32 PM
There is a press release given today here (http://not_really_true.com) which says 8.5 has been dropped so 9 can be released sooner :thumbsdow

Disclaimer : The information contained in this post may not exactly be true :p

I guess this idea came from notreallyfunny.com? :thumbsdow

hrgiger
10-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Actually, I think it came from http://www.gregsduncanisnotasfunnyashethinksheis.com

gregsduncan
10-05-2005, 12:55 PM
Oh, I'm sorry :( but the day after we get 8.5 installed, we'll all be looking back fondly to that post with a big smile on our face. I just hope I'm still alive to smile with you :D

CB_3D
10-05-2005, 01:11 PM
So, Autodesk bought Lightwave and that´s it.

Sigh....

mnemonicimage
10-05-2005, 01:12 PM
Pretty tricky of Newtek to distract the delay of releasing 8.5 with getting AutoDesk to buy Alias. :) Still dreaming of the day of unleashing my dual AMD (dual core) 64 bit beast with 8.5. :jester:

Stooch
10-05-2005, 01:20 PM
ok all the joking and niceties dont change the fact that the update is late AGAIN. id like a status update or something, its wednesday and im getting the feeling that its not going to happen this week either.

pauland
10-05-2005, 01:25 PM
Stooch,

it may well be a bit late, but what difference does it really make?

It's late, so what? Newtek will release it when it's ready and it's not as if a virgin is sacrificed each day it's late (though I might be wrong on that one).

Enjoy the banter and enjoy the release when it comes. It won't make any of us better modellers or animators when it does arrive. Let them release it when it's finished cooking, or we'll all get indigestion.

Paul

lardbros
10-05-2005, 01:30 PM
The ONLY thing that bugs me everso slightly is that Netwek announced that they are the first to release a 64-bit version of their software... and now it's not released yet and everyone else has released their ones. XSI came out today i think.

No big problem... i just wish newtek had beaten them to it! Oh well, i'm waiting patient-(in a mental ward)-ly! ;)

MitchVFX
10-05-2005, 02:56 PM
Actually, I believe Maxon was the first; they released theirs a few weeks ago.

Geez, I've been registered for two years and this is my first post? :D

gregsduncan
10-05-2005, 03:05 PM
It won't make any of us better modellers or animators when it does arrive.

It may do!!! I'm looking forward to the new "Automodel" and "Autoanimate" functions where you just type in the name of what you want modeled and how it will look and ta-da - there it is... And just type in a plain English sentence of how you want the object to move in layout and bingo - done in an instant! :thumbsup: This will really speed up workflow Oh - hang on - sorry, just realised that's not on the 8.5 spec - it's my wishlist :D

Geez, I've been registered for two years and this is my first post?

You're obviously a very patient person :D

Qexit
10-05-2005, 03:46 PM
ok all the joking and niceties dont change the fact that the update is late AGAIN. id like a status update or something, its wednesday and im getting the feeling that its not going to happen this week either.As you say 'joking aside'. Last Friday Chuck announced "We're still completing the final testing"...that means people were still hunting for bugs. What if one or more of the beta testers came across a previously undiscovered crash bug or two over the weekend ? What would you expect Newtek to do or say ? Obviously, they would try and fix the bug but what would you expect them to say about the situation "Sorry, we have a newly discovered problem to fix before the release, so please be patient". Not exactly great PR, especially when they are deluged with 'another late update' posts on here. Of course, they could just go ahead and release what they have anyway and live with the 'another buggy LW release from Newtek' posts on these forums. Basically, ****ed if they do....****ed if they don't. :bangwall:

The last update from Chuck was last Friday, today is Wednesday. I personally would not expect any kind of update till the end of the week at the earliest, but then I am usually quite a patient person. The fact that nothing earth-shatteringly new and exciting, from my point of view, has been announced for the LW8.5 release helps with this :) I have FPrime in my toolkit, along with Vertibevel and I only have 32-bit hardware so the arrival of the new OpenGL features, Multishift and LW64-bit aren't going to make much impact on how I work. The other enhancements along with the bug fixes will be very welcome...but nothing vital to my continued use of LW :thumbsup:

lardbros
10-05-2005, 04:09 PM
Actually, I believe Maxon was the first; they released theirs a few weeks ago.

Geez, I've been registered for two years and this is my first post? :D

Exactly, backs up my point even more... kinda annoying, they kept alot more quiet about it too!

Haha, 2 yrs... you gotta start somewhere i guess!

Jockomo
10-05-2005, 04:10 PM
It's late, so what? Newtek will release it when it's ready and it's not as if a virgin is sacrificed each day it's late (though I might be wrong on that one).

Maybe not, but for each day that 8.5 is not released, Formal Military Officer Kamiichi (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=19997) will kill one of these poor little kittens!

http://img.2dehands.nl/f/normal/9603734.jpg

Think of the kittens Chuck, DO IT FOR THE KITTENS!

meatycheesyboy
10-05-2005, 04:54 PM
Think of the kittens Chuck, DO IT FOR THE KITTENS!

I'm gonna have to agree NT, those kittens are pretty cute, don't let Formal Military Officer Kimiichi get them.