PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for buying new VT system

dchutinaton
08-17-2005, 03:56 PM
We're looking at purchasing a VT system for a 3 camera live production. Its a classroom setting so we need integration with powerpoint. I understand the new iVGA in 4.5 will handle that. We want a finished master at the end of the program. So we'll roll in a premade opener from the DDR and run credits at the end of the program. And key in lower thirds live as needed.

For those of you who are using a VT system for live production, how often does it crash? I've heard that as being the main criticism against using a VT system for live production is the stability issues versus a non computer based swither. But the cost of obtaining all the equipment necessary to do what a VT system can do in the same box is cost prohibitive for our current budget.

Any advice and user reports will be much appreciated.

Danai

JReble
08-17-2005, 05:28 PM
Just a simple observation; if the hardware switching route is out of your budget, then you can't do better than a VT system. Any computer reliant system will crash on occassion. Even hardware switcher systems run on software. I've had echolab switchers lock up and freak out on me as many or more times than the VT. You just need to spec, build, and wire everything at the maximum quality possible and you'll be as good as you can get whatever route you take. Don't try to cut corners or experiment with a new system. Go with proven system spec and good components. Talk to a good dealer, there are a few around here.

Jim_C
08-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Also, look at Newtek's Tricaster. Seems like just what you need.

http://www.newtek.com/tricaster/

dchutinaton
08-17-2005, 05:49 PM
Tricaster won't do because we need the component inputs that the VT provides.

dchutinaton
08-17-2005, 05:54 PM
Thanks JRebel for your comments/observations. Its good to hear that a well built VT system can be just as reliable as a dedicated switcher. Has anyone here worked with Professional Video and Sound out of Modesto area? The price they quoted me seems to be high compared to the systems built by sharbor. Anyone else worked with sharbor? Where have people on this forum bought from?

Danai

Jim Capillo
08-17-2005, 09:06 PM
Where have people on this forum bought from?

Danai

I will HIGHLY recommend my dealer, Blaine (http://www.videohardware.com)

He has always helped me tweak my system (even after the warranty period) and is well known on all of the VT boards for helping out folks that didn't buy the system from him. Blaine and Chris are two very knowledgable VT (and Windoze) guys - and they have shipped systems all over the world. :thumbsup:

Dan Hong
08-18-2005, 09:19 AM
I do 2 live shows a month. 5 camera shoots with CG and DDR playback, sometimes capturing to hard disk, sometimes streaming, sometimes both. Buy a good computer and you'll save yourself a lot of heartaches. I've probably done 25 or 30 live shows over the past 2 1/2 years and I've never lost the VT during a show. Get a good computer, and understand the software before you do a live event. I get at least one call a week, with someone who loads a CG project file into a DDR, or someone who says "When I click three times per second, the computer always locks up". Well, what happens when you click once every two seconds...
It's a computer, if you tell it to crash, it will.

bradl
08-18-2005, 10:47 PM
Thanks JRebel for your comments/observations. Its good to hear that a well built VT system can be just as reliable as a dedicated switcher. Has anyone here worked with Professional Video and Sound out of Modesto area? The price they quoted me seems to be high compared to the systems built by sharbor. Anyone else worked with sharbor? Where have people on this forum bought from?

DanaiI bought a system from Safe Harbor a couple of years ago. Good system and good service. It has been running 24/7 ever since. Mary there has recently helped me purchase lots of software at great prices.

pnelson
08-19-2005, 09:44 AM
I always recommend that customers purchase thier VT[4] from a nearby authorized reseller!

eyehelm
08-20-2005, 11:12 AM
been running system 24/7 8 live shows a week and have only had 1 switcher shut down. It does have some anoying delays though.