PDA

View Full Version : Lights are busted

Johnny
08-17-2005, 07:57 AM
sometimes when I change light attributes, something in them "breaks" and Undo won't put the light back to where it was before that thing that "broke" it.

Doesn't "Undo" mean: "take that last thing that was done, and UN-do it?"

lights breaking means trashing the light and re-creating it..often not a small investment of time.

anyone else?

J

toby
08-17-2005, 11:00 AM
Undo only undoes moves and rotations at the moment.

Can you tell us what you mean by 'breaking' a light?

Johnny
08-17-2005, 11:05 AM
Undo only undoes moves and rotations at the moment.

Can you tell us what you mean by 'breaking' a light?

OK.. a variety of things..mainly tweaking settings, or switching between light types. Let's say I have the light shining properly, but I'm not happy with shadows. A little fiddling, and the shadows disappear, sometimes the lighting of that light goes bad, too. This morning, I cloned a light, both the clone and its original just stopped working!

Sometimes lights stop working even when I'm not working on them, but other parts of a scene. Not changing what the light shines on, but other aspects of that scene. the only fix I've found is re-creating the light. which introduces another barrage of bamboozlement as I try to get THAT new light back to what the other one was.

J

IgnusFast
08-17-2005, 12:39 PM
OK.. a variety of things..mainly tweaking settings, or switching between light types. Let's say I have the light shining properly, but I'm not happy with shadows. A little fiddling, and the shadows disappear, sometimes the lighting of that light goes bad, too. This morning, I cloned a light, both the clone and its original just stopped working!

Sometimes lights stop working even when I'm not working on them, but other parts of a scene. Not changing what the light shines on, but other aspects of that scene. the only fix I've found is re-creating the light. which introduces another barrage of bamboozlement as I try to get THAT new light back to what the other one was.

J

This happens in Layout, or in a render? Lightwave is limited to 8 OpenGL lights in the editor, so they can come and go depending on how many are in the scene. But if it's in render, then I haven't seen this bug.

Johnny
08-17-2005, 01:33 PM
This happens in Layout, or in a render? Lightwave is limited to 8 OpenGL lights in the editor, so they can come and go depending on how many are in the scene. But if it's in render, then I haven't seen this bug.

In layout...

I'll make note of how many lights I have going next time that happens...I could very well have exceeded 8; thanks for letting me know about that.

J

IgnusFast
08-17-2005, 04:02 PM
If you want to check, the setting is in Edit -> Display Settings. It's called "Max Open GL Lights". I think the default (and max) is 8, but it could default even lower, so check it.