PDA

View Full Version : Creating titles in CG that are very long

wtdedula
08-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Here is another problem I'm having with VT-3 CG. I have been having terrible luck with creating scrowling text in CG and outputting to RTV. The text flickers very severely and the client (Who is my friend fortunately), said it isn't acceptable. So I am searching for an alternative.

I have read somewhere that creating CG pages in .png and then using motion in VT-Edit works much better. However, I just can't figure out how to make pages that are very long but not very wide. I have tried to create a motion title and then output to .png and .tga but both seem to be only the dimensions of the screen. I know this worked for me previously but I just can't figure out what I did to make it work.

Are there any GOOD alternatives to Titling other than CG ? How about Premiere Pro for Motion titles ?

Why does CG titles flicker so much ? I don't see this in any professional video productions ?

Tim

Paul Lara
08-16-2005, 09:48 PM
Why does CG titles flicker so much?

One of two issues, actually. (or both)

One: font edging.
make sure that there is not an abrupt white-edged font with a black background
The solution is to use an intermediate color as a font edge that is a compromise between face and background colors.

Two: interlacing.
Unless your scroll page is moving at speeds even divisible by the number of scan lines in your interlaced screen, you will see flashing edges.
the solution is to scroll pages at proper speeds.

wtdedula
08-16-2005, 10:02 PM
Thanks, Paul;
I'll give both a try right now as well as your solution to my previous post.

Could you tell me how to determine how many scan lines are in my CG
image so I can determnine the optimum speed(s) to use ?

Tim