PDA

View Full Version : Radeon 9700 and LW-any problems?

mwachala
04-30-2003, 01:43 PM
Hello,

I am currently configuring a new system and was thinking of going with a Radeon 9700 Pro. I wanted to see if anyone has any problems with the Radeon and LW. I normally use nVidia cards but with my monitor I need to run at 1600x1024 and the new nVidia cards aren't up to par. I have a GeForceFX 5600 ultra but it is slower than my GeForce 4 ti 4200. I occasionaly play some games so I need to run at 1600x1024 in them.

Thank you.

mattclary
04-30-2003, 01:56 PM
"Need"? ;)

mwachala
04-30-2003, 02:10 PM
I have a 22" flat panel that runs at 1600x1024. Any resolutions below that a stretched and look horrible.

rabid pitbull
04-30-2003, 05:50 PM
wow must be great to have such a nice system. i am still running a gf2 ti:(

mattclary
05-01-2003, 06:43 AM
Wow!

organzero
05-01-2003, 09:40 AM
I've got a Radeon 9700 Pro and it runs LW nicely except for one VERY ANNOYING problem: Any time I switch between drawing modes or number of viewports the program hangs for maybe 20 seconds or so.

Anybody know how to fix this please? =)

I've tried the latest drivers and the Newtek certified ones, with and without the RivaTuner X1 hack. Same thing happens in all configurations.

Also pop-up menus don't show up in the second (dual head) display, but the hanging thing is making me want to go back to my old GF2.

For me OpenGL performance particularly in wireframe drawing modes is comperable to a hacked GF2. Forcing the 9700 Pro to use X1 drivers is super fast, but the card dies (system crash) under heavy poly counts.

MorituriMax
05-02-2003, 12:19 AM
I've got a 20" LCD from Dell that runs best at 1600x1200..

I thought of going with an ATI 9700 Pro, but there were definite OpenGL performance problems mentioned which COULD affect Lightwave, so I got an MSI GF4 Ti4600 x8 and it runs awesome.

Stay away from ATI cards, at least for the forseeable future if you plan on using LW a lot.

BNA!
05-02-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by MorituriMax
Stay away from ATI cards, at least for the forseeable future if you plan on using LW a lot.

I run Lightwave on a 9700pro and I can't agree with you.
I don't have any performance problems nor any problems else.
Instead I get absolutely great desktop image quality too - no more fuzzy text.

MorituriMax
05-02-2003, 02:06 AM
All I know is that ATI has a history of problems with OpenGL on some systems, and the newest drivers haven't done anything to address the fact that nVidia cards are much more stable in OpenGL than ATI..

I'm not spinning here.. I am merely stating that you take your chances with ATI as opposed to nVidia.

organzero
05-02-2003, 05:18 AM
BNA what driver version are you using? LW 7.5b? What OS?

Besides this one problem the card's been great.

Rich

Verlon
05-05-2003, 09:53 PM
I replaced a Ge-Force 3 Ti 500 with an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro on my Lightwave system (Drives a 19" Samsung LCD and a Sony 18" LCD, both at 1280*1024 without incident)

It seems to run fine so far. I do not experience that 20 second hang discussed above at all.

I use the Omega driver set (I like games, too). Do a search for Omega drivers if you want them also, I do not recall the link.

In games, there are occaisionally z-buffer issues (objects not being drawn as if they were behind something they are close to, but not behind). I have seen this in WWII online, for example. I have not had issue with this in Lightwave.

I have a Ge-Force 4 Ti 4600 in the other system, and the ATI crushes it in pretty much every test I throw at them. I can dig up numbers if you like. ATI is not my favorite company in the world, but it pretty much looks like they have they best video card
for me.

On the high end Nvidia offering, the FX 5800 Ultra:
It appears to not be as fast as the 9700, much less the 9800
It is WAY louder. I know a guy that returned 1 for noise!
Image quality isn't as good.
It takes a bigger performance hit to turn on FSAA.
I do not know anyone who has one that reccomends it over a GF4 4600.

I know TSMC had trouble making the actual chips for Nvidia, and that is why we are getting the FX now instead of late last summer, when it would have been more competitive.

Nvidia plans to release their next product around June, last I heard. The NV35 is still on track for summer, and supposed to be more of a competitor to the 9800. If you have a good card now, it might be worth it to wait a few weeks to see what develops. We should know pretty soon whether or not Nvidia can deliver what they are claiming. Someone, somewhere will violate an NDA or something and we will get review data.

My 2 cents, for what its worth......

Zafar Iqbal
05-08-2003, 09:37 PM
I have ATI 9700 Pro myself, and haven't experienced any problems exept one thing: Modeler wont work correctly when Full Screen Antialiasing is turned on.

telamon
05-11-2003, 10:01 AM
I have a Radeon 9700 Pro and I experience a lot of problems when I want to use higer AA resolutions (x4 for instance).

-in modeler, when I zoom, the screen gets strange in the zoom rectangle
-when I use high poly objects with several HD textures, it lags very much to display in texture mode.
-When I have 4 viewports in both modeler and layout, two viewports in modeler are automatically impracticable.
- I happen to have no refresh of the selection sets in the modeler

Otherwise this card is OK :D

BNA!
05-11-2003, 10:27 AM
Don't use AA with Lightwave and an ATI 9700.

And make sure to use "simple wireframe points"

Other than that it's still a great card (and much more silent than, well, you know..)