PDA

View Full Version : 4.5 no crashes yet but...

cholo
08-16-2005, 03:44 PM
I have noticed that even though it hasn't crashed on me yet, it starts getting slower gradually as I work on projects especially when there's a lot of big images involved. If I quit and reopen it's snappy again, weird huh? :)

Paul Lara
08-16-2005, 04:36 PM
I have noticed that it starts getting slower gradually as I work on projects ...

Open Task manager, and keep an eye on your RAM useage; does it max out?
Does it go up without adding any additional images on the timeline??

cholo
08-16-2005, 05:22 PM
I'll look deeper into it :)

Whelkn
08-16-2005, 05:41 PM
I noticed that after using it for awhile when I close a module like the DDR or VT-Edit it would take a awhile it to finally close. During that time VT seemed to have locked up but it would go back to normal after the module finally closed--a restart of vt 4 fixed the problem but that has never happened to me in sp1.

Jeremy

JReble
08-16-2005, 06:50 PM
Yeah, I've also noticed that some modules don't dissappear right away. Also when you close VT4 several modules stay even after the VT background has closed. Many times they take 5 or more seconds to finally go away. Weird.

ScorpioProd
08-16-2005, 08:31 PM
I've noticed this especially with Quick Plays of a clip in the file bin.

Jim Capillo
08-17-2005, 04:31 AM
Yeah, I've also noticed that some modules don't dissappear right away. Also when you close VT4 several modules stay even after the VT background has closed. Many times they take 5 or more seconds to finally go away. Weird.

The message bar with "VT is closing" sometimes comes up very quick for me while other times takes up to 10 seconds to appear. I have to wait to shutdown the computer or I'll have to reload the VT module configs the next time I start it. Not a major thing, but sort of an inconvenience if I forget to wait.....

JReble
08-17-2005, 08:11 AM
Perhaps our alien friends can shed some light on this. If there's a good reason for it, I'm happy to live with it. :stumped:

P.S.- Webmaster dude should have a look at the 8/ smiley code. The point of using codes is so you don't unintentionally create smilies throughout your posts. That particular one uses characters that are easily and often used for dates and such. 8 and / together make 8/ That makes me very 8~

goodrichm
08-17-2005, 08:27 AM
Same VT4.5 things happen here too...

Blaine Holm
08-17-2005, 09:46 AM
Same VT4.5 things happen here too...

I think it's there to safely allow the closing of files. Dr Toast says.... patience grasshopper...... :yingyang:

Paul Lara
08-17-2005, 09:53 AM
The message bar with "VT is closing" sometimes comes up very quick for me while other times takes up to 10 seconds to appear. I have to wait to shutdown the computer or I'll have to reload the VT module configs the next time I start it. Not a major thing, but sort of an inconvenience if I forget to wait.....

Yes.
That was added since version 4.5 can sometimes take a little longer to close everything down, and this panel just informs you that it's finished.

10 seconds ... I have to wait

Man, 10 seconds is a lot longer than it used to be, Jim! :D

Jim_C
08-17-2005, 10:19 AM
This wandered slightly astray...
Is there any word on Cholo's slowdown when adding images?

Are you guys experiencing that type of slow down also?

Thanks

Jim

stevestrike
08-18-2005, 09:24 AM
Sounds like there may be a memory leak. Leave your system on with some stuff open overnight and see if the memory usages changes dramatically.

cholo
08-18-2005, 07:03 PM
Here's a snapshot of my task manager when the system gets slow and video start getting jumpy... Notice an awful lot of activity on behalf of winrtme even though the system was idling at the time of the snapshot (and I have all caches turned off, long story, auto render doesn't work)

cholo
08-18-2005, 07:05 PM
...here's a screenshot of VT4 after I quit, kill winrtme and restart... Task Manager shows a more stable winrtme... Memory usage doesn't look bad in either.

cholo
08-18-2005, 07:09 PM
Just in case my specs are... Dell Precision 450 dual Xeon 2.4's, 2 gig ram, Medea RTS, adaptec scsi card, quadro fx 500 video, TI firewire and a VT 2 card.

wvp
08-19-2005, 09:59 AM
I would also point out the VT4 is using far less memory after your reboot.