PDA

View Full Version : Problem changing the frame rate

darmstro
08-16-2005, 01:30 PM
I'm relatively new to LW. I'm on a Mac G5.

I have a 10 sec scene, set up at 30 fps (300 frames) that I am rendering out as a Quicktime file. It looks fine but the file is 62 megs and I want to try 24 fps to get a smaller file and see if it still looks ok. I changed the scene over to 24 fps in the preferences panel; changed the last frame to 240; and changed the frame rate in the Quicktime render options panel to 24. I got a smaller file that only has 240 frames but Quicktime will only play it at 30 fps. The entire scene is there and if it were played at 24 fps it would be 10 sec long but for some reason Quicktime is seeing it as 30 fps. Am I missing a setting somewhere in LW?

Surrealist.
08-16-2005, 01:59 PM
What type of quicktime format did you choose?

Does anyone know if this would make a difference? I am currious about this too.

darmstro
08-16-2005, 02:27 PM
Compression type is "Animation" saved as .mov file. Quality set at medium. Colors set at millions.

Surrealist.
08-16-2005, 02:46 PM
Compression type is "Animation" saved as .mov file. Quality set at medium. Colors set at millions.

See I am wondering if any of the other compressions settings allow for the quicktime player to recogognize the embeded frame rate.

I only know that some NLE editors have the ablitity to override it. Mine does.

I can have a project at 30 fps and import a video stream at any rate and it will play the porject at 30 fps, though in the properties of the QT media it still shows 24 FPS. I think My editor converts on the fly and keeps it the same time.

What's my point? It may be a limitation of the QT player in that you may need to use another compression that is more suited for multimedia and streaming, but I am shooting in the dark here.

I wonder if anyone knows?

In the mean time you can try others and see if you get a different result. Try Sorrensen 3 for example.

Mr. Black
08-17-2005, 08:15 AM
You know I just had this problem the other month. I started the project in 30 per then remembered that the final was going to be HD 1080P. I did all of the changes you said, and no joy. I started a new project, set it to 24p before animating anything, and it rendered out to 24p fine. Went back to the other project,, still at 30 per. After a bunch of iterations of changing the frame rate-saving-changing again-saving-rendering, something happened that made it work. I wish I could say I knew which step it was. It was 3am and I didn't care at that point. I guess the moral of the story it to set frame rate before you import your models and start pushing them around.
Jeff

darmstro
08-17-2005, 08:40 AM
Surrealist -

I tried Sorenson 3 (and a few others), no go. QT still sees it as 30 fps. Thanks anyway.

Mr. Black -

Thanks, yes, I've had no trouble if the project was started in 24 fps.

toby
08-17-2005, 11:30 AM
LW has always had this problem - it's yet another reason to render to an image sequence.

http://www.tobygaines.com/render_to_frames.html

Surrealist.
08-17-2005, 01:14 PM
LW has always had this problem - it's yet another reason to render to an image sequence.

http://www.tobygaines.com/render_to_frames.html

That's interesting.

My editor sees the frame rate fine. What is it that is different about the quciktime player?

Surrealist.
08-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Surrealist -

I tried Sorenson 3 (and a few others), no go. QT still sees it as 30 fps. Thanks anyway.

Mr. Black -

Thanks, yes, I've had no trouble if the project was started in 24 fps.

That's even more interesting. I have my default frame rate set to 24 in the LW config file. I wonder if you went and edited that it would fix it.

That may even answer the questeion I had for toby.

toby
08-17-2005, 09:48 PM
Not sure why it's so :screwy: - had enough problems with QT in LW that I just don't expect anything anymore. It's actually what introduced me to rendering to frames, in OS9 it was advisable to remove the QTtools.p for stability.

Surrealist.
08-17-2005, 11:03 PM
Not sure why it's so :screwy: - had enough problems with QT in LW that I just don't expect anything anymore. It's actually what introduced me to rendering to frames, in OS9 it was advisable to remove the QTtools.p for stability.

The plot thinkens.

I an oldtimer. I remember too well al the hasles of having to render to frames and convert. I had an old PAR on an Amiga. I had a project where I was doing a lot of rotoscoping so I had video and animation going back and forth to and from the par as frames.

The introduction of saving broadcast quality animations was a godsend when it came out. I remember the joy of being able to render out my first avi test sequences on my new pentium 100 mhz - screaming fast! :D

As time went on we got more capability in this area. Do I render to frames anyway now? Of course, for all of the good reasons, but depending on the situation. If it is a project that I want preserved and is the final render, yes. For interim tests, no of course not. That's the beauty of rendering to anim. And to have the choice of doing both is a bonus if you are going to video anyway.

It's too bad QT is so broke. It's not a problem for me as I have a pro NLE but for others who don't, not good.

Wonder if it is looking at the config file? I do wonder if that would work.

toby
08-17-2005, 11:12 PM
I do vaguely remember some kind of fix for the fps, having to do with the config file - it would require a search on ye olde forums...