PDA

View Full Version : woley even working on getting fprime to work under win 64?

KillMe
08-16-2005, 08:42 AM
title says it all i got no responce when i emailed them - i really need fprime i can hardly work without it now feels so alien - lighting stuff is almost impossible =

so i ask again does anyone know if he is working on getting it working under x64?

i had hoped that with version 2 it would be fixed but not the case

Signal to Noise
08-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Worley haven't replied to your email because:

a) They're too busy
b) On a well-deserved vacation
c) Mad at you for misspelling their name!

64-bit apps are on the horizon. Even though the hardware is somewhat available the technology is still being developed into applications. Be patient, Grasshopper.

Intuition
08-16-2005, 01:08 PM
Yeh, I've been pretty impatient for 64bit stuff since April of 2004.

32bit is a huge wall for me. I was sometimes barely able to get to the detail I wanted into the mars project. Often many things were done in multiple passes just because of the 2gb ram limit even though I had 4gb ram.

Sure, I can render my Background mountains and sand dunes and then composite the foreground in. Yet, even my foreground had too many rocks and textures for Lightwave to deal with and that was before I added in my landing ship.

I know Worley will be jumping on the 64 bit train like everyone else but common use of 64bit technologies is probably a year away.

The computers being made right now are probably not even optimized yet because we haven't seen how the software will evolve to use the new 64bit processors,algorithms and memory usage in the best way possible.

But I want to jump on soon.

KillMe
08-16-2005, 02:23 PM
i clearly jumped too soon =/ -and whats worse i for some reason couldn't get it to setup as a dual boot :thumbsdow

Wade
08-16-2005, 04:02 PM
Worley - has been working on 64 for some time now I would venture a guess. :thumbsup: :censored:

Intuition
08-16-2005, 04:12 PM
But it sounds like you are running Lightwave 64 successfully.

Is this true?

I've been wanting to use it so bad. A current scene I am using needs lots of detail. The water plane deformation, not including the boat (using the proxy boat right now) and the voxel effects is killing LW32.

But I'd want to use f-prime with it as well. Cause waiting for a frame could be long too. :agree:

KillMe
08-16-2005, 08:08 PM
sadly no jsut running lightwave 32bit under windows 64 - at a guess wont see lightwave 64 until there something abit better than beta drivers for the dongle

Steve McRae
08-16-2005, 08:28 PM
As of roughly a month ago, according the the gentleman whom I spoke with on the phone, Worely Labs did not even have a test box for a 64 bit system.

=(

Wade
08-16-2005, 08:49 PM
BUT - Worely Labs - does know what 64 will mean to us... they do they do so 8/ I can't say any more, not that I have any more to say because I don't. :lwicon:

Steve McRae
08-16-2005, 08:59 PM
i would not take anything for granted - it took me five minutes just to explain that you could run windows XP 32 bit on a 64bit machine. (I had called because Fprime would not recognize my dongle on a opteron system - reverting to older safenet drivers solved the problem)

Give them a call and ask.

KillMe
08-16-2005, 08:59 PM
arghhhhhhhhh he doesn't even own a 64bit computer :cry: :cry: :cry:

KillMe
08-16-2005, 09:01 PM
i would not take anything for granted - it took me five minutes just to explain that you could run windows XP 32 bit on a 64bit machine. (I had called because Fprime would not recognize my dongle on a opteron system - reverting to older safenet drivers solved the problem)

Give them a call and ask.

your saying that you got fprime to work under x64 or are you saying that your running xp on an opteron machine? as i never had any trouble with running stuff when i had xp installed x64 thats causing teh probs

Steve McRae
08-16-2005, 09:09 PM
your saying that you got fprime to work under x64 or are you saying that your running xp on an opteron machine? as i never had any trouble with running stuff when i had xp installed x64 thats causing teh probs

I am saying that I had problems running Fprime on 32bit XP Pro on a dual Opteron system (which is 64 bit hardware). =) I was not trying to run it on x64 - just regular windows.

My point was that the guy I spoke with (he said his name was Steve - and I could have sworn he said Worlely - but it could have been 'Hurely' or something else) was not very familiar with AMD or 64 bit systems - and this was just over a month ago - so don't get your hopes up.

I would give them a call and ask what there plans are - maybe if enough people call or email, they will spring for a test box (if that have not already)

Verlon
08-16-2005, 10:19 PM
Worley IS working on a 64 bit version (OS...I cannot say as far as LW64 is concerned). The plugin itself should work, but there is a problem with the dongle drivers, and they ARE working on it according to my contact with the company this week.

Since this is only a dongle issue, I would hope to see it resolved fairly soon. Other software tied to the same dongle is working, so one would hope the good programmers at Worley labs will have it fixed soon.

Steve McRae
08-17-2005, 04:12 AM
ok - well that is good news

like I said, just over a month ago I was told they did not have any 64bit hardware, so he must have started in the last month . . .

JML
08-17-2005, 06:57 AM
or they prefer first to improve the 32bit version (since most people work on 32bit)

the 64bit answer to the 2GB limit is an easy way out.
they (worley and newtek) could improve their code to allow more polygons in a 32bit system just like other programs did.
right now I can create bigger scene in LW than with Fprime as for example even though they are both on a 32bit system. they just need to optimize it.

64bit is great but extremely costly. we have 5 dual xeon, and soon 5 more,
but we are getting them with 4gb of ram which is pretty expensive still.
(1 cpu=2gb ram)
so if we would need to have 3 or 4 Gb per cpu, that would mean installing 4 GB more on each rendering nodes.. really expensive.

I think they should just concentrate on optmize the app for 32bit system first.
one way : "if memory=full then use harddrive" ;)

KillMe
08-17-2005, 08:33 AM
sure more people are on 32 bit and they should improve that first but its just a problem with recognising the dongle - i'm not asking for a 64bit version of fprime ( yet )

tektonik
08-17-2005, 09:25 AM
we need 64 bit...

i have long hit the memory wall in windows

i am a dirty modeler :) i don't have time to optimize architectural stuff and even less time to render passes and post comp them!

with 64 bit dirty modelers like me :hey: will be able to escape yet again the burden of optimization :) and let render in fprime thru the nite

a+

IgnusFast
08-17-2005, 09:35 AM
or they prefer first to improve the 32bit version (since most people work on 32bit)

the 64bit answer to the 2GB limit is an easy way out.
they (worley and newtek) could improve their code to allow more polygons in a 32bit system just like other programs did.
right now I can create bigger scene in LW than with Fprime as for example even though they are both on a 32bit system. they just need to optimize it.

64bit is great but extremely costly. we have 5 dual xeon, and soon 5 more,
but we are getting them with 4gb of ram which is pretty expensive still.
(1 cpu=2gb ram)
so if we would need to have 3 or 4 Gb per cpu, that would mean installing 4 GB more on each rendering nodes.. really expensive.

I think they should just concentrate on optmize the app for 32bit system first.
one way : "if memory=full then use harddrive" ;)

64bit extremely costly? Maybe if you're building oddball machines.

AMD has already said that in the future, 64bit cores are *all* they're going to offer (and likely dual-core at that), especially since their performance with 32bit software is excellent. Their price for those processors is already excellent. This plus MS has already commited Windows Vista to both 64bit and 32bit versions.

The biggest problem with FPrime right now isn't how much memory it uses by itself, it's the fact that it has to duplicate all the objects and textures from Lightwave in it's own buffers. Hopefully Lightwave API changes (and better OpenGL presentation) will make all this irrelevant.

nthused
08-17-2005, 09:44 AM
Someone mentioned that they have FPrime working with Win64? If so, what dongle drivers are you using?

Thanks.

Verlon
08-17-2005, 10:11 AM
Costly to upgrade to 64 bit? Was that free upgrade too expensive? Couldn't be pressed to shell out $0.00 for the upgrade from WinXp Pro to WinXP Pro x64? Hmmm. Microsoft gave a Windows upgrade away for free, I was kinda expecting holiday pay at work for such an occasion.

As for hardware, its been out for 2 years and quite reasonbly priced these days (and you're using XEONS and complaining about price??) It IS the wave of the future. It might be the 'easy way out,' but by taking the 'easy' way here, maybe they can free up resources to do other things in the program.

I have not found a way to test FPrime, but I am CERTAIN that Sasquatch and Disgust will work once the dongle drivers are straightened out. This is probably just a small bug that is hard to find.

JML
08-17-2005, 10:11 AM
we need 64 bit...
i have long hit the memory wall in windows

you hit the memory wall in windows, with LW

64bit extremely costly? Maybe if you're building oddball machines.
AMD has already said that in the future, 64bit cores are *all* they're going to offer (and likely dual-core at that), especially since their performance with 32bit software is excellent. Their price for those processors is already excellent. This plus MS has already commited Windows Vista to both 64bit and 32bit versions.

motherboard and cpus are not the problem ,
I'm talking about MEMORY.
adding 4x512 Ram (2GB) is more expensive than installing 4x1GB or 6x1GB
if it's 1 computer it might be fine, but if you plan of having all you rendefarm like that then you need a lot of money.
that's what I meant by expensive !