PDA

View Full Version : How do LW Mac and LW Win compare?

BazC
08-16-2005, 03:03 AM
Does anyone here use LW on both platforms?

I've been using C4d on OSX and it is every bit as fast and stable as the PC version, not all Mac ports are as carefully crafted. Now I'm considering using Lightwave, but Mac users don't seem quite as common in Lightwave circles as in C4d. So does Newtek take as much trouble over the Mac version as the PC version do you think?

UncleBob
08-18-2005, 09:40 AM
I have got to say that compared to other Mac software, Lightwave is pretty unstable. I'm on DP 2Ghz G5 2G Ram.10.3.9 OSX. LW 8.3.

I loose count on how many times modeller and layout crash during the day - i have gone thru all the trashing prefs etc. to no avail.

Cant say what it is like on the PC.

BazC
08-18-2005, 11:00 AM
Thanks for your response though I was hoping for better news! LOL!
Anyone else out there with some info on this, I've been playing with 7.5 Discovery edition on OS10.3.9 and it seems pretty stable but then I really haven't been stretching the app by any means!

I know the demos of LW9 at Siggraph were praising it's stability, lets hope the MAc version is as good! - Baz

pantone
08-18-2005, 02:39 PM
Historically the Mac version of LW has always been complained about as not being of the same quality as the windows version. (Historcally it also seems LW in general on either platform has been complained about as being less stable than other software.)

That said.

I've been working in 8.3 without much in the way of stability problems. The random crashing that used to be a daily occurance has been reduced to a once or twice every two weeks occurance. (Mainly during network renders)

There are issues with the interface and certian plug-ins that can be a hassle. For instance in 8.3 the little manimpulator widgets at the top of the viewscreens work backwards from the way they did in the previous version. Certian interface elements don't refresh unless you scoll a field up and down. Tab order in dialog boxes isn't predictable.

There are a lot of little "loose ends" it seems, but I haven't found anything that just blows the software up on a regular basis.

Rabbitroo
08-18-2005, 04:00 PM
I'm pretty stable with my setup, but I don't push it too hard. FBX import (which is Alias's software) is still pretty unstable when it comes to big stuff, but I get stuff back and forth from C4D using Riptide's .obj format. (Riptide makes .obj "groups" which in turn become LW "parts.")

I model mostly in Modo, which also has some minor stability problems--save often is my best recommendation.

-K

BazC
08-18-2005, 04:02 PM
"There are a lot of little "loose ends" it seems, but I haven't found anything that just blows the software up on a regular basis."

Well I could live with that, it sounds kind of slapdash for an app of Lightwaves reputation, lets hope the new team can do better! - Baz

Rabbitroo
08-18-2005, 04:14 PM
"There are a lot of little "loose ends" it seems, but I haven't found anything that just blows the software up on a regular basis."

Well I could live with that, it sounds kind of slapdash for an app of Lightwaves reputation, lets hope the new team can do better! - Baz

It's part of the charm of working 3D on a Mac. You and I are spoiled by C4D's stability.

-K

BazC
08-18-2005, 04:43 PM
It's part of the charm of working 3D on a Mac. You and I are spoiled by C4D's stability.

-K

LOL! You're right there :)

willog
08-19-2005, 02:45 PM
Well as far as I am concerned if you want to be able to see the vertices when your in any shaded mode, ie that's mainly when one will want to edit them, forget buying using or having anything whatsoever to do with Lightwave 8 and above on the mac.
This display bug has been around for ages with little or no redress by Newtek.

Don't have to worry too much longer as I am going to transfer over and as far as I am concerned I have little to thank Newtek for.
Just float thru the forum and see how many times this bug has bee reported. I mean it has been there since version 8 was released and it is still there ffs.

So there you have it if you own a g4 ibook and want to do some modeling in Lightwave 8 Forget it mate, and that excludes the other instability issues reported in the mac forum section. btw Maya PLE runs sweat on this little ibook.

Ade
08-20-2005, 07:53 AM
To tell you the truth LW on pc is great, stable and getting some EXCELLENT updates like multicore, 64-bit and hardware shader support.
The mac version features promised were , xcode rewrite, 64bit and g5 optimisations.
These were all announced when luxolog y and maxo n announced these updates and implemented them.
To this day we have seen none of these features and i believe will never.
NT needs to announce its either to hard or impossible to support this on macs and then get on with the pc version so the mac users wont expect anything nor get upset with NT.

FYI - Lightwave is dual pc and mac on one disk. NT is the only one to do this...

I got the feeling from NT is its either choose mac or us...
I recently put an order in for zbrush and mo do.
They have parity with mac pc :thumbsup:

In NT's defense, Apple and OSX sux for 3D anyway, but I have invested in a g5 for other things and want to still do 3D on it....but fast and stable.

Darth Mole
08-20-2005, 12:44 PM
I think 'sucks' is a bit harsh. I may not push the software too hard but it does everything I could possibly need more or less as well as it would on a PC. For me, LW 8.3 has been really stable; I do get the feeling some people suffer from having to use certain plug-ins or file format imports that break LW on a regular basis, but I've been working with FPrime and G2 and it's been, well, rock solid...

(I also agree about C4D; R9.5 is very, very nice indeed. I'm becoming something of a convert.)

Chuck
08-21-2005, 09:58 AM
We are every bit as committed to the Mac platform as we are to the Windows platform. We've been at feature-parity on the platforms for quite a long time, and where there are performance issues those are being addressed by whatever means are available within the OS and our current development environment. The only things we can't provide are those for which Apple has not yet added support - hardware shaders in OpenGL and 64-bit GUI capability, since LightWave is an application that has to handle the data within the GUI. Apple is working on those, and we're confident that they will bring those updates to the OS in as timely a fashion as they can manage.

As for code migration mentioned previously, that's in progress. There are a lot of issues to be resolved in repurposing the entire code base to Xcode, but the work is underway. As for G5 optimization, the fact is that we have used every optimization available within the existing Mac development environment for each release.

Darth Mole
08-21-2005, 10:02 AM
So does that mean that the realtime procedurals preview won't be in LW8.5 on Mac then?

Also, Chuck - do you have an ETA for 8.5? I'd heard that the bug list (especially on Mac) is still pretty long...

BazC
08-21-2005, 10:22 AM
Thanks for your response Chuck, it's good to hear Newtek are commited to the Mac platform! - Baz

Chuck
08-21-2005, 02:50 PM
So does that mean that the realtime procedurals preview won't be in LW8.5 on Mac then?

Also, Chuck - do you have an ETA for 8.5? I'd heard that the bug list (especially on Mac) is still pretty long...

Unless we had someone on beta breaking NDA there's no authoritative source for hearing anything about how long or short the buglist is, and I trust our folks, so I'm sure you can regard any rumors you've heard as simply speculation. The fact of the matter is that the overwhelming majority of bugs are platform agnostic, and when it comes to those that are platform-specific, it is not the case that the Mac bugs that much outnumber the Windows platform bugs. That's not an attempt to excuse them, just to place things in proper perspective - please rest assured that our goal is always to get rid of all bugs, including the platform-specific.

The team does not have a more specific announcement for the public regarding the ETA yet, but is working to bring the update to users as soon as possible.

Ade
08-21-2005, 06:07 PM
We are every bit as committed to the Mac platform as we are to the Windows platform. We've been at feature-parity on the platforms for quite a long time, and where there are performance issues those are being addressed by whatever means are available within the OS and our current development environment. The only things we can't provide are those for which Apple has not yet added support - hardware shaders in OpenGL and 64-bit GUI capability, since LightWave is an application that has to handle the data within the GUI. Apple is working on those, and we're confident that they will bring those updates to the OS in as timely a fashion as they can manage.

As for code migration mentioned previously, that's in progress. There are a lot of issues to be resolved in repurposing the entire code base to Xcode, but the work is underway. As for G5 optimization, the fact is that we have used every optimization available within the existing Mac development environment for each release.

Interesting...
Ive read from others that Apple still hasnt supported a 64-bit UI aswell.
I wasnt expecting the mac 8.5 to support shader support, BUT Chuck I feel that next time something is announced, have a disclaimer saying pc only.
This is so mac people are kept in the light and also Apple is made to look like theyre not doing their part and to get their act together.
Trust me Chuck we wont hound Newtek, we'll direct our argument to apple.

One major thing that Newtek can do themselves, Open GL display speed and support. Example, C4d and Modo are smooth as, and their glass shaders show spec in displays.
Lw is a great app, just dont want it to start feeling its age.

Darth Mole
08-22-2005, 01:48 AM
Unless we had someone on beta breaking NDA there's no authoritative source for hearing anything about how long or short the buglist is, and I trust our folks, so I'm sure you can regard any rumors you've heard as simply speculation.

Sorry Chuck - no, just third-hand speculation. Besides, you only have to make few visits to this forum to see the size of the buglist...

I agree with Ade: maybe we should turn our attentions on Apple for a while, see if a company with $4billion in the bank can't improve OpenGL.