PDA

View Full Version : Which do I buy? MagPie Pro or Daz Mimic?

finenance
08-15-2005, 07:01 PM
Im tired of the the silent movie thing. I want to hear! Which do you guys thing I should put my life savings too, MagPie Pro or Mimic for lightwave?

Dodgy
08-15-2005, 07:18 PM
I really recommend mimic. It's nicely integrated and does autolipsyncing which you can go back and tweak. You can group phonemes, rearrange those groups, apply multiple morphs at different strengths to make up those phonemes, add emotion tracks it's nonlinear editing for lipsyncing. Just really really nice...

I dunno about Magpie except I think it can do multiple packages if you need to.

peter66
09-06-2005, 11:54 AM
Anybody else had problems getting MimicPro to work with LW8.3 (build801)? The characters lips don't move when you scrub through the timeline in mimic and when you close and update the animation in Lightwave it doesn't do anything...

cheers
Pete

Dodgy
09-06-2005, 02:22 PM
Mine works fine. Running 8.3 under win 2k...

Darth Mole
09-07-2005, 02:01 AM
Same here: LW 8.3 (801). MimicPro 2 runs fine.

peter66
09-07-2005, 05:49 PM
That's good and bad news... When I scrub in Mimic and there's things on the phenomes track AND some Endomorphs hooked up, can you think of any reason for why I can't see any lips moving? Something simple I'm missing?

RTSchramm
09-10-2006, 11:53 AM
I had the same problem with the Victoria model, but figured out that I had to load the "V1LoRes.dmc" configuration file. Once I did this the lip syncing worked fine.

I new at this, but I believe you need to create morph targets for the different vowel and constants sound first and assign them in Mimic. Don't ask me how to do this, I'm just getting started.

Rich

Skritter
09-11-2006, 08:29 AM
Dont forget the best facial animation package out there TAFA

http://newtek.com/products/lightwave/profiles/TimothyAlbee/index.html

http://ta-animation.com/FA/

gatz
09-11-2006, 11:54 AM
TAFA works on the Mac now?

rg

TomT
09-11-2006, 10:00 PM
TAFA works on the Mac now?

rg

Just a troll. From the website:

Requires Windows® 2000 or higher with OpenGL® support,
1024x768 24bit screen resolution minimum, sound card,
10MB free disk space and at least 256 MB RAM. Requires
external 3D application for creation of models in LightWave®
Object (.LWO) format and for rendering animations from
Morph Mixer or Motion Designer (.MDD) animation file
format - LightWave® 3D 7.5 or higher recommended.

And I think this was Mac's last post on the topic of an OSX port:

***** Re: OSX version
Reply #9 on: Dec 1st, 2005, 4:17pm

The digital monk

Many apologies for the lack of responsiveness on my part. Many reasons, but none excuse me not getting an answer to you.

Actually, the happiest news on the OSX front I've seen in quite awhile is this page:
http://darwine.opendarwin.org/faq.php

My original plan for porting to OSX was to build my own minimalist implementation of the Win32 API that just had enough for my code to compile and run on the OSX. Fortunately, it sounds like the DarWine guys have already exceeded that point.

Now, even with a Win32 library to link against, and Perl scripts that will patch up certain cross-platform issues, this is still not going to be a "push the button and it builds" process. But the goal is a lot closer than I thought it was just a few days ago...

The aspects I expect to have the most difficulty with (assuming DarWine works reasonably well) are:

* Sound -- I currently use DirectSound, and will need to translate the code to OSX's low-latency sound system and work out any timing and synchronization issues that arise.
* OpenGL -- Actually, this shouldn't be too bad. Since OpenGL is the same on both platforms, it's just the startup code that will need tweaking.
* Help files -- Didn't even think about this until fairly recently. Fortunately, the existing help files are constructed from a collection of HTML files, so I should be able to release those as part of the OSX build and just view them through Safari.

I will try to make some time to play with DarWine as soon as possible and see how far I can get with it. As soon as I have anything working at all, I will start presenting a "beta trial", which will be save disabled but will contain whatever portion of the other functionality I've managed to get working. For the initial builds, I'll probably just be hacking huge chunks of code out until it starts to build, and then trying to reintegrate pieces one at a time.

Thank you for the patience, and sorry for taking so long.
Mac

Maybe someday . . .

To the original poster's request, I've used both. Overall, I slightly favor Magpie, but support and effort on the program is a little irregular.

-T