PDA

View Full Version : n00b having trouble with modelling, you guys help me?

focus3d
08-15-2005, 09:57 AM
Okay, I have to make a very short logo animation, nothing too difficult, the only problem I am having is modelling the shape of part of it. The image I am trying to model is supplied below. I have an eps which I have imported of the shape outline and have applied the texture that you can see as an eps.

The problem I am having is regarding bevelling. I want to create a more 3D object than just the 2D eps outline with the texture applied to give it depth.

How do I go from the 2D shape to a nicer 3D object so that light reflects off the sides etc? I also want to keep the texture mapped on the object. Also how do I increase the geometry on the object (at the moment it is one polygon) so I can stick some bones in it and animate it? (it's gonna be the body of a little figure that waves at the camera).

I have the 3D Garage courseware but I still can't sus this out. Am I better off modelling from scratch and forgetting the eps?

Any help is greatly appreciated as I only have 3 days and am panicing slightly!

Cheers
focus3d

Dodgy
08-15-2005, 10:26 AM
Use the EPS as a background and model from scratch. It looks like two crosses, one inside the other, so modelling it should be a doddle...

WCameron
08-15-2005, 12:04 PM
yeah what Dodgy said. Remmember with Lightwaves 'nurbs you can model it squareish then push the TAB button to smooth the edges over - then freeze it if required.

so load the eps, set it as a background layer, drop some points to give you a good outline, polygon it, then bevel upward and inward once or twice, then slice up the topmost polygon into Quad poly sections (Remmember this when your laying down the initial points along the EPS guide, set it so laterthey all form neat 4 point polygons - it'll 'nurb better later), then hit TAB.

and yes you can bone it and deform it later, just like any pther piece of geometry.

- Will.

focus3d
08-15-2005, 01:15 PM
Thanks guys, that's a great help. :)