PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Still can't get bones right.....

ece3k
08-15-2005, 08:08 AM
Hello,
Anyone out there know how to get bones in Layout to be parented without rotating their pivot rotations? I am starting with skelegons all rotated properly, but then when I parent, the pivot rotation changes. I tried RPR and BT_RPR (shift-p) and still cannot figure it out.
Please help...I am on a big deadline. I can send model if needed.
Thanks,
ERik
[email protected]

Surrealist.
08-15-2005, 08:55 PM
If you could post a screen grab it would be easier to get an idea of what your set up is and help :)

toby
08-16-2005, 01:49 AM
If they're skelegons, why don't you parent them in Modeler?

ece3k
08-16-2005, 07:05 AM
When I parent them in modeller I get the same thing when they are converted....they take up the pivot rotations of the parents. No difference.
Erik

MonroePoteet
08-16-2005, 10:08 AM
Maybe toggle Parent-In-Place in the main options panel? Shortcut "o".

mTp

ece3k
08-16-2005, 03:10 PM
ok,
Here is a screenshot. All the bones should have a red arrow going the same way. But when I parented the horses' left forearm to its arm, the red arrow moves.
I have parent in place on, which keeps the bone where it should be, if it is turned off, the bone jumps away from where it should be inside the mesh.
I need a "rotate in place" button.
Erik

Surrealist.
08-16-2005, 03:32 PM
Do this:

Create all your bones in modeler, create the hiarchy there by drawing out the bone chains as they are to be parented.

make sure the bones are in the same layer as the object and take it into layout.

Convert skellegons.

Now it's just a fact that your rotations will be askew but your bones will be in place as they should be.

You either live with it as is and use the various co-ordinate systmes to animate your bones. The choices are world, parent, local. Switching these will switch the apparent rotations of the bones.

Or you can go in and fix the bank rotations of the bones one by one. You are not by the way rotating the pivot. You don't want to do that you need to actually rotate the bone, then record the rotation.

This is involved and I don't have the time to explain it all but here is the basic:

For instance you fix thebank of the top bone and the ones below it rotate out of position. Usuing a cloned object as your reference for bone positions you can rotate them back into position.

This entire process is outlined in Timopthy Ablee's Character animation.

In anycase, once you have fixed all of the bone rotations , then record the rest rotation and then hit r to set the rest postion and activate the bone.

This is involved. So many things depend on others and sequecce is key. The best idea is to get a tutorial of rigging someplace and follow it. As I said I used TA book . But that is only one method. But it does work and I recomend it.

BTW I am not a big fan of the bone edit tools in LW Layout. I have found them full of bugs on my system.

Maybe someone can point you to a tutorial

toby
08-16-2005, 11:34 PM
:agree:

I actually do rotate the pivot points, but it can be risky. There are instances where it will work fine until you clear and reload the scene, then you find your rig in a huge mess. I'm going to try Albee's way now.