PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again - more Spline Patch questions...

ChillWill Graphix
08-14-2005, 01:58 AM
Hey Guys,

Did another spline tutorial - a spoon this time. I'm attaching two lwo's this time. First one is the spline cage and the second one is the patched version. Something went wrong with the spoon handle end - think I split the point. Anyway, in regards to the two ends - should I weld those points before patching? Or patch and then weld all of the point pairs? Thank you in advance - as usual!

Later - Mike

Lewis
08-14-2005, 08:32 AM
Hi !

I checked your slines and patched version and all is OK. Nothing went wrong on patched version. Your spline cage have some open ends (looks like spike) on both sides (front and rear of spoon).

But I'm writing this to ask you WHY do you use splines for such simple object ?? You spend too much time in producing splines and you could be already finsihed if you made it with different technique. There is no need to use splines at every situation. This object is suitable for SubDs (SubPatches) and it's just 4-5 minutes of work (even less than that). I'm attching you File i made very quick and used your spoon splines just as background layer to see how deep it needs to go and overall measures. I made LOW poly cage version and one (higher poly) with Metaform (just once) in case you need it more smooth from very close camera shots.

cheers

ChillWill Graphix
08-14-2005, 08:41 AM
I'm using splines because it is a new technique that I am not familiar with. And it was what the tutorial called for. I am trying to get exposed to as many modeling methods as possible - and it would probably be easier to model a spoon with splines that something a lot more complicated. I'm attaching my updated patched spline cage - the last one had an odd spot in it. Now all I need help on/to figure out is how to close up those ends and make those areas look right. Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out - I'll check out your file later. I totally understand what you mean about your way being quicker, but I'm working through this series of tutorials so that I can get exposed to other methods. Thank you again!

Later - Mike

P.S. Layers are pretty well labeled.

toby
08-14-2005, 02:19 PM
Lewis made the best modeling tutorial you will ever see. It's the reason I can model now, and I only finished half of it. It teaches you splines and subpatches, and it's all easy if you follow all the steps, he doesn't leave out anything, hundreds of full-size images, and he never bores you with things you don't need. Everyone who wants to model needs to get it.

I've lost the link Lewis, is the Mustang tutorial still for sale? Can you post a link to the CD?

Lewis
08-14-2005, 02:32 PM
Hi Mike !

I understand you are trying to learn splines but what I'm saying is that this type of object (spoon) isn't best type of model to learn them :(. With that simple model splines are unnecesary complicating and you could learn to hate them (splines) at end :). You can FIX your spline cage by welding/merging two points on each end so it would look better when patching and won't have tha topen end. Also don't forget to hit merge points after patching individual section so that overlaping points (on joints) become ONE and model will be smoother. Also it sems that you used too many patched sections - 3*3 or 4*4 would be quite fine and you probably used defaults 10*10 ? Can you send me link of that tutorial series you are trying ?

cheers

P.S Hi Toby - YES My tutorial is still live at LWG ;).

HTML version of Spline Patching Mustang Cobra
http://www.lwg3d.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14554

PDF version of Spline Patching Mustang Cobra distributed by LWG
http://www.lwg3d.org/v3/storeitem6.htm

toby
08-14-2005, 03:27 PM
HTML version of Spline Patching Mustang Cobra
http://www.lwg3d.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14554

Whoa! You're still offering it for free?

Hurry people, before they change their minds -

ChillWill Graphix
08-14-2005, 03:33 PM
Hey guys,

I'll look into that CD. The tutorials that I was working on came in a book by Peter Ratner called 3-D Human Modeling and Animation. I am still learning about mesh density and whatnot. I have several LW books - two of which are Dan Ablan's Inside LightWave 7 & 8 books. Think I am going to start getting back into those. Dan's Inside LW8 book has a car tutorial in it, too. I will go back and experiment some more with the spoon tutorial - and the knife one that I posted about prior. Every time somebody posts some helpful information about what I am trying to do I pick up a little more information that I can go back at it with. Thank you all for your informative and helpful feedback! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Later - Mike

ChillWill Graphix
08-15-2005, 08:22 PM
Hey guys - well, I finally nailed this down. I got a lot of really good help from this forum, the LW forum at CGTalk, and from SpinQuad. Attached is the current .lwo and .jpg. Thank you for all of the help guys - I'm on my way ;-)

Later - Mike

Lewis
08-16-2005, 01:27 PM
I'm glad you did it :).