PDA

View Full Version : The positive things about Vt4.5 thread

Seti Orion
08-13-2005, 01:15 PM
Is the "No Video Signal"..."Potential Driver Lockup" fixed?

Is vt 4 stable?

Overall a great update?

Can we get some reports please

Whelkn
08-13-2005, 05:34 PM
Its great so far--the new look is nice--Aswell as the new features---been playing around with the ivga thing--fun---havent had a crash yet--lightwave 8.3--is great--Wish it was 8.5 though ;-) --Tested out CG post last night it is alot more stable on my machine!! WHich is a big thing for me as it was sooo sloow before---Guess its time to start editing my Demo reel---

Jeremy

Paul Lara
08-13-2005, 05:42 PM
lightwave 8.3--is great--Wish it was 8.5 though ;-)

Well, let's see what happens after 8.5 launches, Jeremy.

Whelkn
08-13-2005, 11:28 PM
Sweet :thumbsup: --Sounds good to me---paul--

mnbear
08-13-2005, 11:49 PM
I just installed the 4.5 (w/lightwave 8.3) patch. The install went smoothly and after I first launched the VT 4.5 software, it asked me to install the new core. the FIRST attempt at writing the new core failed with several errors (It took about an hour to "verify" before it failed) The second time, it rewrote the core and verified in just a couple of minutes.

As alot of folks on here have mentioned, the first thing you notice when you launch 4.5 is the nifty new splash. But what I was really waiting for was to see how the interface ran, and if I would encounter the dreaded "driver lockup" error that has plagued me. I have been running VT 4.5 for 6 hours, and have not had that happen ONCE. HURRAY!! Good work, newtek, whatever you did, solved that problem for me!

As other people are saying the interface seems snappier (I've been running it on a P4 3.4ghz processor). The only hickup I encountered was when I attempted to play an HD clip on the timeline using a intermediary codec. Ironically, these played pretty well on 4.0 (given that I could play them without having a driver lockup issue, lol) but on 4.5 they hung the system up and caused my computer to reboot. It has happened consistently when I play the clips, but frankly, as long as the rest of the software works, I have no problem not using that particular Codec.

I decided to run two hours of video (Don't ask what I was converting from a VHS tape... LOL) to see if it would conk out as did version 4.0 fairly consistently. It captured the entire tape w/no problems. It also recognized my firewire device (Sony HDR-FX1 when configured for DV rather than HDV output).

Its 1am, Im exhausted (I've been up since 5am) but cant go to bed 'til I check out all the other new stuff, next up is CG. Just thought you guys would want to know how my upgrade to 4.5 went.

Jim

ScorpioProd
08-14-2005, 12:44 AM
Well, the 4.5 upgrade went fine for me.

But realize, 4.0 was stable for me, except for the CG.

So the main thing I've tested in 4.5 is the CG, and I can't get it to crash. :thumbsup:

I like the new color scheme for the skins. I just wish the inital splash screen wasn't split across my two monitors, where I really can't read it. It's harder to read it split than the 4.0 one was, probably cause it's narrower.

Rich Deustachio
08-14-2005, 12:11 PM
I can't wait to install 4.5 but I have to wait because I am in the middle of a project and don't want to take the chance on having problems. It sounds like it is a big improvement for most so I will be looking forward to installing it this coming week.

Seti Orion
08-14-2005, 04:21 PM
sounds like it's sounds official

the 2 big issues with vt4 have been worked out

No Video Signal Potential Driver Lockup is fixed

and cg is now stable

can anyone else confirm?

what about overall stability?

I get my new super machine next week cant wait.

Jim Capillo
08-14-2005, 04:24 PM
can anyone else confirm?

what about overall stability?

Confirmed :thumbsup:

Stability is very good..... no crashes here yet ! :compbeati

pnelson
08-14-2005, 06:27 PM
The Video Marketing team has spent WEEKS trying to crash the CG and I have never seen it crash during my tests!

I did many of the "bad things"..

Loaded CG Project into both CG Player and the CG.. Assing CG Player to DSK.. Bring a graphic up... Using the same project, edit the LIVE page.. Save project over the original project..

While the CG Player is live, reload the updated project.. BAM.. The live CG changes before your very eyes without a crash..

We have really been Hammering it and I'm PUMPED with our results!

:thumbsup:

jport
08-14-2005, 08:33 PM
like rich i'm in the middle of a project too. so haven't installed 4.5 yet.

has anyone tried to load an old 4.0 project that is at least 1hr. to 2hrs. long. crashing??? super long load time??? unable to load???

for me this seems to be my problem every time i upgrade VT, older project files sometimes don't come up. but VT4.5 looks and sounds promising from all the reports i've been following.

one more thing does anyone know if someones figured a way to use the new codec on 3rd party software, AE in particular?

ScorpioProd
08-14-2005, 10:04 PM
Well, it's always good to finish a project before upgrading, but...

I jumped right in with it and I loaded a 2 hour DV clip based project I was in the middle of without problems.

Like I've said elsewhere, the changes from VT[4] SP1 to a point upgrade of 4.5 are MUCH less than for a full version upgrade. I can't really think of ANY changes to the number of variables in the control tree, so you won't hit a lot of the problems that people had in the past moving from one full version to another.

Just be aware you need Bob Tasa's updated plug-ins for 4.5, cause if your projects have his plug-ins from the VT[4] SP1 version, THAT could cause you problems if you try to open that in 4.5.

eon5
08-15-2005, 10:02 AM
any news about digital audio, digital audio levels, vtedit digital audio import export & yadaa yadaa ?

Alamovideo
08-15-2005, 01:14 PM
Upgrade to 4.5 went smoothly. It updated my core from 01a4 to 01a6. I unzipped the iVGA into the VT4 folder per Paul. Opened everything, have LW 8.3. Like the instant preview on the Title template. Aura opened, DDR, Ted, capture and CG Designer all look fine. Found the new DV 25 codec. Haven't done any driving yet, but looks really good.

:bowdown: and :beerchug: to Team Newtek.

Dan Hong
08-15-2005, 03:28 PM
Steady as a rock in Central California. Wow, you guys really outdid yourselves this time. Although I haven't had too many complaints with SP1, I've gotta say everything is very responsive, templates are very cool and the iVGA thing is MONEY!!! Speaking of which, where do I send the check, and, um, how much was the upgrade? NewTek rocks, Globesmasher walks. (Oh, and there'll be a little something extra in your Xmas stockings this year).

BrentYoung
08-15-2005, 05:06 PM
Installed 4.5 and used it for the weekend services. It hasn't gotten much play on the boards but we love the new cg tile thing, much easier for our lower third needs (when someone tells us 5 minutes before that a speaker has changed).

Much quicker response on the switcher and the iVGA worked great. (frame rate wasn't too fast over our Ether10 network but we can fix that). The screens looked great. (you might want to add a blur filter to the vga input to fix flicker issues)

I'll get into a big editing project this week so I'll let you know if the batch capture issues have been worked out.

Thanks Newtek

Ivan
08-15-2005, 05:34 PM
I did some batch capture using DV deck control bringing it in YC to the new Newtek Codec and it works great. It seems like they have solved at least some issues with it. I haven't tried everything yet but what I've done so far works.

Very happy that I now have a compressed codec that the audio stays in sync.

Disappointed that they have not fixed the strobing if you reduce the speed and do something else in Control Tree. Seems strange that it doesn't strobe when you reduce the speed but if you do anything else in Control Tree when the speed has been changed it strobes .

Ivan

cholo
08-15-2005, 06:18 PM
Well, today I must report that after working the heck out of Ted 4.5 with multiple layers, chroma, CG, keyframing, etc... for a whole day non-stop (not even for lunch) It failed to crash even once. Good stuff :)

Rich Deustachio
08-15-2005, 06:43 PM
Installed 4.5, all went well so far. How do we use the iVGA thing?

Whelkn
08-15-2005, 07:11 PM
You put the ivga program on any computer on your network and run it--then go to your VT[4] system and click the VGA module from the VT[4] interface menu and you should see all computers running ivga in the drop down menu. You can then use it as a switcher source--Easy Peasy :D

Jeremy

mikkowilson
08-15-2005, 07:56 PM
So can you use *more than one* iVGA source in the switcher? simultaniously?

And someone tell me again, can the (an?) iVGA source be the DSK signal?

- Mikko

sywitt
08-15-2005, 08:47 PM
I got a lot of work done today. I had a very complex 5 min piece, another complex 15 min piece that were near completion when I upgraded, and 1 30sec. spot that I did from scratch. I didn't have a single problem.

I ran VT while I was rendering a LW scene and used Mirage, all at the same time. I used CG, did some audio capture, moved a bunch of clips, etc. The projects came through flawlessly. I was able to 'beta' draft both of the long pieces and finish the 30 second spot.

My only problem was trying to render an rtv anim from LW 7.5. I was only getting a still frame for some reason. I was able to render from the new VTDV codec. It looked terrific.

Paul Lara
08-16-2005, 09:20 AM
So can you use *more than one* iVGA source in the switcher? simultaniously?

Not simultaneously, Mikko. You can, however, switch cleanly beteween multiple computers running iVGA.

And someone tell me again, can the iVGA source be the DSK signal?

No, but you can key that source over live video on its way to the projector, using the VGA keyer controls.

Ross-g
08-17-2005, 04:49 AM
Pal install went smoothly nothing bad to report so far.
I have 4 ddrs running simultanious loops one with alpha channell logo in top corner.
All running and switching fine with no stutters, in 4.1 logo would struggle.
:thumbsup:

nelsonm
08-17-2005, 10:20 PM
Hi all,

How many of you have installed vt4.5 on top of a TV3 card?

If so... have you had any problems?

Seti Orion
08-18-2005, 01:28 AM
so is anyone else confirm any positive things about
vt 4.5?

is batch capture fixed?
No Video Signal"..."Potential Driver Lockup" fixed?

my system comes in a few days no then i will report

inquisitive
08-18-2005, 01:48 AM
Hi all,

How many of you have installed vt4.5 on top of a TV3 card?

If so... have you had any problems?

I installed vt4.5 on a VT2 card (same card i am told) didnt do any projects though, just opened an old vt4 project and it worked fine.

What I noticed however is the sound level, it seems win2k system sound level is not equal to VT4.5 internal sound levels.
Before if you lowered the sound level in VT4 it would lower the level in windows, and viceversa. Now i have full volume in windows but its not as loud as it should be so i have to run vt4.5 and up the master volume within vt4.5 in order to hear windows system sounds louder.
It seems that the volume of qt imbedded in webpages as well as windows media is not as loud as playing ddr's inside of vt4.5 - I use headphones so this has me puzzled.

ScorpioProd
08-18-2005, 02:39 AM
I installed vt4.5 on a VT2 card (same card i am told) didnt do any projects though, just opened an old vt4 project and it worked fine.

What I noticed however is the sound level, it seems win2k system sound level is not equal to VT4.5 internal sound levels.
Before if you lowered the sound level in VT4 it would lower the level in windows, and viceversa. Now i have full volume in windows but its not as loud as it should be so i have to run vt4.5 and up the master volume within vt4.5 in order to hear windows system sounds louder.
It seems that the volume of qt imbedded in webpages as well as windows media is not as loud as playing ddr's inside of vt4.5 - I use headphones so this has me puzzled.

Yes, same here! I am so happy to have you confirm the same sound level drop in my Win2k application sounds with this new version! I thought I was losing my hearing! And note that one of the affected programs is DVD Workshop 2! :compbeati

inquisitive
08-18-2005, 04:26 AM
Yes, same here! I am so happy to have you confirm the same sound level drop in my Win2k application sounds with this new version! I thought I was losing my hearing! And note that one of the affected programs is DVD Workshop 2! :compbeati

Well then, I am so happy you Eugene confirmed that too, now i know for sure its not me :lol:

I am not absolutely sure, but it seemed to me that sounds would be lower in some instances until i ran vt4.5 then after i closed the toaster the sound level would be higher (at least in relation to windows media).

I couldnt test any other applications, i had a brand new install of win2k (was troubleshooting my card) for a different issue - now on its way to NT.

Rich Deustachio
08-18-2005, 01:11 PM
Same here on my W2000 system.

nelsonm
08-18-2005, 02:34 PM
Hi all,

I should have noted that i am running vt3 software with the vt2 card under wxp pro.

From the response in the forums... I think i will upgrade to the 4.5 software since it does appear more stable than the vt3 software - especially the CG, but i think i will wait to upgrade the vt hardware until there is a significant reason to do so - like a borisfx type realtime dve engine or even better - HD!

Ivan
08-18-2005, 03:40 PM
I'm running VT 4.5 on a VT2 card with WXP and overall I am quite happy with it. There are a few issues but some may just be config issues. Mostly I am happy with the upgrade and like the responsiveness. I did have some issues with the video card I'm using but with Paul's help I think I'm ready to move on trouble free.

I like the iVGA feature and out to Monitor/Projector. I have a sneaky feeling the up-res of SD video to Monitor out hints at HD but that may just be wishful thinking.

Ivan

mnbear
08-18-2005, 03:45 PM
Ivan,

I was thinking the same thing, but... I was too afraid it would jinx it if I posted that. LOL

I'm running 4.5 on a VT4 using a Pentium 3.2, no problems to report, other than the forementioned reboot everytime I use an HD intermediary codec. :)

Jim

P.S. Barry K. from A/V Solutions is building me a new kick ***** dual xeon system that I'm foaming at the mouth for. :)

nelsonm
08-18-2005, 04:18 PM
Thanks guys

... umm - seems like i'm aways talking to guys... are there any girls - ah - i mean ladies - wielding VT's on this forum?

In any case, i will be just my luck to get the 4.0/4.5 upgrade just at the time that Newtek announces VT5 or VTHD or VTHD Pro or something. :foreheads

mnbear
08-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Sheesh! What are you saying? That Ivan, I, and the gang aren't Good looking enough for you? You obviously havent seen Ivan after one of the wild VT user group meetings...

As for buying a VT4 and then Newtek announcing the VTHD PRO, one can only hope... thats the way of the world, I am fully expecting that the second I pick up my Dual Xeon that Intel will announce and immediately release the quad-core XEON Platinum that will do better than real-time full HD quality renders. LOL We can dream, eh?

Jim

Thanks guys

... umm - seems like i'm aways talking to guys... are there any girls - ah - i mean ladies - wielding VT's on this forum?

In any case, i will be just my luck to get the 4.0/4.5 upgrade just at the time that Newtek announces VT5 or VTHD or VTHD Pro or something. :foreheads

Bob Clark
08-18-2005, 05:49 PM
Well I've noticed a BIG difference in the way 4.5 handles stills. I've been doing these picture montages for years, they're our bread and butter. I'm very pleased to say I've been building a project with nearly 200 pix and a few video clips along with those famous cheezy Toaster transitions with hardly a hiccup! This sort of thing would have had me pulling my hair out even with 4.1. I typically do them on our Velocity ... but it may be time to retire the old V3D and commit to VTNT. Good work folks!

Bob C.