PDA

View Full Version : Random Loss of Y/C signal

TRCC
08-13-2005, 11:27 AM
With the update of VT4.5 I now loose my camera feeds.

I run three cameras all Y/C. They worked fine before 4.5, but now I will preview a camera and the input is black. Maybe 5 min later it will return, and another camera will be black. I know its not the camera as we have to use our back-up system untill we can remove 4.5.

Any suggestions? I would really appreciate any help, I like the new features but am dissapointed that I have more drastic bugs than before.

I have run auto-configure, The system ran a core update, I can get Composite signal from what I know, but on my y/c signals they just go black.

Dual 3.06 Xeon
500gb SCSI Raid
2GB of ram.

I now get this message:
"There has been a problem communicating with the VT4 drivers. This might be caused by errors in a previous time that you ran the software, or a failure to communicate with the VT4 hardware. Try rebooting your computer, and reseat the toaster. You should also check that your VT4 drivers are fully installed and running correctly."

CTerrell
08-21-2005, 03:52 PM
We ran a live broadcast today and had the same thing happen live. We found this morning that if you chose a camera you weren't going to switch to and then chose the correct preview feed, the feed would be there.

I came back this evening and even that is not working on occasion. I would rather deal with CG crashes myself. If you find out a work-around, please let me know.

Charles
Galloway U.M.C.

BrentYoung
08-21-2005, 08:43 PM
Same Issue Here.

We changed our feeds to another input and they were there. Came back the next day and they were gone again. Switched them back and they were there.

David Chittick
08-21-2005, 10:04 PM
Glad to see it wasn't just me!
Same problem. I'm playing musical chairs with my component inputs.

Jim Capillo
08-21-2005, 10:11 PM
I'd try uninstalling, doing a registry cleaning (regedit) and then reinstall. There might be something being left behind that is causing problems.

Keith Nealy
08-22-2005, 02:37 AM
Are you using the SX8 by any chance?

Keith

David Chittick
08-22-2005, 09:09 AM
Yes, I'm using the SX8. Has this become a problem for 4.5?

Paul Lara
08-22-2005, 11:09 AM
Thanks, guys!
Expect our engineers to contact some of you for additional specifics on this issue.

Keith Nealy
08-22-2005, 12:58 PM
You might want to search this forum and the safe harbor forum about the problems with using the SX8 with the VT4 and above regarding switching.

There is a problem in the circuitry that causes similar anomalies. It is fixed by cutting pins out of a VGA cable between the VT4 card and the SX8 .
See the posts for more information.

If you are choking on this... you are not alone.

Keith

Dennis O'Neal
08-22-2005, 08:38 PM
Newtek Tech Help gave me a great idea today. There should be four (4) HD15 cables connected between the VT4 cards and the SX8. Those of us that had VT3 and upgraded to VT4 just used the 3 existing HD15 cables. The fourth cable is a "stereo audio cable" that connects with two mini trs connectors at the VT4 card and a HD15 connector at the SX8. There is an unused HD15 on the expansion connector for the VT4 card that should be connected to the SX8 in place of the "stereo audio cable" currently used. This solves a critical communications problem that was created by the VT4.5 upgrade that uses signal paths that previous versions did not use.

I removed the old cable and added the new HD15 cable and the system worked as advertised.

Keith Nealy
08-22-2005, 09:48 PM
Are you saying that all you did was install the HD15 cable and things worked Okay?

Did you have to cut out any pins on the HD15 cable?

thanks for your help,

aloha,

Keith

Dennis O'Neal
08-23-2005, 09:12 PM
I didn't cut any connections in the cable. I did question wheither or not I needed to do anything else and was told that that cable would take care of it all. So far, so good. Just to clarify, we do have VT4 hardware and the SX8 on the system. When we did the upgrade to 4.5, the auto upgrade function in the software did upgrade code on both the VT4 card and the SX8.

Dick Nelson
08-24-2005, 09:38 AM
We are having the same problem. But we already have all four cables connecting the computer to the SX-8. We just bought the new hardware this summer, except for the SX-8, and it was installed that way. So clearly there's some other issue.

I'm really furious about this. We're on our third Toaster -- the first being an Amiga version -- and I can assure you it will be the last, unless NewTek can FINALLY make this product market-ready. In my opinion it hasn't reached that point yet. We're plagued with constant problems and always promised that the next upgrade will fix them.

Aussie
08-24-2005, 04:14 PM
Please check that the audio cable to SX-8 is NO LONGER the one with mini-connectors. It must be 15pin connectors at BOTH ends.
- oz

Dick Nelson
08-24-2005, 07:45 PM
I called tech support this morning and we confirmed that all our cables are correct. Tech support suggested that our computer might be overheating so we installed two additional fans. Today during our newscast taping the problem was worse than ever.

Jim Capillo
08-25-2005, 04:59 AM
I called tech support this morning and we confirmed that all our cables are correct. Tech support suggested that our computer might be overheating so we installed two additional fans. Today during our newscast taping the problem was worse than ever.

Dick, is your system dealer built? If so, has he(she) been involved with the problems?

Exactly what is happening? Are you just losing the cameras or are there other things going on? And lastly, please list your computer configuration.

Jim_C
08-25-2005, 07:02 AM

Power supply going/is bad, and adding fans just made it worse?

Bad psu can cause all kinds of problems.

Dick Nelson
08-25-2005, 08:14 AM
Systems specs:
- Super Micro X6DA8-G2 motherboard
- Intel 3.2 Xeon 800mhz FSB, CPU (x 2)
- Server case w/645 watt power supply
- Windows XP Professional
- DDR memory, 512 MB (x 2)
- Western Digital 80 GB hard drive (x 2)
- GeForce FX5500 PCX dual display card
- Samsung DVD /CD player
- Microwise Firewire 800 PCI card
- Sony DVD+/- RW DVD burner
Huge Systems HMV U320R 1250 GB RAID storage

Yes, the system is dealer-built. Yes, he's involved.
The sources we are losing are those that come through the SX-8--cameras, tape decks and the video output of a second (older) Toaster.

In SOME cases we've found that turning off power to the source (e.g. camera) and turning it back on will restore the video, but not always.

Paul Lara
08-25-2005, 09:17 AM
Update

I have e-mailed several of you clarifying questions.
It would be wonderful if you could repspond to those as soon as possible; we have likely identified the cause, but I need to hear from you to validate our findings, please.

Thanks!

Dick Nelson
08-25-2005, 09:42 AM
Paul...
I did not get any email from you. Perhaps I wasn't supposed to, but I didn't want you to think I was ignoring it.

Ross-g
08-25-2005, 09:56 AM
i use my vt on large music performance events in scotland and hoped that vt 4.5 would solve a problem i had highlighted in the forums around 2 months ago, I find that the sx 8 bob will randomly disappear sometimes requiring several reboots and or kill rtme to jog it back into life, so far when i have been using it i have had plenty of time to sort out the prob, however i know the day may be coming when i miss a showtime (not a nice feeling) all the cables are seated fully, this is a self built vt3 system/card upgraded to vt 4.5
In all other respects I am now very happy with its performance and look forward to pushing it more with a higher specced computer, but it gives pause for thought when a basic function is an issue, ie the input and output of the video signal.
I think you have a great product Newtek...

Marty01
08-26-2005, 09:17 AM
I was just wondering if there is going to be a patch for this problem. I have
a SX8 that I'm ready to install but don't won't to do it if I may have this problem. Thanks

vdeoguy
08-26-2005, 12:49 PM
I am a new user of the VT 4 and just had a brand new system built. It sounds like this is a problem that is going to be corrected, and is directly related to the SX-8? Does the problem manifest itself when you have the RS-8 disconnected?

TAV Media
08-30-2005, 04:29 PM
I get the same problem as well. We have the VT4 hardware/vt4.5 software and RS-8, and SX-8.

We're using 8 Component inputs. If an odd numbered input previews black, then the even numbers show correctly. If the even numbers preview black, then the odd numbers show correctly. It alternates liekt that and can be frustrating at times.

So, Paul, if I were selecting input 2 and it was black, I could go to 1 and know that it would show correctly. Other than this, I have no complaints on VT4.5 so far. My machine was running awful on VT3, but the upgrade to 4 has been worth it.

Side note: I'm loving IVGA too! :tcicon:

Paul Lara
08-30-2005, 04:46 PM
I get the same problem as well. We have the VT4 hardware/vt4.5 software and RS-8, and SX-8.

Question: Which audio cable are you using...the DB15 to dual mini-pin, or the DB15-DB15? If you're still using the old audio cable, try something for me please...

Use your video out cable in its place, connecting the audio on SX-8 to the audio DB15 connector on the VT[4] expansion slot. Does that resolve your problem?

Thanks, TAV!

TAV Media
08-31-2005, 12:04 PM
Use your video out cable in its place, connecting the audio on SX-8 to the audio DB15 connector on the VT[4] expansion slot. Does that resolve your problem?

Thanks Paul! Works like a charm!!!:thumbsup: Explain briefly why that fixes it if you dont mind.

EanJay
08-31-2005, 01:41 PM
Thanks Paul! Works like a charm!!!:thumbsup: Explain briefly why that fixes it if you dont mind.

Hey Paul, a diagram might be nice!

EanJay

vdeoguy
08-31-2005, 05:03 PM
So I should have posted earlier, but we have been really enjoying using this outstanding sysem. You know when you first hook things up you may need a bit of an education... or is it experience? I wonder. So anyway I digress. It would appear that I did in fact hook things up wrong and swaped the cable marked audio with the one marked video. So definite dope slap for me. Everything seems to be working great! Keep up the outstanding work!

TRCC
09-01-2005, 11:05 AM
Tried to switch to a DB 15 to DB 15 cable, Did resolve the poblem of signal dropping out, BUT now the BOB is freaking out, cameras look good then camera 3 (input 3 y/c) drops in signal, white drops from 100 to around 60 on the VT scope and there is scrolling bars through out the signal. I tested to cable and removed it from the BOB and the black input on the BOB has interference on it now, istead of just black. It was nice to see 4.5 for a few minutes but the system works still using 4.0 SP 1

lgg
09-11-2005, 05:26 AM
Hi All,

Just like to add my name to this problem.

We have also upgraded to VT4.5, and had the same problems with losing composite inputs.

We are using SX8, will the VGA cable thing solve this problem?

To emphasize what has been said its pretty bad that the basic purpose for buying this product (LIVE SWITCH) is not working.

Paul

CTerrell
09-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Paul,
In speaking with tech support, we were looking at 2 weeks for a fix for this problem (not the original black prog out problem . . . but after that fix with the cord swap, the proc amp prob).

Any word on a fix date for this? We had to downgrade back to 4.0 until this is resolved and I would love to get back to 4.5.

Thanks,

Charles
Jackson, MS

David Chittick
09-25-2005, 10:45 PM
I can deal with this Y/C problem until there is a "fix". CG...well its always been buggy. Its the audio conforming and rendering that seems to get progressively worse that needs an immediate fix. I don't want to go back to 4.0 either but it may be the only solution short of jumping to an edit system that has a trim and drag window. (Still hate cutting long clips on VTedit)
Any idea when a fix is coming?

Paul Lara
09-26-2005, 07:25 AM
There is a 4.51 patch in progress, and I'll check to see if we've figured out this conforming issue.

Scott Bates
09-26-2005, 10:30 AM
I hope the answer's yes Paul .... :)

VideoFixIt
09-27-2005, 03:35 PM
We have been running 4.0 SP1 for about 6 months, 4 cameras and a single computer feed with very few problems. After a 4.5 upgrade we had a random loss of Y/C signal. We started off with VT3 and up-graded to VT4 using the same cables between the toaster and the SX-8. We changed the Audio cable with a HD15 at both ends and the problem solved. THIS FIX SEEMS TO BE A GOOD ONE.

Good luck guys,

Paul Lara
09-29-2005, 09:01 AM
THIS FIX SEEMS TO BE A GOOD ONE.

Yes, that's been our suspicion, and thanks for verifying this for us!

TRCC
10-14-2005, 10:52 PM
Has there been any updates on when this new fix is going to come out? I have been on the phone countless hours with TECH (gil) has been helping us out alot but we are seemingly stumped on both sides. I sent in my VT[4] Card and still same problem

Input 3 after a few minutes dropes by at least %20 in signal, never to return to normal. We resolved the random loss of signal with an HB15 cable but now this. Neither TECH or us can figure it out! AHHH FIX IT PLEASE! Im getting heat to find another solution, (expensive one) a new switcher.

HELP!!!!

Martin Dolbear
10-15-2005, 05:44 PM
We changed the Audio cable with a HD15 at both ends and the problem solved. THIS FIX SEEMS TO BE A GOOD ONE.

For some...not for all.

We are using:
VT4.5 with a new card
SX8
AlienWare Area 51
3.2GHz Pentium 4
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon 9800XT
WindowsXP Pro

We run a component level signal to inputs 1, 2, and 3.

We have replaced the audio cable with the recommended VGA cable and we still see a frequent drop of chroma from our component video signal. There is sometimes a peculiar relationship with the proc amp preset store #1 and that loss of chroma. Sometimes the restarting of the whole system does the trick and sometimes not. Sometimes we have to run the Auto Configure app to get the chroma back. Since we use this system in a live environment, it can be a bit of a pain. :compbeati

Martin Dolbear

TRCC
10-16-2005, 08:38 AM
Martin, glad to see Im not the only one with this problem. I dont run Component, but I do run YC, same thing, the Chroma drops frequently, usually a startup will fix it but like you said we use the VT strictly for live, nothing else, and obviously I can just shut down during the service.

Luke

VT[4] Card
SX-8
RS-8
I WILL Dual P. Xeon 3.02
2 GB ram
288 GB SCSI RAID VIDEO
200 GB IDE DVI
GEFORCE 5200

Ivan
10-16-2005, 09:20 AM
Just a thought, I experience the "random" loss of YC but I don't have a BOB. I do know that you don't have to do a complete shut down to get it back. If you shut down VT and kill winrtme you can restart VT and the YC will be back. I have seen some systems where you need to run winrtme twice to get this to work.

Ivan

TRCC
10-16-2005, 11:47 AM
The problem with that is during live, anytime the VT system is shut down the program is lost, usually goes to b/w.

Ivan
10-16-2005, 05:37 PM
Just a suggestion but you should always have a "go to" sorce when doing live. Anytime you put a computer in the mix there is the possibilty of a crash. This doesn't excuse the problem but I know that whether Mac or PC I have be able to crash almost every program I have ever used at one time or another.

Ivan

TRCC
10-16-2005, 05:45 PM
Oh - of course we have a "backup" system, the transition from the VT to the backup system presents a small glitch when we switch from VT to our previous switcher. So the solutiton was to switch with our old switcher (Pansonic AG-MX70) and run the mix to tape as well as into the VT system to to finalize with OVERLAYS, since our system has given us so many bugs we have had no choice but to go the alternative route and begin to buy each individual peice, tape decks, Switchers, CG etc. I would like to get our VT system up and running (reliably) again in-order to allocate the money that we are spending components, to somewhere else that really needs the money. Maybe someday we can Get this VT system working the way the majority of systems work (right) and not have to worry about crashes, and loss of signal, and so on.
Until then, Here I am, waiting and trying, listining and watching...

joe_blowdog
10-18-2005, 02:58 PM
Im having the same problems with this and we just got the new system! $.5 already installed. My sources are going to black and only a shutdown of the program will fix it. As soon as any of my channels go to preview one is lost :twak:

TRCC
10-20-2005, 04:54 PM
I had the problem with the loss of signal, and TECH support gave me new beta drivers, that fixed the problem. Now they tell me its a bug in the proc amp, and is in R&D for a fix. If you are still loosing your inputs, call tech support to get the beta drivers until the new patch comes out. As far as the signal dropping, tech said that the procamp is taking references from other signals and adjusting it, apparantly they say if you dont mess with the procamp it shouldnt affect you, but in my experience, after resetting my configs, I still got the problem with the degridation of signal. So I guess until the fix is out Im stuck with 4.1

Hopefully then I can use 4.5
Luke

Martin Dolbear
10-31-2005, 06:12 PM
Now they tell me its a bug in the proc amp, and is in R&D for a fix. If you are still loosing your inputs, call tech support to get the beta drivers until the new patch comes out.

Paul Lara,

It's these "glitches" that have those of us in the field asking for information updates on the release schedule of the fixes like 4.51.

I, personally, have been a customer of NewTek from the very first Toaster released for the gone-but-not-forgotten Amiga. I have, like many, bought and paid for every upgrade NewTek has offered with the singular exception of upgrading my SX-8 to an SX-84 and I would, as would others, like to be able to give my boss some kind of a reality-based answer when asked how long something as significant as this is going to be a problem.

Those of us out here actually working with and paying for NewTek hardware/software have a reasonable expectation about bugs and glitches and I think that several of us have proven to be patient, long-term, faithful customers who are willing to support your efforts. In return, we would like to have a better response concerning your progress.

Martin Dolbear

Paul Lara
11-01-2005, 09:22 AM
Certainly, Martin.
It seems that 4.51 is progressing, and development should have a Gold Master for upload fairly soon now. I don't have a date, but I would estimate within a week or week and a half, new bugs notwithstanding. Should that happen, then the build goes back to the beta team for further testing and feedback.

Jim_C
11-01-2005, 09:23 AM
:cat:

TRCC
11-02-2005, 02:14 PM
here here martin....

Luke.

CTerrell
11-12-2005, 04:17 PM
Heard from Paul Lara on this existing issue via email. He has changed his timeframe from a week or week .5 for a patch to unknown timeframe. And while I understand the time it takes to work out bugs, this is beginning to be a bit crazy. It has been three months since we pointed out this bug in 4.5 and still nothing to fix it (They originally said over phone 2 weeks). Newtek doesn't need to release another major release like 4.5 without further testing anymore. :thumbsdow

TRCC
11-13-2005, 10:59 AM
diito, I just got off the phone from TECH a few days ago, and I basically was told my system was doomed...

I was happier with VT3

Martin Dolbear
11-19-2005, 07:45 AM
Certainly, Martin.
It seems that 4.51 is progressing, and development should have a Gold Master for upload fairly soon now. I don't have a date, but I would estimate within a week or week and a half, new bugs notwithstanding.

Heard from Paul Lara on this existing issue via email. He has changed his timeframe from a week or week .5 for a patch to unknown timeframe. And while I understand the time it takes to work out bugs, this is beginning to be a bit crazy.

diito, I just got off the phone from TECH a few days ago, and I basically was told my system was doomed....

Paul Lara,

Some guys just don't get it and I'm beginning to think you're one of them. We are faithful customers looking for dependable information from honest people, not salesman's BS followed by contradiction.

Martin Dolbear

Jim_C
11-19-2005, 08:04 AM
I don't think personally attacking someone is going to help the situation.

Venting frustrations is one thing. Insulting someone is another.

Martin Dolbear
11-19-2005, 10:16 AM
Jim,

You're right, of course. Paul, I apologize.

Martin Dolbear

Jim_C
11-19-2005, 10:40 AM
Eh.. Who am I to talk really...I've been known to flip and become less than eloquent just as quick if not quicker than the next guy...

:devil:

But fwiw, a couple days ago Paul posted... paraphrasing..

'Haven't forgotten you guys.. Polishing the patch to get it out asap...'

Again paraphrasing.. It was here somewhere....

He did say in his original post 'a week or so pending further bug finds'.. So maybe they found and squashed a couple new ones...

It does truly suck that you guys are having the problem. Wish I had some ideas, but for what I have been doing 4.5 has been very stable.

Jim

(one thing about these NT guys, Paul, Chuck over on LW boards, Philip, <ESPECIALLY Chuck over there ..wow they rail him sometimes> they are Teflon coated and true diplomats.)

TRCC
12-09-2005, 02:26 PM
Certainly, Martin.
It seems that 4.51 is progressing, and development should have a Gold Master for upload fairly soon now. I don't have a date, but I would estimate within a week or week and a half, new bugs notwithstanding. Should that happen, then the build goes back to the beta team for further testing and feedback.

More than a month later and nothing to show...?

Luke

Martin Dolbear
12-29-2005, 04:16 PM
The silence is deafening.

Martin Dolbear

Zane Condren
12-29-2005, 04:32 PM
Martin,

VT4.6 was released today you should be able to login @ http://register.newtek.com/ and download the patch

Martin Dolbear
12-29-2005, 05:26 PM
Fantastic!

Martin Dolbear

Martin Dolbear
12-29-2005, 06:49 PM
Where do I find and how do I deploy the new version of iVGA or do the changes not require anything different in the client app?

Martin Dolbear