PDA

View Full Version : Requesting help on patching splines - .lwo attached...

ChillWill Graphix
08-13-2005, 10:59 AM
Hey guys,

So I was working on the same tut that I posted about the other day and got stuck again - go figure! Anyway, for those not familiar, I'm working on Peter Ratner's "3-D Human Modeling and Animation". I am working on the Spline Knife tut in the front of the book. I thought I finished with the spline cage and was trying to get the spline curves converted to polygons, but cannot seem to get it to work. If anybody could take a look at this object, see if I messed up the splines somehow and give me some hints of how to fix THAT, or try to convert to polys and give me some pointers on that? As usual, the help would be greatly appreciated. I'll be watching this thread like a hawk as I am looking forward to experimenting with surfacing once I'm finished.

Later - Mike

Aquaman
08-13-2005, 11:35 AM
Mike, I've only taken a look at the blade layer so far, but it looks like you just need to split the spline loops at the cross sections up at the top of the blade. In the image I have the vertices highlighted where the splines can be split. Essentially you just use the polygon selection tool to pick one of the splines then switch to point mode, select one of the vertices I highlighted and press (ctrl + L). this will split the polyline at the selected vertex. Then it's just a matter of repeating those steps for the other vertices I have highlighted. Once that's done you should get more predictable patching results.

ChillWill Graphix
08-13-2005, 11:52 AM
Thank you for the idea, but I was unable to get all to split. I was only able to split the first two - near the blade tip. Got a warning box that said nothing was split. Did it work for you on all of them?

Thanks again - Mike

P.S. I'm sure I am doing SOMETHING wrong...?

Aquaman
08-13-2005, 01:47 PM
Hey Mike, it should end up working for all of them. One thing that's important is to make sure the spline you want split is selected with the polygon selection mode first then switch to points. After you perform this once the original poly is going to still be highlighted when you switch back to polygon selection mode. You'll need to deselect anything that currently is selected and select a new part of the spline that you want split. If you need me to show some diagrams I'll see what I can come up with. I know it's kind of difficult to understand just by reading what I'm trying to explain. Once you start to understand the routine and procedure that Lightwave wants spline patching becomes pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

ChillWill Graphix
08-13-2005, 03:51 PM
Thank you - that last little bit allowed me to finally grasp the split part of it. I was able to successfully patch the blade. I was wondering what the dark anomolies are on the top polys on the tip and the bottom two polys on the back/bottom. I'll attach the zipped .lwo. I'm starting to feel better about this now - thanks a million. I had to flip some polys to make it work - but maybe that was due to how I selected the curves. I'm off to do some yard work, but I'll be back to see if there are any replies to the poly anomoly.

Thank you very much - Mike

Aquaman
08-13-2005, 05:50 PM
Cool glad things are coming along. I checked out your updated file and you just need to run the merge command (m) key. This will merge all the points occupying the same space. The tip of the knife had 17 points instead of one. Things like that will cause anomalies like the different colored polys at the tip of the knife.
Whenever you spline patch you'll have multiple vertices occupying the same space so it's always a good idea to run the merge command after you get everything patched you want. Each patch has its own set of points so wherever you have two sets of patches meeting there will be two points one from each patch section.

ChillWill Graphix
08-13-2005, 06:32 PM
Wow - thanks A LOT!!! It's amazing how something so small (like merging points) can solve a problem that's bugging the you know what out of somebody (me). Thanks a lot - I'll tackle the rest of the patching tonight and start surfacing. Heck, I may even throw it into a scene to try and expand on the initial tutorial.

Thanks a ton - Mike

Aquaman
08-13-2005, 08:32 PM
Glad I can help out. Hope things are starting to make a little more sense now. Once you get the basics down and understand what Lightwave wants the process is pretty easy. The hardest part (for me anyways) is knowing where to put your splines when making something from scratch and determining how much geometry you'll need in a specific area. That just comes with time and practice though.