PDA

View Full Version : Custom Lower 3rd the easy way

StephenW
08-13-2005, 08:15 AM
First, create your graphic in Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro or whatever.

The graphic needs to be 1440 x 1080. Save it as a png file make sure that you used the alpha channel (checkerboard background) to allow video to "show thru".

***Paint Shop Pro 8 (or less) Users Note*** In order for the png to work properly for the TriCaster, you must first save the graphic as a psd file and then as a png file. I don't know why, but it works... I think it is a PSP issue.

Now you have your graphic.

In TriCaster click the X on the upper right> click admin> click my computer. In my computer go to this loooooooonnnng address:
TriCaster\Skins\BlackBoxDesktop\Live_Tab\SetupTabs \Overlay_Tab\MainArea
_ALLTEMPLATES_
Do yourself a favor and set up a shortcut to save time in the future.

You will see A_Lower thirds, B_Something Else, and so forth. Create an F_My Lower Thirds or whatever you want to name it, but start with F_ for alphabatization purposes.

Go to A_Lower thirds and copy any of the folders from within - then past in to your folder F_My Lower Thirds, then rename it.

Delete the Bk file from within the folder then copy your graphic and rename it Bk.

At this point you have created a custom graphic that will now work from your overlay list in the TriCaster. There are still things you need to do, but you can try itto prove that it works.

You will note that the text name and job title may or may not fit on to your graphic or be in a font that you like or dislike. (Initialization) The easiest thing to do is to find a text script that does meet your needs from the existing TriCaster list and then copy>paste that script (Initialization) to your folder.

Otherwise, you have to go custom which can be done and there are no instructions in your book, but, you can create (with some effort) your own custom fonts and attributes, see "You can change fonts & characteristics..." in this forum.

You will also note that the old thumbnail still exists and that is because you need to create your own. I only create a thumb if I plan on using the lower third more than once. Reduce your graphic to 200 x 135 (I think that is the size) png. Replace "Thumb" in your folder.

It is not that difficult once you know certain things. The process, however, is most definitely unnecessary and a pain, which will hopefully be programmed and perfected soon.

One other feature request is for Picture in Picture. Over the shoulder video, multiple guests on the screen at the same time, and so forth.

Paul Lara
08-13-2005, 09:47 AM
...Otherwise, you have to go custom which can be done and there are no instructions in your book, but, you can create (with some effort) your own custom fonts and attributes

True. But we have posted detailed instructions explaining the syntax to create custom overlays (http://www.newtek.com/tricaster/tutorials/TCTemplates/)

One other feature request is for Picture in Picture. Over the shoulder video, multiple guests on the screen at the same time, and so forth.

There are DVEs for PiP or OTS in each corner. They're in the Transitions | Special folder

dgerson
06-30-2006, 11:53 AM
[QUOTE=StephenW]First, create your graphic in Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro or whatever.

The graphic needs to be 1440 x 1080. Save it as a png file make sure that you used the alpha channel (checkerboard background) to allow video to "show thru".

***Paint Shop Pro 8 (or less) Users Note*** In order for the png to work properly for the TriCaster, you must first save the graphic as a psd file and then as a png file. I don't know why, but it works... I think it is a PSP issue.

Now you have your graphic.

Can you better explain this part? I am using Photoshop CS2, and I just cant seem to get the order right when creating an alpha channel. I am trying to create a translucent white lower thirds, that will have some text and a graphic on it. I just cant get the translucent to work right. Do you have a step by step guide?

StephenW
06-30-2006, 12:09 PM
You need to change your background to an alpha channel (checkerboard) before you start then build form there.

If you are already diong that then you need to lower your opacity on your white background to make it seethru.

dgerson
01-15-2007, 11:15 AM
You need to change your background to an alpha channel (checkerboard) before you start then build form there.

If you are already diong that then you need to lower your opacity on your white background to make it seethru.

I still dont have it working. Could you send me a PSD with just a simple white lower thirds transparancy? This way i can look at it in depth to see what i am missing. I would really appreciate it. Please send to [email protected]

thanks
Dan

Tarheel Cougar
01-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Dan, you could also save it as a 32-bit TGA file. I've had trouble with PNG's in earlier versions of Photoshop but TGA's usually work (though they are much larger files). I assume you are in RGB color mode?

Another solution is to make an alpha matte. I don't know how familiar you are with photoshop but where your layers are, click on the Channels tab and see if there is RGB/Red/Green/Blue and Alpha. If there is an alpha channel already there it could be messing you up. Or, you can create a custom Alpha channel that matches your graphics but its not incredibly easy.

Jared Amos

batdemon
03-29-2007, 06:09 AM
This is what I do CS2.

Once I've designed my lower third with a transparency background(make certain you see the checkerboard pattern where there aren't any graphics) I choose "Save To Web" once that screen pops up I choose PNG-24 and make certain that transparency tab is clicked. Then I save the file as whatevername.png import into tricaster an I get a clean lower third with no white space.

dhomas
04-02-2007, 08:06 AM
Of course... our Template Maker plugin makes the process even easier. It removes all the guess work.