PDA

View Full Version : Object point replacement in Layout

badllarma
08-12-2005, 01:34 PM
Right here it goes I have an object (lets call it "tree_line") made up of a number of points (15 in fact) that is it no polys just points.

Right I have a tree object that I want to clone to each of the "tree_line" points so I will end up with 15 trees. Now this is dead easy with using HD Instance but I do not want to use that for a spercific reason (cannot say at present).

If I try "points clone plus" in Modeler it just dies due to the fact the tree is very high poly.

So Another way would be to import the "tree_line" oject into layout and convert each point to a null then do object replacement for each null with the tree but the plugins I've tried are old and not working in Layout 8.3 so does anyone have any ideas??Would FX link work or something??

CB_3D
08-12-2005, 02:36 PM
hd instance does that without geometry.

Dodgy
08-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Apply an emitter dynamic to the treeline object, and set it to emit from vertices. Then set the rate to 100 or something, and use FXlinker to link one tree to the emitter. Set it to the number of trees you want and away it goes... Of course, you don't want any movement on the particles :)

badllarma
08-12-2005, 06:18 PM
hd instance does that without geometry.

thats intresting Chris but how does HD Instance know where to place the instances? Not disagreeing but just intrested?

Cheers Dodge but particles (I've now found out) are out as well, I'll explain more at the next meeting so I'm looking for a points to nulls converter that works with Lightwave 8.3 (everything I've tried is old and broken these include
ym_Point2Nulll
Point Clone Plus (meshses too heavy modeler dies)
AddNulls
there is another as well forgot it's name.

anyone any ideas?

MonroePoteet
08-12-2005, 06:32 PM
For 15 objects, I'd just clone and place 'em manually.

mTp

noiseboy
08-12-2005, 06:40 PM
How about using Powergons. Convert points to polys then add powergon command replacing default command with AddNull Null, (hit enter on keyboard not OK in window). then in layout add powergon object and use convert powergons and you've got your nulls in the correct position.

Colin

badllarma
08-12-2005, 07:08 PM
How about using Powergons. Convert points to polys then move to Layout and convert the powergons to nulls using powergon command replacing the default command with AddNull Null

Colin

good thinking Colin I'll give it ago :thumbsup:

Sorry I did not explain myself full enough MonroePoteet and every one else.

I usually would do what you said, or just run HD Instance (I do have the plugin) But this is the start of a series of test renders on woodland that contains over 900 trees the first 15 are the of the same type hence why I've started with them and I've already converted the single primary tree's textures to a readablee format for the viewer I'm trying out.

The viewer like FPrime does not like HD Instance I'm afraid. Hence why I cannot use it.

The final idea for all of this is a comparison between Lightwave (including HD Instace), FPrime and the new viewer I'm testing to see which is quickest.

And the 900 tree woodland well thats part of a internal commmercial project I'm working on :)

Dodgy
08-12-2005, 07:21 PM
i tried some vue trees in LW, which covered a sub d landscape with HD instance, and I have to say, it was well impressive... maybe 500 intances of 5000 poly trees.... Just about 2 minutes I think....

badllarma
08-12-2005, 07:45 PM
i tried some vue trees in LW, which covered a sub d landscape with HD instance, and I have to say, it was well impressive... maybe 500 intances of 5000 poly trees.... Just about 2 minutes I think....

sounds cool Dodgy not sure of the poly count on those?

The beast I'm trying at present just as a little tester is 331,000 poly Poplar thanks to Xfrog :help:
Still to run it through the QemLOSS3 a couple of time yet though but I'd thought I'd try and break the viewer first :D

Colin that worked at treat BTW your a star man! worries me that all these UK user are up at this time in a morning!!
Time for just 1 more beer then bed :D

noiseboy
08-13-2005, 01:51 AM
! worries me that all these UK user are up at this time in a morning!!
:D

Hey, now that we can have 24 hr drinking, why not 24hr Lightwaving? glad that a few of my brain cells are still working after so many Vodka's....

Colin