PDA

View Full Version : VT4 4.5 issues and/or questions

inquisitive
08-12-2005, 01:28 PM
Hi,

Download page contains the following text:

This includes a new core update at the end of the install, and it is important that you power your computer off at the end of the upgrade!!!

However it didnt notice a core update screen during upgrade.
vtcoreupdate ver says its 0152 (is this the latest and/or the one I should have?)

--
VT4 Version 4.5 Addendum says iVGA is found in c:\vt4\IVGA\ i do not have such folder - installed vt4 4.5 LW7.5 Perhaps that file is missing from this version of the installer?

Could somsone else check and verify?

cholo
08-12-2005, 01:37 PM
No ivga here either

Paul Lara
08-12-2005, 01:50 PM
:question:
DOH!
I don't see it on my machine either, guys.
Let me upload it, and I'll post the link.

billmi
08-12-2005, 02:27 PM
Paul,

Does that mean that the what I just downloaded from the NewTek site is the wrong file, or that I should install 4.5 downloaded from the site and that a core update will also be available for download to go with it?

Thanks for all the work going into this update!

ScorpioProd
08-12-2005, 02:55 PM
AFAIK, only CERTAIN versions of the VT card need the core update.

Mine didn't core update, but I didn't expect it to.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Paul.

Paul Lara
08-12-2005, 03:04 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, Paul.

And you know I would Eugene. ;)

Yes, the core update is an intelligent process, and is only applied to cards that need it. No worries.

edmellnik
08-12-2005, 03:15 PM
I downloaded the 7.5 version of VT4.5 which I though is what I had....
But Get the message 'Cant find patch gradeable version of VT4.
Did I download the wrong version?

ed

billmi
08-12-2005, 03:44 PM
Gotcha - core is intelligent and it's the iVGA that's the separate file...

inquisitive
08-12-2005, 04:07 PM
:question:
DOH!
I don't see it on my machine either, guys.
Let me upload it, and I'll post the link.

Thank you Paul, time to play :)

inquisitive
08-12-2005, 04:09 PM
I downloaded the 7.5 version of VT4.5 which I though is what I had....
But Get the message 'Cant find patch gradeable version of VT4.

ed

Do you still have VT4 sp1 installed? I believe the patch installs on top of VT4, dont know if it can be installed by itself (good question!).

If you still have it installed then you should be able to check what version of LW you have. If you removed it, maybe that is the problem? or maybe the wrong file was downloaded?

Paul Lara
08-12-2005, 04:13 PM
Get the message 'Cant find patch gradeable version of VT4.

That would be my guess.
Either that, or you have a beta version on your system, which will not allow patch upgrades.

edmellnik
08-12-2005, 04:29 PM
Nope,
I have the right versions according to tech support.
They are stumped.

They suggest uninstalling and reinslling 4 then try 4.5 again.

I wonder....Paul you gave some of us some extra patches to help crashing
quite a while back. I wonder if that could effect it?

ed

ktas
08-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Hey folks...

I just installed VT4.5. The install was smooth and I had no problems until I tried to load a project I made in SP1... It locks up and wont load the project. Ctrl+v+t does nothing and neither does Ctrl+Alt+Del. Anyone else have any trouble? I'll try a fresh install and report back.

ktas
08-12-2005, 04:34 PM
Sorry I just said "project" not what kind... a Toaster Edit project.

ktas
08-12-2005, 05:26 PM
Re-instelled... no luck. I was able to open a couple of projects... but now it's locking up hard again.

inquisitive
08-12-2005, 05:37 PM
Perhaps your issue is related to plugins? are you using any of them? Perhaps they are not compatible with this version. I think i recall reading of an issue similar to yours back when sp1 was released.

ktas
08-12-2005, 07:16 PM
Hmmm... could be. What kind of plug ins are we talking here... some of the effects such as the compressor, de-interlace, letterbox? Oh and by the way... CG crashed on me!

BrentYoung
08-12-2005, 07:18 PM
I downloaded the directory and got the VGA screen to display beautifully on my VT. The problem I'm having is that in the switcher, I can select the iVGA choice and use it but when I do, the rest of the menus in the panel remain ghosted and I can't access them. The only active pulldown is the one that selects the VGA source.

Paul Lara
08-12-2005, 07:22 PM
I downloaded the directory and got the VGA screen to display beautifully on my VT. The problem I'm having is that in the switcher, I can select the iVGA choice and use it but when I do, the rest of the menus in the panel remain ghosted and I can't access them. The only active pulldown is the one that selects the VGA source.

Yes, those other options are for projector out, which requires you to have either a projector or second monitor connected to your graphics card.

deejay
08-12-2005, 08:01 PM
I'm missing the vga capture utility ... anyone else missing theirs?
(Storms have passed so I'm back) :)

ScorpioProd
08-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Do your projects have any of Bob Tasa's plug-ins in them?

If so, you need his new plug-ins for 4.5 for them to work properly.

There's a chance that could cause the problems you describe.

(The above was for Roger's problem.)

As for the old VGA capture, well, that was one of the files that was in the zip Paul posted for iVGA...

Paul Lara
08-12-2005, 08:21 PM
I'm missing the vga capture utility ... anyone else missing theirs?

I would guess that's because the installer missed the inclusion of the iVGA folder. That folder is zipped and available as a download (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/VideoToaster/Downloads/iVGA_Client.zip) from our ftp site. :vticon:

Unzip this into the VT[4] folder and it's all good. :D

deejay
08-12-2005, 08:25 PM
I would guess that's because the installer missed the inclusion of the iVGA folder. That folder is zipped and available as a download (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/VideoToaster/Downloads/iVGA_Client.zip) from our ftp site. :vticon:

Unzip this into the VT[4] folder and it's all good. :D

Thanks Paul!

Paul Lara
08-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Anything for you, Don! :D

deejay
08-12-2005, 09:12 PM
I just ivga'd my Windows 2000 os machine running a Scala presentation to my XP VT4.5 and the output is just awesome ... I can't tell the difference between the computer monitor and the TV monitor output! This just opened up a whole new bunch of possibilities!

Thank you NewTek!!!!

tmon
08-12-2005, 09:24 PM
Way cool.

Though I don't know how much I'll be using the feature, it exemplifies NewTek's innovative nature, and is one more thing that confirms that the Tricaster development works in all our favor.

Tod Cole
08-13-2005, 09:41 AM
Hmmm... could be. What kind of plug ins are we talking here... some of the effects such as the compressor, de-interlace, letterbox? Oh and by the way... CG crashed on me!

Can you give us the steps to get the CG to crash? I havent got it to crash in a while with 4.5. :stumped:

billmi
08-13-2005, 10:14 AM
I was runing VT4, SP1 (the version I bought, SP1 was included) LW7.5 under XP Pro.

I installed the 4.5 update, install seemed to go smooth, and oddly it installed Direct X 9, which was already on my system. When I rebooted, Windows reported that no drivers were loaded for the VT card (this is an original VTNT card.) I popped into Control Panel and manually installed the drivers, and everything was happy. Just wanted to report the problem as it sounds like something questionable on the installer.

As for 4.5, I like the brighter look of its default skins, and whoo... folks live switching have got to love the faster response when cutting on the program row. I'm surprised a bigger deal hasn't been made of that improvement.

3DBob
08-13-2005, 10:17 AM
Ok - What i'd really like now is the Tricasters 5.25" breakout box and VT skin for my toaster.

PLease Please please

3DBob

JReble
08-13-2005, 11:55 AM
:agree: :dito: :i_agree:

vtlipera
08-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Hi, I own vt4 and updated it with sp1 in 12/04, It worked great. I've tried all the versions of vt4.5 updates and get the error message " can not find a patchgradible version" Why? I uninstalled vt4 and reinstalled it ( never a beta version) added sp1 and still get the error with the 4.5 patch. Please help.

edmellnik
08-13-2005, 01:23 PM
I was going to uninstall VT4 and reinstall but it sounds like that might not be the answer. Glad to hear that I am not the only one with this problem.
Maybe we should compare notes.

By the way.. I dont think you need the SP1 to do 4.5 so maybe the answer is
starting with just vt4 with no sp1? This is what the Newtek Teck support suggested. I have not done it yet.

Next might be cleaning the registry???VT installs and uninstalls never cleans
everything out. Dont know if it would make a difference.

What version did you try to download.
My version should be the lightwave 7.5 version.

I am using a P4 2.4 ghz supermicro.
Also using a VT2 card that has never been in for any modifications.
I also have an old paralell Lightwave 7.5 dongle on the machine for using standalone Lightwave.

So far tech support has not had any great suggestions for what could be the problem.

ed

Paul Lara
08-13-2005, 02:49 PM
(to either one of you)
What happens if you just install 4.5 on top of the CD version, without adding in SP1?

Hi, I own vt4 and updated it with sp1 in 12/04, It worked great. I've tried all the versions of vt4.5 updates and get the error message " can not find a patchgradible version" Why? I uninstalled vt4 and reinstalled it ( never a beta version) added sp1 and still get the error with the 4.5 patch. Please help.

vtlipera
08-13-2005, 03:58 PM
I tried the VT4v45LW83us version and this worked, sorry I didn't think I had this version of LW, I solely use vt. But interestingly the other versions didn't work. I assumed that using a version of vt4.5 with an older version of LW or no LW at all would install. I don't know if this helps. Thanks

edmellnik
08-13-2005, 07:38 PM
Could you confirm which VT4 version was your original disc.
Does your Original program CD say 7.5 on it???
ED

3DBob
08-14-2005, 03:49 AM
Mine is 7.5 and works perfectly.

3DBob

3DBob
08-14-2005, 04:08 AM
I will add that I am running on Windows 2k.

3DBob

vtlipera
08-14-2005, 06:42 AM
My LW version was 8, and I'm also using Win Pro 2000

jgrin
08-14-2005, 05:49 PM
I just ivga'd my Windows 2000 os machine running a Scala presentation to my XP VT4.5 and the output is just awesome ... I can't tell the difference between the computer monitor and the TV monitor output! This just opened up a whole new bunch of possibilities!

Thank you NewTek!!!!

Cool! Just a couple of questions:
1) Are you running full-motion video in your Scala presentation?
2) Are you connecting the computers directly together with a cable or using your LAN?
Thanks!

Paul Lara
08-14-2005, 06:49 PM
Are you connecting the computers directly together with a cable or using your LAN?

That won't make any difference to iVGA quality output.

radams
08-14-2005, 07:53 PM

But it "may" have more frame delay.

Cheers,

hartley
08-14-2005, 07:55 PM
It seems after installing 4.5 that I no longer have the option of "Edit Alias" in a DDR. We use this all the time. It used to be an option when you right click on a clip loaded in the DDR. Is there another way to do this or am I missing something now?

Hartley

nevmoor
08-14-2005, 10:27 PM
forgive my ignorance but what does the ;'edit alias' feature do??

tonsofpcs
08-14-2005, 11:27 PM
But it "may" have more frame delay.It will only cause delay (and possible loss of connection) if your LAN is slower than a direct connection would be (eg: using a 10-base-T switch on 10/100 autoswitching NICs) or if you are using a hub instead of a switch and there are other machines on the hub wasting the shared data stream's bandwidth.

Jim_C
08-15-2005, 08:05 AM
forgive my ignorance but what does the ;'edit alias' feature do??

The alias is a separate name designation you can give any file or folder. Different from the actual name. The folder may be actually be called 'B_Roll_8_12_05' but you can give it an alias like 'Head Shots'.

Then you can have VT display the alias name instead of the actual naming designation.
VERY handy feature, especially when you have a bunch of drives hooked to the computer labeled just with letters. You can alias them with a better description.

jgrin
08-15-2005, 08:15 AM

But it "may" have more frame delay.

It will only cause delay (and possible loss of connection) if your LAN is slower than a direct connection would be (eg: using a 10-base-T switch on 10/100 autoswitching NICs) or if you are using a hub instead of a switch and there are other machines on the hub wasting the shared data stream's bandwidth.
Thanks everyone!

deejay
08-15-2005, 09:29 AM
Cool! Just a couple of questions:
1) Are you running full-motion video in your Scala presentation?
2) Are you connecting the computers directly together with a cable or using your LAN?
Thanks!

If you're asking if the Scala presentation is running full screen ... then yes it is. Scala will change the video resolution to 640 x 480 when it plays and I have the two machines hardwired networked thru a router on a lan.

The delay between the Scala machine and the VT machine is very small ... so that I could record the output of the Scala presentation and use it in a video if needed. In doing some experimenting over the weekend I also ivga'd two other machines over my wireless network and there is obvious delay so that those machines would probably only be good for displaying a still image.