PDA

View Full Version : Way to change Modeler Orbit?

ibanezhead
08-12-2005, 11:53 AM
I was playing around with the modo demo today, and I noticed in the viewport properties that you can turn off "Trackball". Once done the viewport no longer rotates around an object like LW, but rather like Max/Maya. I'm more use to a Max/Maya way of orbiting around an object and was wondering if there is a config file or setting in LW where I can make a similar change and get the same results?

thanks...

ibanezhead
08-12-2005, 12:14 PM
BTW, I'm refereing to Modeler viewport rotation using the mouse, and not the icon...

KillMe
08-12-2005, 12:21 PM
dont think there is at least i done think so but i wish there was that said i'm no so used to using the icon probally take some getting used to orbiting with a shortcut key and the mouse

Surrealist.
08-12-2005, 05:24 PM
BTW, I'm refereing to Modeler viewport rotation using the mouse, and not the icon...

I will do my best to explain this. Rotate assumes a center or axis. By default, LW modeler rotates around the center xyz space. If your model is there, it will rotate about the center of the object.

There's more but first...

These are the keyboard shortcuts for navigating the interface.

alt LMB to rotate view
alt shift LMB to move -pan up down side to side - the view
alt ctl LMB to zoom in zoom out.

Using these hot keys you can move the view over and the center of the rotate will be the center of the view. In this way you can put the center of the roation anyplace in 3D space virtually.

Press a and it will center the rotate back again around the object if it is at XYZ center or just the XYZ center if not.

These are the options for rotating in LW modeler. What are you trying to achieve? Please explain. :)

Snosrap
08-12-2005, 05:45 PM
These are the keyboard shortcuts for navigating the interface.

alt LMB to rotate view

Get to know these short cuts, they are your best friends. LW Modeler's way of rotating and manipulating the views is very intuitive. That was one thing I liked about modo, it was just like LW. FYI: I did not bite on their deal. Not really sure how Maya and Max handle rotating the view. I taught a intern LW this summer who had prior Max experience and he seemed right at home in Modeler.

Cheers Snos

ibanezhead
08-12-2005, 07:20 PM
These are the options for rotating in LW modeler. What are you trying to achieve? Please explain.

Thanks for your willingness to help : ). But I'm not asking how to use LW's viewport tools. I'm asking how to get Modeler to quit tilting and do more of an orbit like Max and Maya. I've been using LW for over 5yrs now, and it has always bothered me.

For those that know Max and Maya they will understand my question. Rotating with LW's rotate icon is more like rotating in Max and Maya with the mouse directly on the viewport. In LW the viewport tilts when doing this. It's almost like grabbing the viewport and moving it around. I don't really like working that way. In Max and Maya the viewport orbit responds like in Layout, straight and clean. I'm not saying Modeler's method is wrong, I just wish we had an option to change it, like in Modo. In Modo the default is like LW, but you can change it by deselecting "Trackball" and it will act more like Max and Maya.

Try rotating in Modeler in the viewport using Alt, then rotate in Layout doing the same. Layout is closer to Max, Maya (though slower)... So does anyone know of a setting that I can change (maybe in a cfg file) and it will act more like Max and Maya when using Alt...

Thanks again...

Surrealist.
08-12-2005, 08:55 PM
Sorry for telling you the obvious, just getting it out of the way just in case to save going back and forth on it :)

Anyway thanks for explaining. I see what you mean. In layout it gives you one axis of rotation at a time with the mouse where as with modeler you get all axis at once and it responds based on where the mouse is. OK Cool Got it. Well, in the near future there will be more modeling in Layout. Perhaps this is a good Modeler feature request for LW9 :)

ibanezhead
08-13-2005, 12:59 PM
No problem. I'm not the best at getting to the point and explaining myself. I can talk in circles :)

Yeah, I hope they at least give us an option in LW9 like Modo has. I have to use Max, Maya, and LW and it would be nice to make all 3 respond the same somehow.

Thanks again for your help...

Steve McRae
08-13-2005, 04:31 PM
I would second this request. It is a pain to come into another app and have to switch.

It would be nice for lw to offer not only the 'maya' way of spinning the viewport, but also allowing for the maya (or others) shortcut keys to spin the viewport.

Psyhke
08-13-2005, 07:30 PM
:agree:

I've also always wanted the rotating by use of shortcut keys to be the same as the icon rotate in modeler.

ibanezhead
08-14-2005, 12:06 PM
:thumbsup:

Surrealist.
08-14-2005, 08:03 PM
:agree:

I've also always wanted the rotating by use of shortcut keys to be the same as the icon rotate in modeler.

Unless I am not understanding you, :) see above, they already are.

alt LMB to rotate view

Surrealist.
08-14-2005, 08:05 PM
No problem. I'm not the best at getting to the point and explaining myself. I can talk in circles :)

Yeah, I hope they at least give us an option in LW9 like Modo has. I have to use Max, Maya, and LW and it would be nice to make all 3 respond the same somehow.

Thanks again for your help...

Yea I think it would be cool too. Glad you brought it up.

Earl
08-15-2005, 12:25 AM
Unless I am not understanding you, :) see above, they already are.
Nope, they are not the same. I would actually really like tha Alt +LMB in Modeler to work the same as Layout and the rotate icon. In Modeler, when you use Alt + LMB it rotates on all three axes - whereas in Layout and if you use the rotate icon in Modeler rotation is locked to heading and pitch (unless you use the RMB, then it rotates the bank).

Surrealist.
08-15-2005, 02:11 AM
You're right. I never use it that way and when I went to check it out of habit I was using the alt key. :D