PDA

View Full Version : Need some Help with a Modelling function

Studio Detox
04-30-2003, 08:52 AM
Hello all

I just wanted to start off by giving my background a bit. I am a new User to Lightwave and only have limited experience with 3d packages. I learned 3d with 3d Studio Max in school but never really went to deep. I bought lightwave last summer I think maybe before that I am using 6.5. Now to the Question:

In 3d studio max you where able to draw an object in an illustration program from 2 or more views, the top and side view and others if needed and the program would create an object from those 2d illustrations. I was wondering what this is called in Lightwave if it has that function at all. Below is a an image of the drawings.

http://www.studiodetox.com/lightwave/lightwave.gif

I would lathe but then I would not get the semi-circles aroung the exterior of the "Bolt"

Thanks alot for your help in advance I appreciate your time.

Chris Goodiel
Studio Detox / Chris Goodiel Designs
[email protected]

Mylenium
04-30-2003, 09:11 AM
You can get similar results using rail extrude with multiple splines. It is still not as versatile as the corresponding function in MAX. BTW, I think for your object it would be the wrong method anyway. Doing it with subdivs would possibly be much more efficient and controllable.

Mylenium

Studio Detox
04-30-2003, 10:12 AM
I hate to bother again but would there be any tutorials on how to use either function. I looked in the manual that came with Lightwave and it is very basic as to explain what the function does and not how to import images or how to use the function(s). Could be that I am also looking in the wrong place as well.

I tried using the Import Eps function and selected the file and nothing happened nothing showed up at all. Not sure if I am missing a step in there somewhere or not. I did notice on the import function there was a scale box and it was set to .01 which was it's default setting ...maybe that is the problem?

Thanks again for your help

Chris Goodiel
Studio Detox / Chris Goodiel Designs
[email protected]

mattclary
04-30-2003, 11:08 AM
I think I'd be inclined to model this from scratch rather than importing EPS files.

mattclary
04-30-2003, 11:17 AM
Not perfect, but only spent less than 10 minutes on it.

Studio Detox
04-30-2003, 11:54 AM
Hmm pretty close Matt.

Probably better to model the item I am just very new to the program and thought I might try what I thought would be something easy to do first I am still not used to navigating around the software.

Well I was finally able to import an eps into Modeler only probelm is it was one part of two. so I need to import the second eps image into the program and that one is not showing up. Also is there a way to import it into a specific view like the top view or the side view this is sort of important for how the item would be built.

I am also using Illustrator to make the images or curves if they are considered that, because I am very familar with the drawing tools of illustrator and I am not very familar with anything in Lightwave infact selection has been a real bugger for me. I can't seem to figure out how to select an item in it's entirity(sp) in other words the whole thing. Like with one click, I hope this is possible.

It may be better to built the item from other methods I would just like to finish it this way since I did start down this path I might as well learn how to do it so I don't have to repost in the future :).

Again I thank you all for your help and suggestions.

mattclary
04-30-2003, 12:13 PM
OK, when you import an object, it does not come into any specifc view. Think of your views as windows into 3D space, not as locations unto themselves. If it comes in aligned to the wrong axis, simply rotate it as necessary. You can use your right mouse button... wait, didn't you say you were on a Mac in another post? Well, make sure you are in Poly selection mode, pick a poly and hit the ] key, this should select all polys that are attached to the one you slected. I maintain you are wasting your time with EPS files. I know it's new, but if you are going to use LW, just get on with learning to do it the LightWave way. Once you get your feet wet, it will be VERY comfortable. All I did was draw a sphere on one layer, a capsule on the second, then I copied the capsule to additional layers, rotating 45 degrees every time. I deleted the botton of the sphere, selected the points that were left over, hit "p" to turn them into a poly, then smooth shifted (bevel would work too) it out a little. You know you can load your image in the background and use it as a guide, right? Get a book on LightWave. Dan Ablan's "Inside LW" and Joe Tracy's "LightWave Applied" are the best, in my opinion.

Studio Detox
04-30-2003, 12:39 PM
Thanks alot Matt I appreciate your help and time.

Interesting you brought up the books I was just searching the internet for books and training classes and was wondering what would be the best ones to look at.

Like I was saying in the above post I was using the eps images since I was familar with the drawing tools there. I hope that LW has good drawing tools. I would love to be able to past a path from illustrator right into LW since I can make think really fast in Illustrator. Hopefully I will have the time to learn the LW way very soon.

Thanks again for your help!

--edit - sorta off topic

BTW and I still find this interesting that two button mice have been out for mac's for years now I happen to use a 5 button mouse on my computer yet I still see tutorials and such leaving that option out for the mac. I am pretty sure the right click function works just the same for the mac though I have not tried that particular funtion out as of yet. A little off topic here but why would people in a mac environment, using advanced programs such as LW or Adobe/Macromedia products use single button mice. I would like to see in more tutorials like for instance the Total Training series or an book say that if you are really using a program like this you should invest the $25+ in a two plus button mouse.

Anyways I will have to try the right click function in LW it works the same as the PC right click in any of my other programs.