PDA

View Full Version : I have a desplacement question

amiridon
08-11-2005, 10:02 PM
I've never used the displacement feature in lightwave. but tell me when most of you professionals do something like a building with a brick texture, do you use displacement for a more realistic look. and if so have you ever seen any tuts on how to use this feature correctly.

Dodgy
08-12-2005, 04:28 AM
Only if the wall is very close up, and very high poly. A displacement can only affect vertices that are there.

In LW9, geometry will be created on the fly, and subdivided as it goes to cope with such displacements, but not at the moment.

starbase1
08-12-2005, 05:43 AM
Yep, geometry is NOT for texturing!

Nemoid
08-12-2005, 05:54 AM
usually, if its not a very close up frame, its used a combination of bump map, diffusion adn color map to get a good texture. bump map gives the effect of brick relief, and its good in most cases. but it doesn't chanhe the wall silhouette, so this could be noticeable especially if seen closely.

disp maps require alot of geometry to be actually displaced so, the amount of memory this could consume is alot. fortunately, with lw 9.0, the app will subdivide only the part of the objet framed by the camera, allowing better render times, and making this technique usable. :thumbsup:

amiridon
08-12-2005, 06:32 AM
basically I want to know if lightwave can do this now, or if we have to wait until Lightwave 9.

wireframe-
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/amiridon/02.jpg

Displacement-
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/amiridon/03.jpg

Dodgy
08-12-2005, 09:13 AM
That kind of thing can be got away with just a bump map at that distance. What you might want to do is break up the outline a little by splitting the edge, so they don't look too regular. That's what I do as a game artist all the time...

Nemoid
08-12-2005, 09:31 AM
Lw renderer currently has not real subpixel displacement if that's what you're asking for.
Subpixel displacement happens to be at rendertime working on pixels based on diplacement map information. but this is so far a charactereistic of renderers like Renderman (the first which implemented it AFIK) Mray, and especially Vray has a good subpixel displacement.

Lw uses displacement based on real geometry so far, a system which could be called "brute force". hopefully we will say improvements on that field with Lw 9.0, even if i think it will not be real subpixel displacement. It probably will be supported later.

amiridon
08-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Lw renderer currently has not real subpixel displacement if that's what you're asking for.
Subpixel displacement happens to be at rendertime working on pixels based on diplacement map information. but this is so far a charactereistic of renderers like Renderman (the first which implemented it AFIK) Mray, and especially Vray has a good subpixel displacement.

Lw uses displacement based on real geometry so far, a system which could be called "brute force". hopefully we will say improvements on that field with Lw 9.0, even if i think it will not be real subpixel displacement. It probably will be supported later.

Thank you, so very much for making this clear to me. Lol at "Brute Force".

etobiason
08-12-2005, 02:31 PM
I do hi-res print work, always shooting for photoreal, and I had to make a cabin a while ago for the "Jack" from "Jack and the Beanstalk." I used simple texture/bump for the bricks, except for the bricks at the corners of the building. I modeled those. This added to the realism considerably.

-e