PDA

View Full Version : TreeHouse it the mist

kenmac
02-15-2003, 08:34 AM
Just messing around. I wanted to create some kind of lost feeling...Oh God listen to me....
Still needs some more work..Any suggestions?
Ken Mac

Meaty
02-15-2003, 08:38 AM
wow, great feeling to that picture, love the paint style, how'd you do it?

kenmac
02-15-2003, 09:18 AM
I used a pic of a sky as a backdrop and cranked up the contrast and added a ton of hue. It really effected the fog in a big way.
Ken Mac

Simon
02-15-2003, 10:55 AM
Hi, for more of a 'lost feeling' perhaps make the perimeters of the scene a bit darker, fading away out of sight more, it's all quite a uniform brightness at the moment. The bridge could be against a contrasting darker background to make it stand out more? The lights could have more of an effect on only certain parts of the scene perhaps, only revealing parts of the tree so you can't quite tell where the rope bridge is leading to (lost in a scary sort of way!!) The other main thing that stands out to me is the lack of a rope texture on the bridge, and the sharp edges on the bottom of it. Hope that helps, it's just my 2 cents .... nice painted quality as Meaty says, keep us updated!

Simon.

Skonk
02-15-2003, 12:32 PM
Looks great but maybe the area below the bridge, and even the bridge its self could be a bit darker to make it look like theres an edless drop below it :)

James..

kenmac
02-15-2003, 01:01 PM
Here you go a new updae....

http://www.kenmacleod.com/tree.htm

Ken Mac

hrgiger
02-15-2003, 06:13 PM
Cool picture Ken.

The only thing that bothers me is that the bridge ropes (rails?) look pretty flat to me. Maybe you need another subtle light source from one side or the other to show some dimension in them? Just a thought.

Skonk
02-15-2003, 06:40 PM
Definatly looks better with the darker bridge :)

James..

kenmac
02-15-2003, 06:55 PM
I wish I had a troll or wizard to put on the bridge. I think it would look really cool. I just signed up for Larry's character series. Who knows, maybe in time I'll finally be good enough to model one.
Ken Mac

phrick
02-16-2003, 03:37 PM
Great image(s)!

Spooky.. [insert theremin here]

May I suggest that you try to add some more glow to the lights? (Maybe putting a weak lens flare in front of each light would do it)

Anyway, super moody image! Keep up the great work!

kenmac
02-16-2003, 05:18 PM
Thanks Chris, Simon, James, Hrgiger, and Martin…
Anyone know where I can get a wizard or troll for free?
Ken Mac

cathuria
02-16-2003, 09:11 PM
Yes -- I like the update, but it the illumination still seems too uniform. Are you using the exposure controls? I'd try lowering the white point & raising the black -- that should help it stand out better.

kenmac
02-16-2003, 09:47 PM
Cathuria,
Huh?? What do you mean by white and black point?
Where do you access this?
Ken Mac

cathuria
02-16-2003, 10:45 PM
If you have the luxury of rendering this thing to F9:
Make sure you are using the Image Viewer FP (in render options); when the render is done, bring up the Image Controls (file menu). Check the Exposure check box and start by changing the white point to 0.9 and black to 110% - you can go further for a more exagerrated effect. Be sure to use "Save Exposed" to save a file with the adjusted exposure.

If you must do an F10, you have two choices;
1) you can simply add the HDR Exposure Image Filter.
2) if you're not sure what exposure you want, render the scene to an HDR file. Then reload that file as the background in an empty scene, then hit F9 and proceed as above.

Since I discovered the Image Controls, I've used them on everything -- have fun!

Rory_L
02-17-2003, 03:18 AM
Really a very nice image!! Great atmosphere!

The bridge though is too perfect. The planks look like they`ve been cloned along a path. Of course, a brand new rope bridge probably would look fairly uniform, but I think an old, creaky one would suit the mood better, don`t you? You might try adjusting the planks` lengths and lift some of them out of the line of the general curve.

All the best,

R

Bionic Antboy
02-18-2003, 09:59 AM
VERY cool image.

If there was one thing that was eating at me about it, I would say that the closest lantern is kinda killing the composition (putting too much weight on the left side). Because of how close it is to the camera, and the fact that it's lit up, it's taking away from that lost feeling somewhat.

I only mention it because you mentioned that you were going for a "lost" feeling.

robpauza
02-18-2003, 07:30 PM
Hey Ken,

Really nice watercolor look. Thanks for sharing your fog trick.

See ya,
-Rob