PDA

View Full Version : WAV Audio Tip - Transfer to VT Digitally

joevideo
08-11-2005, 03:28 PM
Many of you may already be using this technique to bring your wav music and narration files into your VT systems, but for those who are not, it is a handy way to get ALL of your tracks in clean - digitally.

When my system was recently rebuilt I wanted to get ALL of my buyout music onto my hard drive without manually recording it through my SX8. So, I found a handy little freeware program called CDex that rips my tracks from my buyout music disks and deposits them on my hard drive. In other words the original digital version tracks are converted to standalone wav files that can then be moved where ever you want to store them-without having to manually (in analog fashion) rerecord them into the system. Better quality, exact time of file saved, and much faster when dealing with many files are some of the advantages.

I am using an external firewire Lacie drive for mine ( in case I might ever need to edit on another machine).

Note: When you rip the music files from your buyout music discs, you will want to move them to a separate area of your hard drive, out of the working folder, otherwise the next set of tracks will overwrite the previous tracks. Of course the output of the program is generic (track 1, track 2, track 3, etc.)

I chose not to bother with renaming each file, but instead have created a notebook containing each disc using the info sheets that came with each disc. So it is very easy to find and use the exact music needed in each project.

Any cd ripping program should perform the same function as above. But if you want to have your entire music library (a wide variety) available for all of your projects, I would highly recommend you give this a try.

:)

Joevideo

P.S. It is really nice not having to ride the audio level on each track recorded like you must do when you rerecord it via analog input!

P.S.S. The CDex program allows you to rip all tracks (or a few tracks) all at the same time - sweet!

Ivan
08-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Another Freeware program called Audio Grabber does this as well. You can tell it to put the files in a certain location and create a folder by Artist or Album name. This way none of the files get overwritten if you change the name of the Album and you always know which disk it came from. It will also download the names of the songs from a CDDA library if you are online. One nice feature is that it has a "Select All" or "Select None" option in the event that you have a CD with 100 tracks.

Ivan

billmi
08-12-2005, 06:34 AM
Windows Media Player will do this as well, and since it ships with XP, you're ready to roll. It rips to WMA or MP3 formats rather than WAV, so I just set it to WMA lossless (no compression to muck with playback speed in VTEdit) and it's been working fine for me. You can even set it to automatically start ripping to a pre-set directory when Windows detects a music CD has been placed in a drive if you like (I don't like that option, but some do.) It even checks a database, and if the disk you are ripping has been entered, it automatically creates a named folder and names the tracks to keep it organized for you (though buyout libraries are less likely to be in the datbase, it doesn't recognize old Gene Michaels Productions CDs.)

Jim Capillo
08-12-2005, 07:39 AM
Aren't there issues with WMA's?

billmi
08-12-2005, 09:02 AM
The only issue I've run into so far with the lossless WMA is that it doesn't always scrub perfectly. Synch has remained correct when playing through the project.

I suspect that the more heavily compressed WMAs would have similar issues to MP3s.

It could alternatively be rendered to WAV in VTEdit. That would be more work than using a third party CD to WAV ripper, but definitely less work, and less chance of noise creeping in than capturing it analog.

Mediaworx
08-12-2005, 10:24 AM
One word of caution using lossless WMA's. I recently edited a dance recital where the director ruined the audio so I had to go back and replace all the music. I ripped the music using lossless WMA. When I went to sync everything up with the original audio, certain pieces that I ripped weren't the same length as the original audio even though I was using the exact CD's that were used at the recital. I then went and captured the audio analog using VT Capture and everything synced up perfectly. I'd be interested to see when ripping a production piece say :30 long if it rips to the same length.

Mick Haensler
Media Services @ The Fountains

kleima
08-12-2005, 10:51 AM
Sound Forge can do this too.

mgrusin
08-12-2005, 10:57 AM
A freeware program called EAC does this too. It's claim to fame is that it will work very hard to get audio off of scratched, dirty etc. discs. It's normally used to further convert tracks to MP3 but you can stop at the .WAV step as well.

-MG.

Jim_C
08-12-2005, 12:15 PM
Add 'dbpowerAMP Music Converter' to the list of great freeebie sound converters. FLAC plugin available also.