few more days, few more weeks?

T-Light
08-11-2005, 08:51 AM
JML-

When does it come out ?
few more days, few more weeks?
Few more months? :D

Who knows,maybe
1) They're sorting out last minute bugs (anyone's guess when)
2) They're waiting for Kurtis to get well (Get well soon :) )
3) They're waiting for Chuck to get back (nother week)
4) They're waiting for the FPrime2/G2 deal to finish (TODAY :D )

Fingers crossed for 4 :thumbsup:

Radamanthys
08-11-2005, 11:41 AM
... and that guy on the sighraph video was tellign us "8.5 available right after the show" :twak:

KillMe
08-11-2005, 01:20 PM
8.5 is suppost to be the first release with 64bit version no? well at a guess they are waiting for the offical 64bit dongle drivers to come out as the beta ones seems to have issues - with fprime if nothing else ( =/ no fair fprime 2 is out and i cant experiment because i got hasty and installed x64 )

JML
08-11-2005, 01:21 PM
it's funny, i thought Fprime2 was going to come out after LW8.5 upgrade. :confused:

We need 8.5 here :mad:

mostly to be able to import object easily from our modelling program.

joeldberry
08-11-2005, 01:23 PM
it's funny, i thought Fprime2 was going to come out after LW8.5 upgrade. :confused:

We need 8.5 here :mad:

mostly to be able to import object easily from our modelling program.

What modeling program is that?

benhaines
08-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Perhaps (in my dreams) they are recompiling all the binaries with a non-Intel compiler after reading my blog entry about potential poor AMD performance ;)

http://www.presetcentral.com/?p=18

I doubt it but you never know... I'm sure it will be out when its ready. Have yet to really get my teeth into 8.3...

Toodle Pip!

Brian Arndt
08-11-2005, 03:22 PM
at SIGGRAPH they said a few weeks.
Dont worry ,its coming soon..

Patience is a virtue!

you wouldnt want us to release a bug filled version now would you? :question:

JML
08-11-2005, 03:30 PM
(modelling program is formz)
(we import through obj)
we need the plugin "parts to surfaces" and to fix the bug which is that can't open obj file on a mac.

thanks for letting us know Brian.

so if 8.5 is in a few weeks, then LW9 is more likely to come out around december instead of september or october, right?

Carm3D
08-11-2005, 03:37 PM
If you're continuing the precident set by LW8, take the estimated release time and add 10 months.

Brian Arndt
08-11-2005, 03:42 PM
:lwicon: 8 was released during a big change in the company so things got held back. But dont worry, 8.5 is on schedule and everything

DragonFist
08-11-2005, 07:09 PM
I have no problem waiting. I do want it when it is ready. I can sympathize with other here though. In the videos, from SIGGRAPH, it was mentioned that the release would be "After the show". Your statement is the first I heard the two weeks. So, I have been expecting it any day now, not two weeks from now. If I had the data that it could be a few weeks, I wouldn't have been waiting on it, if you know what I mean. Anyhow, my only point is that for most of the posters here, the couple of week time frame was not known and the impression given by at least one video was "after the show." Just something to factor in.

Verlon
08-11-2005, 07:32 PM
from "right after" to "a few weeks after."

Well, if you hurry up and send me Vue to play with, I will try to chill.

If you send me the info to get LW64 Beta out of discovery mode, I will chill. I hadn't bothered anyone about that since I thought 8.5 was coming out this week, but if its going to be another month, I would kinda like to play with the 64 bit version and see if there is anything useful I can contribute.

Amadeus0
08-11-2005, 09:33 PM
The Newtek press release stated in "the 3rd Quarter" which runs from now to Sept. 30th.

I remember someone on stage saying 'now', but he was not an offical Newtek Rep. Newtek also ends the Vue+[8.x]+9.0 Upgrade August 31st, which makes me think that the upgrade will come out in September.

So complaining about it is rather silly. If they miss shipping by Sept. 30th, then consider starting threads like this. Until then it's just a waste.

prospector
08-11-2005, 10:09 PM
So complaining about it is rather silly. If they miss shipping by Sept. 30th, then consider starting threads like this. Until then it's just a waste.

But this has been happening since like the Amiga days, (The BBSs' read the same way)(and at 300 to 900 baud and ALL long distance calls there wasn't many but they were there)
It's like a ritual we go thru...
Newtek says something is coming
We get excited
Start asking when
Newtek says they NEVER give release dates (have never seen one either)
Start wonderin
Newtek says 'soon'
we get happy
we get wonderin again
The word is soon
we get grumpy
Rumours fly of Newteks demise
we get angry
Newtek says 'soon now'
we get happy but are skeptic
Newtek releases it
Everyone goes WOO HOO then BOO HOOO when servers are overloaded

Bullitin board goes quiet for a few days (everyone playing)
some bugs are reported
rumors of people leaving cuz it's not bug free
rumors of Newteks demise again
point release released...
everyones happy

cupla months later it starts all over.

been going on for 10 years

IT'S WONDERFUL !!!! :D

Wickster
08-11-2005, 10:19 PM
Well, if you hurry up and send me Vue to play with, I will try to chill.

Yeah, when will :newtek: be able to get their Vue 5 restocked? I've been waiting for my copy for a week now. I can't wait to play with that...though LW8.3 is still keeping me busy. Just need something more to keep my mind off the 8.5/9 wait.

Oh and Brian the webmaster! Awesome job on the sites!

T-Light
08-11-2005, 10:50 PM
Prospector-

been going on for 10 years

IT'S WONDERFUL !!!!
:lwicon: :D

DragonFist
08-11-2005, 11:13 PM
The Newtek press release stated in "the 3rd Quarter" which runs from now to Sept. 30th.

I remember someone on stage saying 'now', but he was not an offical Newtek Rep. Newtek also ends the Vue+[8.x]+9.0 Upgrade August 31st, which makes me think that the upgrade will come out in September.

As I said earlier, I don't really care. But I am saying that if someone says it will be available after the show (don't care if they are not Newtek, if they are representing Newtek at the time and the video with the statement was placed on NewtekTv, statement intact) then one has to realize that people are going to expect it after the show. If the person was not correct, then someone should make a statement, "We're sorry, so and so was incorrect." It can be understood that mistakes are made in such cases. I even understand it now as was stated above. However, I get a bit annoyed at statements along the lines of "what were you thinking" when there a a clear statement that it would be available after the show. I think that it is then quite reasonable for people to then expect it after the show when that was stated.

And just to drive the point home: It is natural for people to think something will be available "after the show" if some says that it will be available "after the show."

Sorry, the last was a bit much. But please don't act like we had no reason to be waiting anxiously.

Best,

Shawn

ACLOBO
08-12-2005, 12:00 AM
After the show can be right after the show or 2 years after the show.. Sheesh.. 8.5 is not going to dramatically improve your skills.... So, what is the rush? It will be released when it is released.. I personally am more excited about 9 that 8.5 and I know that is a long ways off, but do I complain that they have announced it and not released it yet? Just be quiet and be patient. Practive on your current version as 8.5 is going to be the same version with just a few tweaks and some interactivity improvement.

-Adrian

Verlon
08-12-2005, 12:39 AM
Well I guess 50,000 years is 'right after the show' geologically speaking, but we aren't in the geology field. :P

We work in the highly caffeinated world of computers. When someone says right after the show, 77 milliseconds is considered 'acceptable.' I mean is it THAT much trouble to ask them to bring an old fashioned modem and upload the new version to the server from the laptop on the plane ride back?

I mean, what ELSE are you going to do on a plane ride?

Gimme my lightwave
:twak:

:D

Seriously....would rather have it right than today, but am going through withdrawal of my dongle swap.

*sigh* yes, I ordered a dongle swap right before I ordered the 9 upgrade. I don't want to hear about it. Its done. I KNEW I should have just drove down to Newtek to get that thing. It would have cost less in gas than it did in shipping, even at these prices.

T-Light
08-12-2005, 01:34 AM
Aclobo-

After the show can be right after the show or 2 years after the show.. Sheesh..

True, but the actual phrase was "Just after the show" :)

As Prospector's already stated, we're just repeating history here, but...

There was talk back in July that LW 8.5 would be released during Siggraph. JML already mentioned in this thread that 8.5 was due to be released before FPrime 2 (I remember reading something about that too, b*ggered if I can find it).

But the big one is this from the Newtek Press Releases page (Dated 1st, August,2005 - (Start of Siggraph))
http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/

NewTek Releases LightWave® 64

Click the link and you get
http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/08-01-05b.html

Which states quiet clearly

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NewTek Releases LightWave® 64

64-bit Port of Emmy®-winning 3D Tool is part of Free Version 8.5 Update

Los Angeles, CA – SIGGRAPH 2005 Booth #1529 – August 1, 2005 -- NewTek, Inc., manufacturer of industry-leading 3D animation and video products, today announced the release of the 64-bit port of the Emmy®-winning LightWave 3D® for Windows XP Pro x64 OS, as part of the release of the version 8.5 update.

Don't really think it's unfair that some of us expected to have it by now. :rolleyes:

DragonFist
08-12-2005, 01:48 AM
Sheesh.. 8.5 is not going to dramatically improve your skills.... So, what is the rush?
-Adrian

Is there a reason for the personal insult? Veiled as it may be, that is what that is.

colkai
08-12-2005, 02:33 AM
Is there a reason for the personal insult? Veiled as it may be, that is what that is.
That wasn't a veiled insult at all, what he wastrying to get across was, LW8.5 may have some new features in it, but it won't affect your current skill level in any way, just as the fact that it is not currently here will NOT stop you from producing work with LW.

The point he is trying to make here is, is there a specific thing in LW8.5 that you MUST have right now in order to complete a project that you do NOT currently have and that is mission-critical? No, of course there isn't because no-one starts a project relying on some new tool being ready when they need it, you use what you have to hand.
LW8.5 will be useful when it arrives, and yes, there may be things in it that will speed up your workflow, but right now, the software you have is the same as you had before you knew LW8.5 was coming out.

There is no "NEED" here, and certainly no "NEED RIGHT NOW", there is only "we would like". I'd like a new computer, I mean REALLY like one, as mine is over 2 years old, but I wouldn't say I need one, I can still work with what I have.

Verlon
08-12-2005, 02:35 AM
I think we would all love hardware open GL and a faster renderer.

While it might not make or break a SINGLE project, it might help us do MORE projects.

colkai
08-12-2005, 02:50 AM
It well MAY do so, but my point is, people seem to confuse NEED with WANT far too often.
Having someone to make my dinners for me and look after my house would improve my productivity far more than an immediate release of LW8.5 would do anyway. :p ;)

riki
08-12-2005, 04:00 AM
Forget about it and it'll be out before you know. Wait for it and it'll take forever.

prospector
08-12-2005, 07:48 AM
No, of course there isn't because no-one starts a project relying on some new tool being ready when they need it, you use what you have to hand.

No one told ME that!

I been waiting on a project that uses the new hologram technology,and if LW doesn't include it in 8.5 then...then..I just might jump ship.
How can I complete ANY project without it. ;D

Verlon
08-12-2005, 08:05 AM
Just because you do not need it doesn't mean that someone else doesn't. Now I am clearly in the "don't NEED it" class, but I would not presume to tell others they do not.

You are right in that people do confuse the two far too often, though.

Radamanthys
08-12-2005, 08:14 AM
I think Mac users realy NEED it, since the 8.3 encounter many bugs/crashes in os X.4.

colkai
08-12-2005, 08:15 AM
No one told ME that!

I been waiting on a project that uses the new hologram technology,and if LW doesn't include it in 8.5 then...then..I just might jump ship.
Ya not well, ya know that right?
:twak: :screwy: :lol:

Matt
08-12-2005, 09:39 AM
Forget about it and it'll be out before you know. Wait for it and it'll take forever.

I agree, a watched pot never boils!

:D

badllarma
08-12-2005, 10:10 AM
How can I complete ANY project without it. ;D

you on the :beta:team as well then :lol:

ACLOBO
08-12-2005, 12:46 PM

If you see this an a veiled insult, then that is your problem.. That is not my intent. My intent is to get the point across that 8.5 does not have any magic bells and whistles in terms of greater functionality (no whiz bang tools). IT is basically an improved version with better interactivity (openGL and fixed dynamics). SO, essentially it is a refined version of what we have. Sorry if you took it the wrong way, but like I said, that is on your end not here. I am just annoyed by the impatience and instant gratification thing. It will be released when it is ready - be patient and work with your existing version, so that you can really appreciate the little improvements here and there.

-Adrian

DragonFist
08-12-2005, 01:00 PM
If you see this an a veiled insult, the that is your problem.. That is not my intent. My intent is to get teh point across taht 8.5 does not have any magic bells and whistles in terms of greater functionality (no whiz bang tools). IT is basically an improved version with better interactivity (openGL and fixed dynamics). SO, essentially it is a refined version of what we have. Sorry if you took it the wrong way, but like I said, that is on your end not here. I am just annoyed by the impatience and instant gratification thing. It will be released when it is ready - be patience and work with your existing version, so that you can really appreciate the littel improvements here and there.

-Adrian

Then you have entirely missed my point. Read my posts again. I am simply defending why people expected it just after the show. Because it was said that it would be. That is all. When I then receive statements about my skills in response to that, I get annoyed. I don't even care about the release date. I continue to work on my projects. But people acting like the other posters are off their nut for expecting something when it was announced is shows a inability to observe the obvious. People were told it was coming out just after the show and then when they wonder where it is, others go "Why are you expecting it?" and I watch them say over and over that it was supposed to and this gets ignored in the forum. It is rather annoying to watch. So I communication that it is natural to expect something that is announced and I get told "What's your hurry, it won't improve your skill."

I am sorry, but it is not my "problem" that I see insult in that. It contains insult. No matter how you butter it. And it has nothing to do with what I was talking about. All it takes is to look at it. If someone told you that Blah will be available just after the show and you showed up just after the show for Blah, would you appreciate several people standing around going, "Why are you waiting? What made you think it would be available? It isn't going to be available for two weeks, doh!"

That is what this thread is.

IgnusFast
08-12-2005, 01:03 PM
I think Mac users realy NEED it, since the 8.3 encounter many bugs/crashes in os X.4.

I hear that! I was having so many problems with Lightwave on my Mac that I moved back to the PC for the time being. Granted, most of the crashes stopped when I disabled the Hub, but I still have a major Surface Editing bug that's killing me!

MAN, but OpenGL is so much faster in Windows it's not even funny!!!

On a complete side note, has anyone ever done timing tests with FPrime on different machines? Granted the resolution on the PC is lower, but I'm rendering the EXACT same scene with FPrime on my PC and my Mac. Specs are as follows:
PC - Athlon 64 3300+, 1GB DDR 400, Windows Home, 1680x1250
Mac - Dual 2GHz G5, 1.5GB DDR 400, OS X Tiger, 1280x1024
The PC in this scenario is exactly twice as fast. I'm going to run the same scenes tonight after work at the same resolution to be sure, but I thought the Dual machine would have been a little faster...

ACLOBO
08-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Then you have entirely missed my point. Read my posts again. I am simply defending why people expected it just after the show. Because it was said that it would be. That is all. When I then receive statements about my skills in response to that, I get annoyed. I don't even care about the release date. I continue to work on my projects. But people acting like the other posters are off their nut for expecting something when it was announced is shows a inability to observe the obvious. People were told it was coming out just after the show and then when they wonder where it is, others go "Why are you expecting it?" and I watch them say over and over that it was supposed to and this gets ignored in the forum. It is rather annoying to watch. So I communication that it is natural to expect something that is announced and I get told "What's your hurry, it won't improve your skill."

I am sorry, but it is not my "problem" that I see insult in that. It contains insult. No matter how you butter it. And it has nothing to do with what I was talking about. All it takes is to look at it. If someone told you that Blah will be available just after the show and you showed up just after the show for Blah, would you appreciate several people standing around going, "Why are you waiting? What made you think it would be available? It isn't going to be available for two weeks, doh!"

That is what this thread is.

I see your point. I will keep my mouth shut...

-Adrian

Radamanthys
08-13-2005, 01:57 AM
I hear that! I was having so many problems with Lightwave on my Mac that I moved back to the PC for the time being. Granted, most of the crashes stopped when I disabled the Hub, but I still have a major Surface Editing bug that's killing me!

MAN, but OpenGL is so much faster in Windows it's not even funny!!!

On a complete side note, has anyone ever done timing tests with FPrime on different machines? Granted the resolution on the PC is lower, but I'm rendering the EXACT same scene with FPrime on my PC and my Mac. Specs are as follows:
PC - Athlon 64 3300+, 1GB DDR 400, Windows Home, 1680x1250
Mac - Dual 2GHz G5, 1.5GB DDR 400, OS X Tiger, 1280x1024
The PC in this scenario is exactly twice as fast. I'm going to run the same scenes tonight after work at the same resolution to be sure, but I thought the Dual machine would have been a little faster...

looking at the resolution you provide, i think its clear, if there was a disadvantage due to resolution it would go to the PC with the higher resolution.
As for the OpenGL speed difference its incredible:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=38955

I initialy bought the mac to sepparate my job (pc) from my hobby, but for Lightwave (hobby) i cant stand the speed (and the crashes) on the mac, and i'm waitting to see if this has improved on lw 8.5

Chuck
08-13-2005, 07:25 AM
If you're continuing the precident set by LW8, take the estimated release time and add 10 months.

When LightWave [8] was announced the release was estimated for 4th quarter of 2003, which meant anywhere up to December 31st 2003 would have been on time. Release was delayed, however, and subsequently it shipped to pre-order customers in April 2004.

T-Light
08-13-2005, 07:46 AM
Chuck-

it shipped to pre-order customers in April 2004

Tis true, just felt like 10 months :D

Nice to see you back in here Chuck, did you write from Texas or an Internet Cafe on a beach :thumbsup:

jeremyhardin
08-13-2005, 08:01 AM
... and to fix the bug which is that can't open obj file on a mac.

you can't open obj on your mac? i can just fine.

I did initially have trouble exporting obj's on my mac and reopening them in lw. consequently it was the same old line endiing in a text file problem. i opened the obj file in "Smultron" (the text editor i use to lscript for mac and pc to preserve line endings) and resaved it. worked like a charm.

is this similiar to your problem?

JML
08-13-2005, 09:09 AM
you can't open obj on your mac? i can just fine.

now, that's disturbing..

where are your obj files from ?

I tried opening lots of OBJ object saved from FormZ 3.9 or 4 and it would crash modeller on osx.
I sent some of those obj files to somebody at the developpement team and
the person (Deuce I think) said it would be fix in 8.5.
and I REALLY hope it will be fix.. this is extremely important for us.

Intuition
08-13-2005, 10:12 AM
Thats crazy, I was so busy I didn't even know about Lightwave 8.0 until about a week before Lightwave shipped it to me. I ordered when I found out about it and it was at my door in a week. Turned out it was just released.

I was lucky. I didn't have the xmas eve syndrome.

T-Light
08-13-2005, 10:27 AM
Intuition-

Thats crazy, I was so busy I didn't even know about Lightwave 8.0 until about a week before Lightwave shipped it to me
Jump on the LW 9 bandwagon now so as not to miss out...Things should start really heating up around here within a few weeks. :D :compbeati