PDA

View Full Version : Leather Wallet

etobiason
08-11-2005, 08:29 AM
Created this for a pharmaceutical ad. I created skelegons for posing the photos and the wallet. Texture displacement for the embossed leather around the "APP", I modeled in extra geometry in that area for the purpose. I drew the stray threads in by hand using Photoshop, for the main threads I just used rail clone.

I used Background radiosity and an HDR image, as well as G2. The leather texture is from Marlin Studio's Fabulous Fabrics texture CD.

Mebek
08-11-2005, 10:49 AM
My question of course is, are those their real products or did they just come with the wallet? :)

Seriously, this is great work. I love the wallet especially, very nice detail and simple modeling to achieve it. I love the leather look and the stitching. The one thing I'd probably look into is perhaps softening the reflections in the accordion plastic sleeves (but then again they might really be that reflective, I've never had one of these things in my wallet so I wouldn't know).

etobiason
08-11-2005, 10:56 AM
I've never had one either, and couldn't find one who did have one! For the reflection I turned it down to 0% at 90, so when you're looking straight at it it isn't reflective at all. It starts to get reflective at an angle... not right away, I gave it an arc of 0% reflectivity, not just when it's exactly head on. All this was arbitrary, of course. I wanted it to be non-reflective at near direct angles so you can feasibly see the pictures in the sleeves. The rest, well, that was just personal taste. I think you might be right, some softness to the reflection could have been nice.

artecnl
08-11-2005, 11:37 PM
hi . Great model men, ok there is a question, how do yo start to model the wallet, a box or splines? seriously, 5 stars job, great texturing, it will be god if you give me some uv advices :D

:thumbsup:

starbase1
08-12-2005, 03:09 AM
Very nice - the contrast between the leather and the plastic makes both look a lot more realistic I think.

You are dead right about the gradient on reflection - I think I NEVER do a reflection without this kind of gradient, (well, unless modelling a mirror!).

Nick

etobiason
08-12-2005, 07:56 AM
how do yo start to model the wallet, a box or splines?

I started with a box. Made divisions, subpatch, knife bandsaw etc. FI's Wrinkle (http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1654) helped a lot too. I save steps along the way, so I attached a GIF file below which will show you how I proceeded.

Before I made the UV map I made a morph target, then altered the model to bring the sides out and flatten the crease in the center. I wanted the sides to appear, from the top view, as wide as they were deep. I even brought the bottom out a bit. Then I captured the UV from the morph target using the Y axis.

Whit
08-12-2005, 08:30 AM
The whole thing is very nice! I especially like the little stray fibers where the stitching ends.

--Whit

Matt
08-12-2005, 09:22 AM
Awesome work, I'm a big fan of crisp clean renders like this, very well executed and attention to detail.

:bowdown:

etobiason
08-12-2005, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys! I was happy with the results on this one myself.

artecnl
08-14-2005, 12:32 PM
Well thankyou very much for the info, great advice, great job, :D