PDA

View Full Version : Fprime high-res renders

mbaldwin
08-11-2005, 08:29 AM
For a print guy like me, this is huge. I'm rendering 100mb, 10,000 px-wide images with no problem. I'd be curious to see how high people are able to go.

Fprime 2.0 is phenomenal. Thanks Worley Labs!

-m.

tektonik
08-11-2005, 09:37 AM
in what is it better at high-rez ?

is it better (more capable) than with low-ram targa ?

does-it allocate memory differently ?

mbaldwin
08-11-2005, 10:51 AM
with an F9 render I was able to maybe squeeze a 3000 pixel width render out of LW. (I'm on a Mac G5, your mileage may vary).

With FPrime 1.0 series(saved in photoshop format), I was able to push this same scene to 5200 pixels across without the app crashing.

With FPrime 2.0, I'm able to render out at 10,000 pixels across without any problems. I haven't tested how high I can go with the render resolution; the SIGNIFICANT thing is that, even at 10,000 pixels wide, I can safely cover off on virtually any print request–from single page adwork to larger point-of-sale collateral, posters, kiosks, etc. This is a huge deal for the print world of 3d, and certainly worth noting.

byte_fx
08-11-2005, 11:33 AM
What type of imaging are you doing?

Truly realistic?

byte_fx

theo
08-11-2005, 02:29 PM
Baldwin- how long did it take to render your 10,000 PX image?

tektonik
08-11-2005, 02:32 PM
time and the concept of deadline have disapeared from my mind with fprime

tou stop it when you need it :)

theo
08-11-2005, 02:50 PM
time and the concept of deadline have disapeared from my mind with fprime

tou stop it when you need it :)

I have FPrime and your comment is debatable Tek, in my opinion. FPrime is largely over-rated as a final rendering tool, in my opinion, again, but this 10,000 px render is what has my attention and I am still wondering how much time it took to be visually acceptable for hi-res printing which I do quite a bit of myself.

mbaldwin
08-11-2005, 04:20 PM
hey tektonik, I got stuck in meetings and work since my posts--I'll cough up some details tonight.

Has anyone else played with mega-renders? Bring on the testimonials!

-m.

Wade
08-11-2005, 06:41 PM
I will and will let you know.

mbaldwin
08-11-2005, 08:49 PM
What type of imaging are you doing?

Truly realistic?

byte_fx

I'm all over the place as to style. Here's some LW corporate work done last year:

mbaldwin
08-11-2005, 08:52 PM
And here is a more detailed style, also for print:

mbaldwin
08-11-2005, 08:57 PM
I have FPrime and your comment is debatable Tek, in my opinion. FPrime is largely over-rated as a final rendering tool, in my opinion, again, but this 10,000 px render is what has my attention and I am still wondering how much time it took to be visually acceptable for hi-res printing which I do quite a bit of myself.

Theo,

For the 100mb image, it took about 12hrs for an acceptable resolution. I personally find Fprime totally awesome for final renders. I think the lesson I learned(slowly) is to do what you can in post, with tools like photoshop. For me it's more efficient than trying to tweak everything within a 3d environment. Especially since still images don't require the continuity issues frame by frame like animation does.

JML
08-11-2005, 09:17 PM
now, I think the only major thing missing to Fprime is to be able to render on a network.

since LW renderer has been separated from layout, maybe in the future, you will be able to select which renderer you want render with.
and screamernet being able to render with both renderer..

that would be nice, very nice.

colkai
08-12-2005, 02:55 AM
Naff all to do with FPrime bur D.A.M.N. - I love that car! :thumbsup:

Steve McRae
08-12-2005, 07:39 AM
nice work mbaldwin!

theo
08-12-2005, 08:22 AM
Thanks Baldwin- great work as well!

Here is a quickie file here of one if my own jobs- this involved a ton of other promo materials as well as large format banners and web.

------------------------------

mbaldwin
08-12-2005, 03:16 PM
Theo,

Great art! You really captured the hyper-rad-design-vibe-thing that those bike rally posters have. Reminds me of summer.

Coincidentally, when I was designing the DragonWagon hot rod(image that i just posted)I thought up a whole back story. I even designed a poster to go with the event--except I was shooting for something from the early 70's. From the time when Ed 'Big Daddy' Roth and others were designing their pop-culture masterpieces. I wanted my Rod to feel from the same time. Here's the poster I came up with:

mbaldwin
08-12-2005, 03:21 PM
To slide this back on topic again, I hope Fprime 2.0 liberates all you other Print illustrators like it has me. No more Res constraints! Whoo hoo! It's something I don't mind shouting about.

Theo, thanks for sharing your print stuff. If anyone else wants to share some pics, feel free.

-m.

theo
08-12-2005, 03:33 PM
Sweet stuff Baldwin. I am glad you started this thread as I am going to start really getting into FPrime again.

Bigboy
08-13-2005, 04:55 AM
Naff all to do with FPrime bur D.A.M.N. - I love that car! :thumbsup:
I agree.... the Car is stunning! Any chance of posting the first image as a 1280x1024 (or higher) so I can use it as a backdrop!!! :D

Fantastic work mate.

mbaldwin
08-13-2005, 08:01 AM
I agree.... the Car is stunning! Any chance of posting the first image as a 1280x1024 (or higher) so I can use it as a backdrop!!! :D

Fantastic work mate.

Thanks!

This image is about 80% there. I was holding off finishing it until G2 could work with Fprime. Now there's nothing stopping me. I'm going to try finishing this up, and then will post a higher res file.