PDA

View Full Version : Quick! Short but Honest G2 feedback needed!

kevinmcpoland
08-10-2005, 07:16 AM
Okay, I appreciate the Worley web pages advertising makes the G2 plugin look like one of the most essential pieces of software needed, but with so many other things requiring my money (software updates seem to be screaming out of everywhere at the mo!), I would like to ask any users for their quick but honest review of the G2 plug...

For this, I don't just mean "It's great, you must get it...", but more about what it can do that LW can't, and just as important (if not more importantly), the negatives of your expectations (how it doesn't measure up to expectations). Is it just speed of setting up lighting, or does it do stuff too complex to set up yourself? The video's on the Worley site do show an awful lot of options to the user, but are they intuitive? etc etc

I have put "quick" in the post because the G2 sale for $299 is only on a couple more days, so any feedback now is appreciated...

Thanks all,

Kev McP

pooby
08-10-2005, 07:30 AM
It HASN'T been the most intuitive thing to use, partly because we've grown used to the instant results of Fprime, however, that's not relevant now as you can see it update in real time.

The SSS works seems to work much better than it did before Fprime was linked.
The ability to choose which lights affect which surface by how much, is potentially very useful.
It just gives you far more control over nearly every aspect of texturing. You are able to add 3 levels of specularity, and control reflections and make them not react to bump maps etc. there's all sorts of great things which are much better explained on Worley's site than me whipping through them.
It really is worth buying as long as you think you'll use it. It's like having a suite of about 30 different and quite powerful shaders.
There's no point getting it for a quick fun toy to play with though.. It's complex, and rightly so.
If you need what it offers, then get it. Don't be put off by the lack of great examples of what it can do.. I'm sure we'll see it being put to a lot more use in the future.
Now it shows up instantly, it's MUCH easier to work with. The only thing is, the results in Fprime don't seem to be exactly the same as an F9 render.. in fact, with SSS, I have found it to be totally different. If you just use Fprime, then that's not an issue, but it's a pain if you want to network render.

Alex Rooth
08-10-2005, 07:52 AM
Hi Kevin

I would agree with Pooby's comments. I would get it if you have a specific need for it at the moment, or are likely to have a specific need for it in the future. If your budget is limited, and you just want something cool to play with, I would put it off for a while. Get FPrime instead if you haven't already got it. I have FPrime and G2. I haven't used G2 much but have used FPrime every time I switch on LW.

Also, the benefits of G2 have been discussed quite a lot on these forums so I would do a search for those threads.

Alex

Alex Rooth
08-10-2005, 07:54 AM
PS I have just noticed my avatar - I used G2 on that for the skin, followed by (a lot of) Photoshop.

w_will
08-10-2005, 08:10 AM
Most people seem to miss the most valuable and obvious advantage of G2. Lighting! It gives realtime feedback of your lights. It did this before Fprime. If your lighting is spot on perfect everytime, and you have a very strong photo background then you probably do not need the help. I have found my lighting skills have more than trippled becuase I can more easily see what changing lighting parameters does instantly without hundreds of F9 refreshes. Fprime gives this same lighting feedback, but G2 gives more control over how the lights interact with your scene. I would recommend it if all it did was make lighting easier. You can throw a plain white Box or Sphere into an scene and get your lights spot on in seconds. Maybe not the short and sweet answer you were looking for. I do agree with the not always the most intuative tool statements, but there are plenty of things in lightwave that have this issue, so most of us are used to that. Hope this helps.

kevinmcpoland
08-10-2005, 10:33 AM
Thanks so far guys...can I just ask then, do you assign G2 to each seperate object or light, or do you run it and it just allows you to pick up and edit the individual components in a scene...? (like surpasses..I think)

Kev McP

Nigel Baker
08-10-2005, 11:44 AM
Kevin, hello there.

You can assign G2 to all objects within a scene or on an individual bases, if you wish,

Celshader
08-10-2005, 01:28 PM
Is G2's "Art Mode" meant only for stills, or can it be used for animations?

Any G2 "Art Mode" galleries out there, beyond the one on the Worley site?

Mebek
08-10-2005, 03:07 PM
I don't have G2 but I thought "art mode" looked incredibly cool and that there would be tons of stuff done with it. I know it's one the features I'd like to see! Although one wonders if it couldn't be faked in native LW ... :question:

ColinCohen
08-10-2005, 03:45 PM
I don't have G2 but I thought "art mode" looked incredibly cool and that there would be tons of stuff done with it. I know it's one the features I'd like to see! Although one wonders if it couldn't be faked in native LW ... :question:

http://www.altyna.com/lw/Gmilartmode.htm

It seems c4d's art shader works on a similar principle.

I, too, would like to see animations made using art mode.

theo
08-11-2005, 02:26 PM
G2 is cool......But the first thing I would do is exhaust your level of ability with the existing LW surface editor- when you have completely stretched the LW surface editor to its outermost limits THEN get G2....you'll be ready at this time and I mean ready as G2 is a bit complex.